Thread: Blue Loctite in Glock Front Sight Threads

Blue Loctite in Glock Front Sight Threads

So, I’m looking to swap sights on my G19s...again...because I have problems and they’re all in my head.

But the threads in the front sight base has old blue loctite gunked up in it and I need to get it out of there so I can get them installed again tonight. What’s the best way to get that crud out of there?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So, I’m looking to swap sights on my G19s...again...because I have problems and they’re all in my head.

But the threads in the front sight base has old blue loctite gunked up in it and I need to get it out of there so I can get them installed again tonight. What’s the best way to get that crud out of there?

Needle and a cotton swab with acetone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Loctite:
    For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot.
    Last edited by MEH; 06-13-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MEH View Post
    From Loctite:
    For disassembly, shear with standard hand tools and remove with methylene chloride. In rare instances where hand tools do not work because of excessive engagement length, apply localized heat to nut or bolt to approximately 482°F (250°C). Disassemble while hot.
    So basically use a needle and some acetone and if it’s being particularly pesky break out the Bic lighter.

Is the sight already off or are you trying to get it off?
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Is the sight already off or are you trying to get it off?
    The sights are already off. I just need to get the loctite out of the threads that are in the hole where the screw goes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    The sights are already off. I just need to get the loctite out of the threads that are in the hole where the screw goes.

What Dr House said but if the sight is already off there is really no need to remove the old Loctite.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    What Dr House said but if the sight is already off there is really no need to remove the old Loctite.
    There is if I can’t screw the screw back in the hole...

Everyone has their own form of voodoo for installing Glock front sights but I like to use a drop of Red/271 on the underside of the sight where it makes contact with the slide and then just a minimal amount of Blue on the screw threads themselves. This mitigates the screw hole getting mucked up with excessive dried adhesive and the screw itself doesn't do all the work of holding the sight in place.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Everyone has their own form of voodoo for installing Glock front sights but I like to use a drop of Red/271 on the underside of the sight where it makes contact with the slide and then just a minimal amount of Blue on the screw threads themselves. This mitigates the screw hole getting mucked up with excessive dried adhesive and the screw itself doesn't do all the work of holding the sight in place.
    Given my propensity to try new stuff because “it just might work better” even though I’ve proven to myself time and time again that I REALLY need to stop worrying about such things, I typically just use Blue loctite for all that stuff. This time around last night I put way less on the threads and put plenty on the base of the front sight where it rests on the slide. The Dawson front sights really are nice in this respect with how much surface area you can loctite down.

It should hold very well.

User Tag List