Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6-48 screw help

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    What is stripping, the threads or the screwdriver slot? Do you have a screwdriver the fits well in the slot? Are you torquing to spec or just trying to get them really tight by feel?

If you have a good screwdriver that fits the slots correctly and are torquing in the proper range and the slot heads are stripping, they may be soft screws. The common zinc fasteners are commonly so soft they deform very easily. Ive ruined many ordinary wood screws well before they could even be torqued, and some small machine screw driver slots deform very easily. Specialty screws seem hardened better with less problems. Theres been news bits for years of imported (china) hardware being marked up in grade from their true hardness, sometimes resulting in disasters, such as when building broadcast or comms towers where grade is important.

Dont know if it helps, but Ace Hardware has gun screws in various sizes. No idea what head shapes and driver types.
    The actual head, I don't think the slot is deep enough, the driver slips out while torquing. I'm using 15 in/lb which is what I typically use for pistol optics that are direct mounted onto slide.

I'm sure the screws are shotty, but it's all I've been able to find in 6-48 with the length I need. I bought them from Brownells. They have the exact screws I want in 8-40, but apparently don't make them in 6-48.

Interesting, I havent had the slot strip out before, usually the threads strip or the tip breaks if going too far past what the screw or thread can take. That assumes decent quality screws. It may be that the screws you got from Brownells were too soft. What screwdriver are you using, is it made for gun screws?

I'm usually a torx fan for construction things, but whatever Leupold sends for a tool for their ring and base screws doesnt fit will, they are too loose in the drive hole. I prefer a slotted head screw to their tool with torx heads. A better tool may change that impression.

Like Malamute says, a specific driver bit or DIY custom ground driver bit used with the Brownells screws is probably the easiest route.

I'm still looking and finding mostly 1/2". I will ask a few of the local bolt places and a CT bolt supplier I frequent.

A thought from left field - any interest in changing tread size or having it changed by a gunsmith? I don't have *any* RDS pistols so I'm just throwing this out there. These Glock MOS DPP screws are a little larger at 4mm x 0.7mm pitch. Length is ~.62" which make it appear the right length for your application.

From this chart there's a 6-48 NS drill size of .1200" vs M4x.7 drill size of .1338". Enough meat to changeover? I dunno but M4x.7 is a commonly available size. #8 is approx 4mm and would offer the next step up in size.

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

User Tag List