Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket holster goo

Site Supporter

Pocket holster goo

So it's hot in TX. Despite my knowledge and general negative attitudes towards the 5 is enough club and you are a commando nut for carrying a big old Glock and extra mags, I have wandered around with a G42 in a DeSantis pocket holster in cargo shorts. However, I do want an extra mag. In the box of forgotten crap, I found a small Uncle Mike's felt (or whatever) small pocket pistol holster. I think it was for a crappy Taurus PT-22 from many years ago (what a piece of junk). It would hold the G42 reasonably well and upright. I use it a bit in the 100 degree days. The other day I take out the mag and it feels really sticky. I look at the top round and it is covered with black junk. The mag was rounds down into the holster. I feel inside and it is all sticky. I don't down what it is constructed with but it sure made a mess. Had to clean it all.

Going to buy a better pocket mag pouch. Duh. My pocket gun holsters are DeSantis and no goo problems from them on the G42 or J frames.

So, maybe I will become an extremist commando type again and wear the 9mm and extra mag on my belt with a floppy shirt. Such decisions.

Some types of rubber and adhesives break down over time and can create a gooey mess. If its been around for a while and in any kind of heat/humidity then some stuff can get messy.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Arizona is also hot. I have also been going G42 in a Vedder kydex pocket holster and tucked in shirt. Spare magazine sits next to my wallet sans pocket pouch- but I have had a few lint balls under the top round. Thinking pouch might be smart.

Natural leather sewn with nylon thread doesn't tend to leak goo anywhere.

For pouches - scraps from Tandy do just fine.

I recently got a Wilderness Pocket Mag Pouch.
    Haven't really tested it yet. One thing, I think there should be a "bite tab" so when you pull it out, you bite the tab and pull the mag loose.
    That's kinda my plan, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I recently got a Wilderness Pocket Mag Pouch.
    Haven't really tested it yet. One thing, I think there should be a "bite tab" so when you pull it out, you bite the tab and pull the mag loose.
    That's kinda my plan, anyway.
    I dunno 'bout biting anything - but some hook side velcro or some grip tape/200-grit sand paper on the outside of the pouch will generally grab enough to let things loose without issue.

From my old LCP thread, a pic with my Claude Werner inspired, 2 liter bottle plastic, staples and duct tape pocket mag pouch.

Just do it.

Gringop

Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I found that the best way to carry a spare magazine for the Glock 42 was in a second Glock 42.

Site Supporter
    If you spent $9.00 many years ago and it's just now giving trouble I would buy another. I have a few of them but have never noticed them breaking down. Pretty sure my pocket isn't the nicest environment during the hot summer months.

Not sure if you've considered them, but Raven Concealment makes a nifty pocket organizer called the Pocket Shield. It's basically an injection molded panel with slots cut into it that you can attach anything you'd ever want to it. Neat design.

User Tag List