Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: A Question before buying

I can see that I have some reading to do. All the topics here interest me, and I have a need for every one of them.
    Thanks!

deleted by me.
    Last edited by Mudbug; 06-14-2018 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I think it's pretty easy to say the OP is flinching. He shoots 2" groups at 7 yards with a 22 target pistol but shoots low with a centerfire duty pistol.

Help me OP! You're my only chance!!!

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I second Gadfly's appraisal of police trade-ins. I've had great luck with them over the years. However, I strongly recommend you NOT get a .40. The recoil is much greater than a 9mm, and ammo costs more.

Sticking with 9mm. Seems to be far cheaper than almost anything locally, except .22.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
    I can see that I have some reading to do. All the topics here interest me, and I have a need for every one of them.
    Thanks!
    Joe that’s awesome.

I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    However, I strongly recommend you NOT get a .40. The recoil is much greater than a 9mm, and ammo costs more.
    Oh,I agree. I just found far more used police .40s than 9s. I did not want to spend an hour looking. That was a ten minute search.

You can always get a .40 and drop a 9 conversion barrel in and rock on with ammo options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Oh,I agree. I just found far more used police .40s than 9s. I did not want to spend an hour looking. That was a ten minute search.

You can always get a .40 and drop a 9 conversion barrel in and rock on with ammo options.

This gives you flexibility with ammo but a used .40 plus a conversion barrel is usually as much as a new 9mm. But the 9mm barrel can be bought later deffering the cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post

Yep, and .357 SIG as well should that hankerin' arise. The Glock 23 Gen 4 listed for $359 is rockin'. The 23 is one of the all around best pistols I've ever owned - in just about every way possible. With a 9mm conversion, it's one of the best 9mm's as well. Were the forces of the universe to limit me to one pistol, the 23 would, without question, be it for the versatility and general all around badassery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss
    This gives you flexibility with ammo but a used .40 plus a conversion barrel is usually as much as a new 9mm. But the 9mm barrel can be bought later deffering the cost.
    Don't forget the mags. Can't run 9mm in .40 mags... well... you can physically do it (yes, it had to be tried)... kinda, but no.

Is striker fired a requirement? I think he mentioned he already has a Walther P22? Why not consider a P99? Those were going for stellar prices not long ago.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Don't forget the mags. Can't run 9mm in .40 mags... well... you can physically do it (yes, it had to be tried)... kinda, but no.
    In a Glock - no but Magpul 9mm Glock mags are cheap.

In other guns - 9mm runs just fine out of 40 cal mags - from personal experience SIG 226/229 mags and Beretta 96 mags both work fine with 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Why not consider a P99? Those were going for stellar prices not long ago.
    Pricing and availability on P99s seem to be cyclical. At the moment, they seem to be in the high prices but still available part of the cycle. When I bought mine ~2 years ago, it was a buyer's market for them, and they were barely more expensive than the Caniks - they seem to be $100+ more expensive now, but given time, they'll probably drop again. Mine has been great. 5849 rounds through it so far, I only clean it about every 1000-1500 rounds, if even that often, and the only malfunctions I've experienced have been due to bad ammo. As Mudbug said, Walther customer service is solid as well. I got a free safety plunger after I launched it across the garage never to be found again while doing a detail strip/cleaning of the slide. I called, admitted that it was my fault, expecting to pay for the part and shipping, and there was a free one in my mailbox a few days later. Hard to create a happier customer than that.

User Tag List