Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit Filed Against Officers Who Responded To Pulse Terror Attack

Site Supporter
    Undoubtedly, there were some coulda-woulda-shoulda actions that might have been taken by OPD, OFD, OCSO, or other responding agencies, but I have yet to hear any serious criticism from a reliable source. I think the issue is that people want to get paid and there are attorneys willing to help them as well as fill their own pockets. I suspect the attorneys and likely most of the plaintiffs are hoping for nice settlements from various government agencies.

I hope that the City of Orlando and other defendants vigorously oppose this suit. We already devote considerable law enforcement efforts to suit-proofing our actions. If every active shooter incident is seen as a pay day, we'll become even further crippled.

Vending Machine Operator
    I'm an attorney, and I'd surrender my bar license before I'd be a part of something so low. Personal morals still count.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I'm an attorney, and I'd surrender my bar license before I'd be a part of something so low. Personal morals still count.
    I worked for an attorney who would have never taken part in a suit like this. He might have wanted to for the $$$, but he would have done the right thing. It's part of the reason I was willing to work for him.

ANYONE can file a lawsuit these days...with very few caveats (excepting medical malpractice suits, those require pre-certification [here in TN]).

Many of these frivolous lawsuits, only get traction with the news outlets. Especially when there is a good amount of case law existing relative to LE’s role in protecting society as a whole, and not the individual. And the narrative that the community has ahold of, is rarely what actually happened.

Not much you can do when you’re served up a shit sandwich, other than roll up your sleeves and dig in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll give the victims/families the benefit of the doubt and assume that they aren't looking for money. They probably want answers that no one can provide. Grief and anger makes people very susceptible to predators. It doesn't take much to get that anger directed at the police, and if they can just scrape together a couple hundred thousand dollars, boy wonder lawyer will get those answers. He already his concession speech planned out when this thing gets tossed out of court, and he'll disappear into the night with pockets full of cash.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    I'll give the victims/families the benefit of the doubt and assume that they aren't looking for money. They probably want answers that no one can provide. Grief and anger makes people very susceptible to predators. It doesn't take much to get that anger directed at the police, and if they can just scrape together a couple hundred thousand dollars, boy wonder lawyer will get those answers. He already his concession speech planned out when this thing gets tossed out of court, and he'll disappear into the night with pockets full of cash.
    He probably took it on contingency. I’m not a lawyer, but my spouse is!

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Redacted.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-14-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Redacted.
    Probably like most folks, “That’s the one about separation of church and snakes, right?”

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Probably like most folks, “That’s the one about separation of church and snakes, right?”

"Which one gets me out of jail free?"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Do Florida or Michigan have Barratry and solicitation statues ? I’m guessing no.
    Even states with barratry statutes have a lot of trouble with charging/convicting it. Ask me how I know. Locally, a DWI attorney failed to exhonerate her client in criminal trial (she got the DWI to go away, but her client pled to all the lesser included offenses) and then turned around and filed a federal suit for false arrest, excessive force, etc. (the federal judge said "pled to reckless driving...I guess the false arrest claim is going bye-bye" and dismissed it on its face.) The atty was made a judge by one of our worst liberal governors and was the only judge to receive a "do not retain" rating by a govermentally run organization that reviews and rates judges for consumer review during retention elections.

About 15 years ago the trend was for canine officers to have an agency checkbook and to write a check to the dipshit that got bit at the hospital after the arrest and for the agency to consider that a settlement after the bite. There was no evidence that this was occuring locally, but local attys were scanning the local radio freqs and arriving at the hospital to "advise the accused (read caught and/or bit felony arrestees)' of their rights, and excercising their rights to discuss anything they want with people in the hospital.

In this state, barratry is a misdemeanor, punishable by a jail sentence of up to 364 days in jail and/or $999 in fines. Even if arrested or charged, and atty/client privelege is waived, it can verh reasknably seen as the "cost of doing business".

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-15-2018 at 02:14 PM.

User Tag List