Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrests don't get any easier than this

Drunks stopping to ask for directions, suspended drivers driving to their court appearance, drug pushers wanting someone arrested for shorting them, been there done all that. Thank God they aren't all raving geniuses.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    In my state after you make an OWI arrest the arrested party can be released to a responsible party who will sign the waiver form. The responsible party has to be sober and have a valid photo ID with a current address.

And sometimes the responsible party drives over and you discover they are suspended or revoked or wanted or drunk themselves. About once a year I get involved in a situation where the responsible party in a case like that gets cited or arrested.

But recently we've had a BUNCH of instances in the last few years where the responsible party is currently suspended or revoked but comes to get their friend in a taxi or an Uber, and as long as they're sober, that's okay.
    Last edited by Jeff22; 06-14-2018 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Drunks stopping to ask for directions, suspended drivers driving to their court appearance, drug pushers wanting someone arrested for shorting them, been there done all that. Thank God they aren't all raving geniuses.
    The quote I heard on a LivePD episode a few weeks ago was, "We're really good at catching the stupid ones."

This was after a woman who called the police, was arrested. She was complaining that her husband came home drunk for the 50th time in a row (or whatever) and she punched him in the face. She injured her hand and wanted to file a police report. The arresting officer had a great deal more decorum than I would have had, he very calmly said, "Ma'am, you're telling me you punched your husband in the face when he was drunk and injured your hand?"

"Yes! And I want to file charges, he hurt me!"

"You're under arrest ma'am."

___

I don't think I coulda done that with a straight face. My hat's off to those of y'all who can.

Site Supporter
    Heard from a friend on the job...

"We catch mostly the dumb ones, but we catch so many!"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    In my state after you make an OWI arrest the arrested party can be released to a responsible party who will sign the waiver form. The responsible party has to be sober and have a valid photo ID with a current address.

And sometimes the responsible party drives over and you discover they are suspended or revoked or wanted or drunk themselves. About once a year I get involved in a situation where the responsible party in a case like that gets cited or arrested.

But recently we've had a BUNCH of instances in the last few years where the responsible party is currently suspended or revoked but comes to get their friend in a taxi or an Uber, and as long as they're sober, that's okay.
    While assisting with a checkpoint, I was a witness to the following: Female driver arrested for DUI, two young children in the vehicle. Officers agreed to release the children to a relative rather than have DCS collect them, and officers then call the father informing him of the situation. He agreed to pick the children up. Having been told that his girlfriend was just arrested for DUI by those same officers he spoke to on the phone, the father of the children shows up to collect them and is also found to be DUI.

My guess is that the DCS worker didn't have to work very hard.

I reported this one elsewhere but it's worth a replay...

In what I call the "Dialing For Dopers Caper", a late DEA partner of mine was "interviewing" a perp we had arrested with several hundred kilos of coke secreted within hollowed out books. He was giving Paul a really hard time and eventually I went in and read him the riot act.

He began to cooperate and gave us a phone number which was supposedly where we could get in touch with his co-conspirators.

I spoke reasonably fluent Spanish back then and I called the number, (which turned out to be a gym), and told the guys in a panic that the "merchandise" was compromised, and that I was leaving it at the self storage unit (where the original perp was going to bring it). The guy who answered the phone told me that I should wait with it and he'd be along later to take care of it.

We put a team armed with SMG's around the rental unit and waited. About an hour or two later three strapping Cuban dudes showed up, armed, and asked to be shown the "mercancia" (merchandise). We showed them and then arrested them before they could load up their vehicle with the coke.

Turned out, after a long interview, that they had nothing to do with the case from the get-go but were simply responding when "opportunity knocked". The number the perp had given me was just made up on the spot out of the thin air. What were the odds that I'd call a number at random and hook up with a few mopes in search of a score?

You can't make this stuff up.
    I asked the ringleader how he knew to go there to pick up the load. He said some Colombian guy called him and told him that the dope was about to be seized by the police. "And yet you still went?"

The look on his face when he found out that this "Anglo" was the "Colombian" he had spoken to was priceless.
    Last edited by blues; 06-15-2018 at 06:07 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I agree, sometimes arrests are easy,and you can't make some of this stuff up. I've arrested several people in the lobby of the PD. Once a suspect vehicle crashed after a pursuit. We called a wrecker to tow the car. Wrecker driver rolled up drunk, and was of course, arrested. My partner and I once arrested a burglar who'd cut himself breaking class to gain entry to a residence. We insulted him by telling him he couldn't even do a burglary right, and bet he'd never even been able to steal anything at a burglary without hurting himself. Burglar was so offended he showed us another house he'd broken into, without hurting himself, and stolen jewelry. We recovered the stolen jewelry, and booked the burglar for the second burglary. It goes on and on

Site Supporter
    I was following a car/ suspected DUI one night, just as I was reaching for the overhead lights he stops and jumps out; yells “you got me, I’m drunk” . I mailed a letter to a burglar to come get his “check” for selling stolen golf clubs. Low hanging fruit indeed.

Site Supporter
    I might have told this before:

When I was in high school (Erasmus Hall in Brooklyn), the school fronted on a shopping street (Flatbush Avenue). Around the corner from the school was the local precinct - the 67 th according to google today. It is in the afternoon about the time of a shift change with tens of officers and some horses in front of the precinct. A guy grabs a woman's purse on the street. He runs down the street as she yells that he grabbed her purse. He turns the corner towards the precinct with folks chasing and yelling at him. Of course, I follow as a kid. All the officers and horsies lined up charge towards the guy like a movie. He reverses and runs back down Flatbush Avenue with the Charge of the Light Brigade after him. This is the truth, I see one officer draw his gun (the old wheel gun). Another says - Oh, for God's sake. The officer reholsters. I was standing right next to them. The miscreant makes the turn on to Church Avenue where he is swarmed in front of the Kenmore theater. I see an arm waving a purse sticking out from the the scrum and he is yellling - I didn't do nothing!

A squad arrives and he is shoved into it. He looks rather battered and worse for wear. A Brooklynite says to an officer: Hey, wha happened to him! An officer responds: Well, sir - he fell down. You could fall down, sir.

The citizen replies that is quite alright and the miscreant is taken to wherever such went at the time.

The crowd of HS school kids like me who ran up and down the streets following the charge were delighted by the show.

We train in secluded, dark commercial business districts oftentimes. We’ll have 6-8 Tahoe’s parked on a dark street. While we’re waiting to run our dog on the training search we stand in the dark. It’s amazing how often BoB (Burglar on Bike) shows up riding dark without a light. You can actually see when he notices all the cop cars because the pace slows and the bike weaves back and forth while he’s deciding what to do. Most of them try to brazen it past us whistling by the graveyard but they always get told to stop. It’s amazing how many warrants you can clear sometimes.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List