Page 27 of 63 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Amateur Radio

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Could you be hiking in a weak signal area, and your phone is cranking up the power?
    I agree that when the phone needs to crank up the power to stay in touch with a tower the battery burns quickly. Not the case here. I'm a regular in the state park we hike in and I know the cell coverage. In the more moderate weather (above freezing) my phone has done fine on the same route. I made sure there were no Apps running in the background and turned off Bluetooth & Wifi (and tried it with both on). Nothing helps the battery gets smoked when the temp hits the teens and below.

This is an iPhone 7 that I have had for too long. It is a work issued phone and I'm not due for a refresh (new phone) till 3/22/22 according to the corporate website. Actually about 2 years ago when my phone was up for replacement (the 1st time) I ordered a phone. I have a new never used iPhone 10 in my desk in its factory box. I opted not to use it due to a specific vulnerability that model has to helium gas. When exposed the phone shuts down for a solid 48 hours and then the battery is stone dead. co-workers have had their iPhone 8 through 10 models go tits up. When I discovered I was sent a 10 I never took it out of the box.

One of my HTs also has the AM Airband on it and carrying that would allow me to contact via line of sight an aircraft at altitude if I needed help. Having worked the Space Shuttle 6 times back in the day with a hand held radio and 5 watts, it seems like good back up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    One of my HTs also has the AM Airband on it and carrying that would allow me to contact via line of sight an aircraft at altitude if I needed help. Having worked the Space Shuttle 6 times back in the day with a hand held radio and 5 watts, it seems like good back up for me.
    I thought most of the Ham radios that covered other bands were receive only.

My FT-70D.

Commercial Grade VHF / UHF
    The FT-70DR is built to commercial grade standards, including the IP54 Rating for Dust and Water protection, making this radio suitable for operation in the harshest of environments.
    Wide band receive coverage
    108 MHz - 580 MHz, continuous reception for aircraft bands, public service channels, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I agree that when the phone needs to crank up the power to stay in touch with a tower the battery burns quickly. Not the case here. I'm a regular in the state park we hike in and I know the cell coverage. In the more moderate weather (above freezing) my phone has done fine on the same route. I made sure there were no Apps running in the background and turned off Bluetooth & Wifi (and tried it with both on). Nothing helps the battery gets smoked when the temp hits the teens and below.

This is an iPhone 7 that I have had for too long. It is a work issued phone and I'm not due for a refresh (new phone) till 3/22/22 according to the corporate website. Actually about 2 years ago when my phone was up for replacement (the 1st time) I ordered a phone. I have a new never used iPhone 10 in my desk in its factory box. I opted not to use it due to a specific vulnerability that model has to helium gas. When exposed the phone shuts down for a solid 48 hours and then the battery is stone dead. co-workers have had their iPhone 8 through 10 models go tits up. When I discovered I was sent a 10 I never took it out of the box.
    1. I’d be worried about being stone dead myself after helium exposure.

2. Does it make your phone voice all high and squeaky?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The iPhone helium vulnerability was discovered a few years ago when entire Radiology departments had their phones go dead. The presence of a MRI machine nearby venting miniscule amounts of helium was enough to pickle a phone.

Helium is actually very safe, and is the bulk of the gas mixture for deep sea diving.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    I thought most of the Ham radios that covered other bands were receive only.

My FT-70D.

Commercial Grade VHF / UHF
    The FT-70DR is built to commercial grade standards, including the IP54 Rating for Dust and Water protection, making this radio suitable for operation in the harshest of environments.
    Wide band receive coverage
    108 MHz - 580 MHz, continuous reception for aircraft bands, public service channels, etc.
    Some radios can be opened up to transmit on non-amateur bands (MARS mod), but it's not legal for regular hams to transmit in those areas (technically everything is legal in an emergency). However, few HTs support transmitting on AM, so I'm not sure how that would work on the majority of radios. I have an HT that will transmit on AM, but only for the 6 meter band (50mhz).

Chris

Site Supporter
    The iPhone helium vulnerability was discovered a few years ago when entire Radiology departments had their phones go dead. The presence of a MRI machine nearby venting miniscule amounts of helium was enough to pickle a phone.
    I was going to ask how you found out about your phone and helium. It's certainly not something I'm likely to run into.

Chris

Antenna recommendation for QRP 6m radio

[Un-Apologetically changing topics]

I recently got a new QRP radio which does 6m. I have zero experience with 6m but have used EFHW antennas exclusively for SOTA/POTA, etc.

Can anyone recommend a QRP antenna for 6m? New radio does not have an ATU.

Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2xAGM114 View Post
    [Un-Apologetically changing topics]

I recently got a new QRP radio which does 6m. I have zero experience with 6m but have used EFHW antennas exclusively for SOTA/POTA, etc.

Can anyone recommend a QRP antenna for 6m? New radio does not have an ATU.

Thanks.
    You can build or buy a 6m EFHW. LNR sells (or used to at least) one. A ham I know uses one for SOTA and I've done Summit-to-Summit contacts with him. He used his LNR EFHW on 6m and I used my homebrew one with my VX-7r.

If you're adept at building stuff, check out The Radio Prepper (spoken with a ridiculous French accent) on Youtube. He has a video (last year) about making 6m EFHW antennas for QRP. If you want, I can probably scrounge up a mix 61 toroid (.5" or .8") and sufficient magnet wire for you to build your own with.

Arrow Antenna makes a portable 6m rigid dipole that's about $75 shipped. Or, just make a standard dipole. Of course, horizontal dipoles are better for CW/SSB, while a vertical antenna will be a better option for FM comms. The nice thing about EFHWs is you can oriented it either way. My buddy uses one of my homebrew 6m EFHWs hung horizontally for 6m SSB/CW when we do SOTA or VHF contesting with his FT-818.

Chris

User Tag List