Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow down time.

Slow down time.

So I put the timer away and ran a couple of dot torture today. Target 1 was 3 yards threw the 50th round. Target 2 was at 6 yards. When shooting WHO my dot shakes like and earthquake tremor. Anyway to mitigate this?

I have found that when weak hand only shooting, clinching my strong hand makes my weak hand steadier.

Name:  C088D2CD-0628-4BAB-9DE9-FB59F3120F7E.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  35.2 KB

Only thing that works for me is no pinkie finger, good breathing, and most of my focus in the trigger press.

And I still push to the right.

No pinkie brought my shaking down to a minimum WHO.

Given that a WHO classifier string cost me a match win yesterday, I'm not sure I get to comment here :-). Here's what I've done to improve my WHO shooting:

1. Lots of dryfire to make pulling the trigger with your support hand feel normal.
    2. I do not find that "slowing down" helps. Work toward pulling the trigger straight back without disturbing the sights.
    3. The wobble zone will be greater for WHO. Get used to it; don't try to fight it.
    4. In live fire, the gun will jump and twist, and you've got to figure out how to deal with that.
    5. One of the biggest issues in WHO accuracy can be the effect of free recoil on POI. Experiment on how your body and arm position affects the point of impact. Rotating your elbow inward can help the sights track vertically, and avoid POI issues.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-10-2018 at 07:47 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Name:  C088D2CD-0628-4BAB-9DE9-FB59F3120F7E.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  35.2 KB

Only thing that works for me is no pinkie finger, good breathing, and most of my focus in the trigger press.

And I still push to the right.

No pinkie brought my shaking down to a minimum WHO.
    I don't doubt that is helpful for bullseye type work, but I would rather use my normal shooting form and just deal with it, looking for improvements. The pinky is pretty important for recoil control when shooting one handed.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    Anyway to mitigate
    When shooting one handed, I torque / flag my thumb into the side of the gun. Similar to giving a thumbs up. Pressure is into the frame and not the slide.

Name:  tmp_13247-20180611_2156006277213248840713223.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  31.9 KB
    Taking a break from social media.

You can do two things with your grip. Keep it on target and control recoil. Controlling recoil is more important if you intend to make a quick follow-up shot. Dot torture for example their is zero priority about a fast follow-up shot.

For some the shake comes from trying to grip too hard.... so don't. Grip just hard enough to maintain your steady aim and pull the trigger without pulling it away from where you were aiming.

As you care more about follow-up shots, add grip as needed...
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 06-12-2018 at 12:08 AM.
    A71593

Great info from @Clusterfrack. Add me to the don’t get wrapped up in slower or faster list. Just think of your sights as the gun’s gas peddle. I personally find that canting the gun slightly inside helps with my accuracy and recoil.
    Last edited by LSP552; 06-12-2018 at 04:58 AM.

If you can teach yourself to pull the trigger straight back WHO when you get a flash of sight picture you can go a lot faster and hold your accuracy together. I find that I can go pretty quick even when the gun is jumping around If and Only If I’m not excessively disturbing the sights on the WHO trigger press.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 06-12-2018 at 06:34 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Turning your head to the left (assuming you are right handed) when shooting WHO can improve your sight picture. (You want to avoid looking out of the side of your eye).

I experimented with canting the gun, and recoil control is very good. But, I found that the tradeoffs in sight picture, tracking, and transitions were generally not worth it for me. If I have to do a big lean around a barricade WHO, I might cant the gun. Otherwise, I use Seeklander's "elbow in" stance. It's kind of like a punch.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List