Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question before buying

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    It sounds like you need to convince your daughter and son-in-law to let you shoot a Glock for father's day. Shoot it for a while, then make your decision.

Try combing Gunbroker. I just bought a new M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm for $390, shipped.

Before I bought a Canik, I'd get an SD9VE for $260 (currently on sale at Brownells) and an Apex Action Enhancement Kit for $55. This is likely the cheapest option for high quality pistol. (Brownells has cheap shipping on firearms, too)

If you're on a budget, cheap guns might be too expensive in the long run. As others have stated, if you get a lemon and have to pay to ship the gun back to the importer for service, the cost will rise above comparable domestic models. S&W, on the other hand, will fix or replace your gun for you, and cover the shipping. Also, magazines and parts will be available for the next couple of decades. Ruger also has great customer service, but I can't comment on their current crop of centerfire auto pistols.

Good luck!
    I saw the price on the SD9VE for $260. Then add the Apex enhancementfor $55. . Shockingly low. Almost feels like I would be considering a Saturday Night Special. Talk about that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
    I saw the price on the SD9VE for $260. Then add the Apex enhancementfor $55. . Shockingly low. Almost feels like I would be considering a Saturday Night Special. Talk about that for me.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-one-of-these

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....nd-test-thread

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ed-budget-quot
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

For GSSF if you have a multiyear membership, you get your purchase coupon right away to use during your first year of membership. Otherwise, I believe you'll have to wait until you renew after the first year to get the membership coupon.

Yup. Local range just started doing GSSF Indoor League and that was the explanation we got.

A guy here had an assortment of Caniks. They were trouble free and he shot them well. But he got worried about parts and service for his Turkish Delights, so he changed to S&W. After having to get a Plastic M&P fixed on warranty, he went to a Glock. I think his shooting is off, but he doesn't worry about "customer service" any more.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Everything has been very positive...except the part about feedback from the sales and manufacturing sites. Dualist, you hit the target dead center when you talked about that. It makes a lot of sense to look instead to the old reliables that have been around for a while and that people have been pleased with.
    And there's the 800lb gorilla stomping around your wallet. You can't shoot if the only firearm you have has a problem with no way to get parts or timely fix. S&W and Glock are on top of Customer Service.

The TP9SF/SFx looks great and probably is (nothing wrong with being a copy if it's a good copy), especially with that blonde attached to it. That should definitely be included in the box.

Definitely smart to expand your options and especially so when you haven't shot any of them. In keeping with the buy once, cry once mantra, you can call around and perhaps find exact model rentals to shoot. Buying blind may work out fine or it could leave you disappointed. Get some hands on trigger time if at all possible.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    So every gun magazine is being honest when they say Taurus makes good firearms?
    No, I never said that. I merely responded to your assertion that gun reviewers are “usually paid shills” with all the respect such an ignorant comment deserved.

If you’d like to discuss the state of editorial oversight vs. advertiser input vs. writer integrity in the firearms industry as well a discussion on which publications do the best job of balancing staying in business with putting out informative content, I’d be happy to. But then again that’s not nearly as much fun as just junking gun writers because they’re all “paid shills.”

Site Supporter
    "Where or how do I join the GSSF? Sounds like a wonderful option, no matter when I want to buy a gun in the future."

There's a good bit of information on the GSSF website. Here's where you can find the form to join.

http://www.gssfonline.com/registration.cfm
    Last edited by T Smith; 06-13-2018 at 10:40 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    For GSSF if you have a multiyear membership, you get your purchase coupon right away to use during your first year of membership. Otherwise, I believe you'll have to wait until you renew after the first year to get the membership coupon.
    Yep that’s how it worked for me.

I sent them an application with a check for a two year membership. Three or so weeks later a nice thick package arrived with a cool little Glock pistol pouch, my paperwork and membership card / coupon.

I researched a Glock GSSF Dealer (not all Glock dealers honor GSSF coupons apparently) and called to confirm the price.

That weekend I walked in with my trade (a VP9) and my coupon and walked out with a Glock 19.5. The 19 price was $425 if I recall correctly.

Seemed like a no brainer to me.

I’ll need to wait two years, but assuming I renew, I should get another coupon.

Regarding Caniks, I have no idea. I think I’ve heard of them but not often.

I will say being new to guns in 2014, I had no clue so ended up with an M&P FS 9.

Then a HK VP 9.

Then a Walter PPS M2.

(Sense a pattern?)

Then an HK P30SK LEM.

Last summer I learned about the new Glock 19.5. I shot one owned by a friend.

I dumped the two HKs I had and now have a G19.5 I use for USPSA and carry, and a G26.5 I use for carry/dog walking.

I have one holster type, one magazine type, one bullet type, and Glock parts and accessories are sold at my local Seven-11 (kidding).

Plus they seem to run and run and run. They aren’t pretty but they make fairly reliable bullet launchers.

My only concern was the trigger on Holstering; but since the release of the Gen 5 Striker Control Device aka Gadget, I feel better with two Gadgets on my Glocks.

Good luck with your choice.

The SD9VE is a Glock knock-off. I say that positively....Glocks are great, and these are great. The triggers are heavy, ~8 lbs or so. This is fine for a defensive pistol, but if you're going to compete with it, you'll want the Apex trigger kit.

These work like a Glock. I mean the WORK like a Glock. Very reliable, and the manual of arms is the same. The big difference is the finish, and polymer frame feels a little cheaper. I have no doubt that the polymer frame will outlast you, so it's not a functional issue. But if you compared side to side, that's where you'll see the difference.

I like the fact that the SD9VE holds 16 rounds instead of 15 for the G19.5. Not that I care about the extra round, but the grip's just that tad bit longer, and it makes a big difference for me. I find the G19 grip a bit short for my hands, which makes it less comfortable.

I think the SD9VE rear sight is plastic, but the front is metal. The rear sight plastic is much stouter than the Glock sights, which are a joke. The Glock sights are very usable, but will not hold up to serious use.

The SD9VE is a very good pistol. If you get it and shoot it for a couple years, you'll definitely know what you'll want next, if anything. At that point, keep it as a back up or dedicated carry gun, and get a different pistol. Or sell it for $200 and roll that into a new pistol. Either way, you can't lose.

As Rich mentioned, the same is true with Glock. You can't lose if you get one. If you get fancier pistol, there's a reasonable chance that you won't make the right decision, simply because you're too new to defensive/duty pistols.

User Tag List