Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P spring issues

S&W M&P spring issues

New to forum. Just bought a new M&P 2.0 compact 9mm and stripped it down for cleaning before shooting it and a piece of the recoil spring broke off the end. About 1/8” long. Ran 100 rds thru it and cleaned it. Again, another 1/8” broke off. Racked the slide about a half dozen times and the spring came out over the end of the recoil rod. Anybody else have anything like happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Roncodrummer View Post
    New to forum. Just bought a new M&P 2.0 compact 9mm and stripped it down for cleaning before shooting it and a piece of the recoil spring broke off the end. About 1/8” long. Ran 100 rds thru it and cleaned it. Again, another 1/8” broke off. Racked the slide about a half dozen times and the spring came out over the end of the recoil rod. Anybody else have anything like happen?

Perfectly normal. Simply stuff it back in the end of the slide and drive on.

Actually, I’m completely shitting you. Call Smith tomorrow and have them send you a new one.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-12-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Perfectly normal. Simply stuff it back in the end of the slide and drive on.

Actually, I’m completely shitting you. Call Smith tomorrow and have them send you a new one.

You totally got me! There was a moment of shock, before I made it to your second line.

OP - I have the same pistol, it is my carry piece, I have a tad over 700rd through it. You got a defective part. Let us know how S&W customer service goes (how fast they get a new guide rod assembly out to you). Cool thing - doesn't sound it shut down function, sounds like you could still throw lead with it if you had to.

Unless you are trying to stay stock, you could also use this as a great excuse to switch to a non captive assembly. Kind of like when ya damage a front sight and switch out both
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Update to post: I have since ordered and installed a replacement spring assembly from Midway USA and ran 200 rds flawlessly thru it. Disassembled and cleaned it and the new spring worked like a champ! I will put another 200 rds thru it in the morning. I have a replacement spring assembly coming from Smith and Wesson and when it arrives, I will put it in and run 200-300 rds thru it to see how that works. The rounds I HAVE put thru it were flawless and sweet!!Name:  50016BDF-65FC-42CE-9FF9-06B7E7942157.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  26.4 KB

Update to my update: Just got back from the range, another 350 rds thru the M&P flawlessly! 250 FMJ and 100 Speer Gold Dot 124gr. (my EDC ammo). Replacement spring looks and functions perfectly. I will update when the S&W spring shows up

Glad to hear it! So Smith just owned the issue and said they're sending one? If so, that's reassuring.

Yea, sucks you got a bad part but I'm sure you can see (with that issue aside) it is one helluva shooter. I've been nothing but impressed with mine. In fact, I decided mine was so "right" that I'm not modding it at all. Actually bought a separate gun to slap optics on so that the 2.0 Compact could stay stock.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Yep, S&W put a new spring and rod assembly in the mail the same day they got my pictures. Definitely impressed with the customer service aspect of this whole ordeal. I am so impressed with the firearm, I cleaned it, inspected it thoroughly, and put it in a holster on my hip. I took a whole lot to take my Walther PPQ off my hip

Well, I finally received the replacement spring assembly from S&W. It is WAY too long. They sent me the wrong spring. After all this wait time. Gotta tell ya, the Walther is looking better and better and the S$W is looking like trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Roncodrummer View Post
    Well, I finally received the replacement spring assembly from S&W. It is WAY too long. They sent me the wrong spring. After all this wait time. Gotta tell ya, the Walther is looking better and better and the S$W is looking like trade bait
    Don't be too hasty. Count the number of coils it has and find out what number of coils (and length) the factory spring is supposed to have. The after market spring could be a different length and a different coil count than the factory spring. If there is a problem, contact S&W again and give them a chance to fix it. If your pistol is a compact, the problem could be as simple as thinking your pistol is a standard length.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have contacted S&W a total of 8 times in 2 and a half weeks. I contacted them as soon as the replacement spring arrived yesterday. I was told that ‘‘tis is a very new part for them and that they inadvertently sent me a 4” recoil assembly instead of the 3.6” and they have the correct assembly in the mail to me as of today. I very much understand the fact that this is a very new product to them, however, I sent the model number, serial number and a series of 7 pictures to them and still received the wrong assembly. I will wait another 3 weeks for this assembly to arrive and if it’s wrong, I will not be so patient in my response

User Tag List