Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question before buying

A Question before buying

I've recently been turned on to the Canik TP9SF sold at Academy Sports, and introduced to me by one of it's a salesman who I recently taught in a college class.

I've done a good bit of reading and comparison shopping since, and like what I have seen. Price is very good, and reviews by owners and reviewers are impressive. I read someplace that it won Gun of the Year from some organization.

A couple of days ago I was able to shoot a Century Canik TP9SA. It operated well. My only mechanical issue was what I felt was a very long trigger pull, though not a hard one.

So my only complaint involves target shooting at the range. I want the reader here to assume that I am a very good shot.
    That said, I found that all my shots were going about 4" low at 7 yards. But left to right was perfect. Inspecting the sights, I found that I can adjust left-right, but not elevation, which is were my issue is. Neither the front nor the rear sight had an elevation adjustment.

I wonder if the front sight is like my little Walther P22 pistol. On that one, the owner installs one of four sights up front. Each of three had its white dots at different heights above the barrel. The fourth one was just a flat cover to fill the sight mounting hole.

Is this the way elevation is accomplished on the TP9? If so, are all models of the TP9 handled this way, or do some models have rear sights that are adjustable for elevation?

Thanks ahead of time for you replies.

Joe

Site Supporter
    How much is a Canik these days? I was just at a gun store this afternoon and saw a stainless S&W SD9VE for $299. If someone is shopping for a new 9mm on a budget, that’s my recommendation. I’ve run a couple of the .40 versions and been very impressed. Made in USA, lifetime warranty, holsters and magazines and sights available, etc.

With a more common gun than the Canik, such as your Walther or a GLOCK or an S&W or an HK or a SIG or a Colt, you should be able to dial in your elevation by swapping rear sight heights and/or front sight heights until you get it hitting where you want for your preferred sight picture. It would surprise me if you can get replacement sights for the Canik.

Site Supporter
    Personally when I have a gun that shoots low I have found it is normally me. Sometimes anticipating recoil will cause me to shoot low. I have worked through this with dummy rounds and dry fire. Sometimes sight picture will cause me to shoot low. I have found most guns are put center of sight where I want bullet and thus has helped. Sometimes when I get a new gun I like to see how it shoots by looking at the holes in target during fire. If I wait until I finish the string if fire I prevent this.

Gun reviewers are usually paid shills and most gun owners don't shoot enough so their opinions usually aren't worth the time you spent reading them. I can't count the number of times someone has told me their (insert questionable gun here) has been flawless and then they tell me they've shot fewer rounds in the last 3 years than I do in a month. And I don't shoot enough either. I don't recall hearing anything bad about Canik necessarily but I haven't seen an endorsement from anyone I trust. If you need an inexpensive 9mm, get a S&W SD9 or a police trade-in M&P9. If you can afford a new M&P, Glock, H&K or the like, get one.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 06-12-2018 at 05:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

The Caniks are (IMO poorly made, and I believe unlicensed) copies of the Walther P99 and PPQ. There have been some issues with safety reported; I haven't paid enough attention to know whether they've been resolved. With the real, made in Germany Walthers selling for not that much more (I paid $430 including shipping and FFL fee for my P99 9mm), I just don't see why a person would consider buying a Canik over a Walther. Just one man's opinion, of course, and I'm admittedly something of a Walther fanboy, but that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Gun reviewers are usually paid shills...I haven't seen an endorsement from anyone I trust...
    Here are two (you can decide which type):

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Gun reviewers are usually paid shills
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA

Oh lord, if I could wipe just one dumb idea from the collective consciousness of “enlightened” gun owners this would be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHA

Oh lord, if I could wipe just one dumb idea from the collective consciousness of “enlightened” gun owners this would be the one.
    Come on @caleb, we know you make $bank$ doing “reviews”. I’ve seen you driving that lowered Hummer with a hot chick in your lap and three more in back.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Come on @caleb, we know you make $bank$ doing “reviews”. I’ve seen you driving that lowered Hummer with a hot chick in your lap and three more in back.
    Oh that? That’s just what I get for BAH in Miami. It’s weird down here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
    I've recently been turned on to the Canik TP9SF sold at Academy Sports, and introduced to me by one of it's a salesman who I recently taught in a college class.

A couple of days ago I was able to shoot a Century Canik TP9SA. It operated well. My only mechanical issue was what I felt was a very long trigger pull, though not a hard one.

So my only complaint involves target shooting at the range. I want the reader here to assume that I am a very good shot.
    That said, I found that all my shots were going about 4" low at 7 yards. But left to right was perfect. Inspecting the sights, I found that I can adjust left-right, but not elevation, which is were my issue is. Neither the front nor the rear sight had an elevation adjustment.
    A shooting buddy of mine has the SA model from a couple years ago (the one with the de-cocker on top) and he's put a few thousand rounds through it. I've put a couple hundred through it. It seems to be a pretty solid, reliable pistol, and yes, it shoots low. The SA notoriously shoots low with pretty much any standard ammo. Shooting hotter ammo raises the landing pad a little but it's always low. I've never seen the hotter NATO ammo ran through it. My guess is that is the ammo it was specifically designed to run. Would that correct the issue? perhaps, but I'm doubtful.

My guess is that the SF is bit more refined and better sight adjusted, but I really don't know for sure. I've yet to even hold one.

You probably will want to search out the specs for the sights to see if they are replaceable by some other aftermarket sights which are offered in varying heights. It's unlikely that multiple sight options will be available from the manufacturer but that's where you need to check first. I'd get in touch with the importer, or someone up the food chain who has some reliable info regarding not only the sights but also the availability of spare parts. Find out how warranty work is accomplished should the need arise, etc., etc., and so forth.

If this is more of a range toy for you, then have at it. If it will be a serious shooter (competition, self defense training, carry) then make sure you know everything you can prior to committing to the purchase.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

User Tag List