Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6-48 screw help

6-48 screw help

Anybody have a source for long (9/16-3/4") oval head torx 6-48 screws? I can only find slotted ones and they start to strip when torqued. Appreciate any help!

If Brownells doesn't have them, I don't know where else to look.

Leupold bases and rings come with torx screws, perhaps try them and see if you can buy the screws if Brownells doesnt pan out.

Fastenal on their www site sells smaller Qty of some pretty obscure stuff. Did you check them? Or McMaster Carr.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Any particular material or finish, e.g. stainless, zinc? Is Torx head ok?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I looked everywhere last year and ended up having to get slotted ones from an ebay seller "swanyriver".
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Quote Originally Posted by SCSU74 View Post
    Anybody have a source for long (9/16-3/4") oval head torx 6-48 screws? I can only find slotted ones and they start to strip when torqued. Appreciate any help!
    What is stripping, the threads or the screwdriver slot? Do you have a screwdriver the fits well in the slot? Are you torquing to spec or just trying to get them really tight by feel?

If you have a good screwdriver that fits the slots correctly and are torquing in the proper range and the slot heads are stripping, they may be soft screws. The common zinc fasteners are commonly so soft they deform very easily. Ive ruined many ordinary wood screws well before they could even be torqued, and some small machine screw driver slots deform very easily. Specialty screws seem hardened better with less problems. Theres been news bits for years of imported (china) hardware being marked up in grade from their true hardness, sometimes resulting in disasters, such as when building broadcast or comms towers where grade is important.

Dont know if it helps, but Ace Hardware has gun screws in various sizes. No idea what head shapes and driver types.
    Last edited by Malamute; 06-12-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Any particular material or finish, e.g. stainless, zinc? Is Torx head ok?
    Torx is preferred, but hex would be fine. They're being used to mount pistol optic so coated or stainless would probably be best

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If Brownells doesn't have them, I don't know where else to look.
    They don't. Also checked McMaster, fastenel and msc

User Tag List