Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lasik’s Risks Are Coming Into Sharper Focus

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My "poor correction" took me from unable to go about my daily life without glasses (something like 20/800 vision before surgery to 20/10 vision after). I'd never considered it until I got the job with DynCorp and knew I'd be dealing with a gas mask again and sand storms, etc. Post-Lasik, I didn't have to worry about inserts in my gas mask. I didn't have to be useless in a fight if my glasses broke or fell off. I didn't have to scramble for them when something when bump in the night. Yes, I wear sunglasses but I can wear any sunglasses, leave a set in each vehicle in case I forget them, wear any shooting glasses, etc.

Hair transplants are vanity. Lasik is convenience and the removal of a handicap. Like I said, best money I ever spent.
    My vision was that bad or worse. My lasik correction has me at about 20/30, but I would have done it for 20/80. Not being able to function wothout glasses is not the way I wanted to continue living.
    Last edited by TheNewbie; 06-15-2018 at 04:27 PM.

My "poor correction" took me from unable to go about my daily life without glasses (something like 20/800 vision before surgery to 20/10 vision after). I'd never considered it until I got the job with DynCorp and knew I'd be dealing with a gas mask again and sand storms, etc. Post-Lasik, I didn't have to worry about inserts in my gas mask. I didn't have to be useless in a fight if my glasses broke or fell off. I didn't have to scramble for them when something when bump in the night. Yes, I wear sunglasses but I can wear any sunglasses, leave a set in each vehicle in case I forget them, wear any shooting glasses, etc.

Hair transplants are vanity. Lasik is convenience and the removal of a handicap. Like I said, best money I ever spent.
    If I could like this one thousand times I would.

Doctors wouldn’t do LASIK on me, even confirming I have corneas on the thicker side, my prescription was just too high. My contacts were -12 so my glasses were closer to a -14 IIRC. Print was truly “touch the paper to my nose” to see clearly. Pick an eye and close the other to use a smart phone. Piss by echolocation. Since first grade. I got implantable lenses last year and my only regret is not ponying up to do it sooner. I’m still 20/20 1.5 years later. It was a big enabler for me to make a trip to friggin AFRICA last year that I can hardly imagine making while fighting contacts or worrying about being truly helpless without glasses.

From what I’ve seen if these reports so far I think it has a lot to do with poorly informed patients not being aware of the risks, and that is probably worsened by the “$699 and get a target gift card!!” pricing hocked by the opthamalogical equivalents of the gun show table full of used Taurus pistols.

Much like buying pistols, cars, or any other major health decision — get your fecal matter fully coagulated before jumping on something because it’s cheap and easy, and you’re probably going to be good. You still have to understand the risks and know that this could be the one time you are a unique and special snowflake who will end up with different results.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I got PRK a year or so ago. Honestly, I don't think it was that big of a change in quality of life; my script wasn't as bad as LOKNLOD's, but it was decent, at -8.5 diopters for my contacts. The convenience of not dealing with contacts is counterbalanced by poorer night vision and haloing in low-light; no other negative symptoms, but I guess I've been so used to putting on contacts that it hasn't been a big deal for me, even when doing backcountry shit or firefighting.

I will also agree that my doctors clearly stated to me the potential issues and to temper my expectations, so I'm guessing the folks that got fucked without any other warning went to some cheap-o shop. I paid like 3.5k USD for both my eyes, and that was with the first responder discount. Thankfully, PRK also qualified to be spent using an FSA, so my out-of-pocket expenses were relatively minimal.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-15-2018 at 08:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    I got LASIK because I didn’t want to wind up like Henry Bemis:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I understand the need for special circumstances, those weren't mine - so I go for Henry. I can see pretty decently without my glasses after the cataract operation. Just need bigger letters. When my cataracts came on it was sudden, and not a slow progression. Consequences - all of a sudden driving at night being horrible due to clear. Almost got lost and missed the side of the road (EEK!). Tactically (yet of course for p-f), I went to Givens and went through a dark shoot house. A target had a black gun against a black t-shirt. I totally couldn't see it and looked like an idiot. So I had them done ASAP. The docs said my quick progression to such crappy vision was unusual for some in their 60's.

Funny note. My mom had hers done. She told me that she though she looked pretty good for her age (80's). Then she looks in the mirror and says to me: Damn, I look like the Mummy!

She then goes around telling her girl friends that they all look like the mummy and the makeup is smeared all over.

Site Supporter
    I had LASIK in 2012. I developed blepharitis that required regular doctor visits and prescription medication for 2.5 years. I also still see halos around bright objects (mostly in my left eye), and my eyes sometime don't feel like they are regulated to the same focal point. After the surgery I couldn't do anything for ten days and my eyes didn't feel close to normal for over six months. However, my distance vision is 20-15, so I am a total LASIK success. If I had it to do over, I would definitely not have the surgery.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

My reasons were practical too. Before Lasik I had to wear prescription wrap-around goggles at the dojo all the time. If they got knocked sideways I couldn't see at all and taking the half second to fix them would be painfully costly at times. The surgery solved that problem permanently.

Family member worked for an eye doc. That was was old fashioned (think the equipment that touches your eyes for checkup), but retired two years ago. (no more free/discounted checkups/glasses)
    One of those fly by night discounted places opened up close (effectively done out of a trailer, with rented equipment, by doctors who flew into town for a day or two), and the price was dramatically lower. We regularly saw customers who were waiting for their time to go in. One was back a week later, after tearing his cornea, and had to wait for the doctor to fly back into town. Didn't end well and the trailer/office went away.
    I was told that I was a good candidate for all but one reason. Some of the stuff I work around is an eye irritant and that put me at a greater risk of damage after surgery. I'd love to be able to wake up and see the alarm clock from across the room, but glasses have acted as safety glasses too many times in my life already, that the risk wasn't offset by the cost/benefit.

User Tag List