Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do Criminals Carry?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Crooks carry guns for more varied reasons than good guys. They carry for self defense against rival crooks (dope/gangs), they carry to evade/resist arrest by the police, and they carry to commit acts of violence and crime against their victims. As such their carry methods vary more. The vehicle thing is really common for rolling crooks. Mexican carry is usually a sign that theyre on their way to or coming from a crime. One method that's become really common here over the last twenty years, especially amongst the Latin gangs, is the girlfriend holster. Just have your lady hold your heater, in her purse or under her clothes. Cops still hesitate to search the girls...often because of restrictive policies and a lack of female officers. But that's real common here.
    Last edited by AMC; 06-14-2018 at 02:47 AM.

I had a guy concealing a revolver SOB in a folded, stapled piece of cardboard.

The last guy had a small semi auto pistol in his vest pocket. He had his hand on it when I contacted him. There was a square bulge in his pocket. I’m pretty sure if I’d approached him it would’ve been a shooting. My little voice started yelling and I stopped about 15-20 yards away and gave him commands to turn away and keep his hand in his pocket. I was in a fighting stance right hand on my gun ready to draw with my left hand already staged. This was right after a Flagstaff Officer was killed by a guy with a revolver in his jacket pocket. I’m sure he read the body language and complied.

When backup arrived I told them I thought he might have a gun and we approached. I controlled his right hand and arm and when I pulled his hand out of the pocket I saw the gun. He’d told me he didn’t have a gun on him. He also had a spare mag. He got booked that night. He also told us he’d fired a couple shots in the area. I searched really hard but never found any brass.

My boss told me when he read my supplement he couldn’t believe the guy hadn’t tried to shoot me.

I credit Chuck Haggard for the keep your hand in the pocket tactic. It worked that night for sure!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

The origin of “Mexican Carry” is rooted in the disarmament of the Mexican citizen, and is one factor into why most criminals don’t carry with a holster. It’s a hard sell to tell the fuzz “I ain’t have no gun officer” when you’re wearing a damn holster indicating you probably did have a gun.

As such, criminals are generally a creative lot. If the gun will fit, they’ll stash it there. Watch a few episodes of COPS and you’ll see the lengths they’ll go to in order to conceal a firearm.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

JackJack Clemons used to advocate for paying attention to how criminals in your area act, the type of crimes they commit, and their SOP and TTPs if you can. He opined that knowing how they are violent with each other will help you know the way they will likely be violent with you.

Likewise, Varg Freeborn has talked about the way criminals think of and use firearms as being vastly different than most armed good guys. The focus being gross simplicity, violence of action, and 100% commitment. He also talks about how different typea of criminals (High order, low order) may use firearms differently.

So yeah. This is an extremely thought provoking thread and I'd love to read more about methods of criminal carry, potential benefits for the criminal, potential issues, reasoning, TTPs and any other relevant stuff.

-Cory

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    How much do you want to bet that they dropped the felon in possession charge
    Honestly no idea. That never enters into the equation for me and is way outside my lane for sure. I try to stay nice and far away from the legal system.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-14-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    JackJack Clemons used to advocate for paying attention to how criminals in your area act, the type of crimes they commit, and their SOP and TTPs if you can. He opined that knowing how they are violent with each other will help you know the way they will likely be violent with you.

Likewise, Varg Freeborn has talked about the way criminals think of and use firearms as being vastly different than most armed good guys. The focus being gross simplicity, violence of action, and 100% commitment. He also talks about how different typea of criminals (High order, low order) may use firearms differently.

So yeah. This is an extremely thought provoking thread and I'd love to read more about methods of criminal carry, potential benefits for the criminal, potential issues, reasoning, TTPs and any other relevant stuff.

-Cory
    TTP?
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    TTP?
    Tactics
    Techniques
    Procedures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    TTP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Tactics
    Techniques
    Procedures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tactics, Technniques, Procedures. It's a stupid acronym i picked up in the service. Essentially it means the way things are typically done, or the shortcuts and tidbits that help perform tasks.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 06-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Tactics, Technniques, Procedures. It's a stupid acronym i picked up in the service. Essentially it means the way things are typically done, or the shortcuts and tidbits that help perform tasks.

-Cory
    In Colorado Springs more people are beaten to death or stabbed than die of gunshot wounds

Paying attention to the local crime blotter helps a lot in knowing what to predict. In my neighborhood the most common assault is a mugging. It's conducted by 2-4 individuals and occurs most often during the evening rush hours home.

If its two individuals it will be an on foot ambush from a blind alley or sidewalk, 95% of the time a weapon will be implied from a jacket/hoodie pocket, but not shown.

If it's 2-3 individuals 95% of the time it will be two attackers who bailed out of a vehicle to mug the victim. In those instances, it is about 30-70 on an actual gun being present, with the 70% being a physical assault (sucker punch usually) to the victim followed by a snatch and run.

If it's 3-4+ individuals attacks will begin from a vehicle, at least one attacker will be armed (gun) and the others will beat the victim before stealing the goods.

So, what I've learned is attack initiated from a car = higher probability of a weapon (gun) and violence - than a pedestrian based assault. It's also correlated with the number of attackers, more = higher probability of weapon and violence.

What this means is, I would guess that most of the actors are carrying guns in vehicles and only on their person for immediate work and not for any other reason. I've also discovered that guns or implication of gun is the preferred weapon second to fist. Stick and knife are very distant down the list.

User Tag List