Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: P229r

P229r

In your experience, are the current production p229r models in 9mm good to go? Or is it still a gamble?

I'm looking for something hammer fired that can go from case to holster (after some testing) for duty without any issues. Department policy allows Sig and HK for hammer fired, armory encourages Sig for "ease of repair." I see far more Sig in holsters than HK.

I know Sig had some issues in previous years, I'm wondering if the issues persist.

Being someone who carries a 2013 mfg 229R everyday at work, I would buy an HK if I were you.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Being someone who carries a 2013 mfg 229R everyday at work, I would buy an HK if I were you.
    More info please?

OP, for a data point I have a 12-13 example that has been 100% reliable for me. Albeit a range/ home defense only gun. As soon as my wing-claw 2.5 comes in I plan on carrying it. I also had an 02 example that was very obviously better fit and finished. 100% reliable as well; just a better job. Details of the 2k challenge can be found in the sticky section thread. But I’m not arguing about the HK; I like them too. Would depend on other details as to which way I went.
    Last edited by TOTS; 06-10-2018 at 05:51 PM.

SIGUSA is a bad actor undeserving of your money. Setting that aside if reliability is your cheif concern HK is untouchable.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Could you buy an older one? Early 2000s P229s with the short extractor seem to be well regarded.

I have a 2006 P239 that has been a rockstar (I was told it was a police officer's off-duty gun) in terms of reliability. I have a surplus 1988 P226 that has been 100%. I also picked up a P245 a few months ago that's been 100% in the 300 - 400 rounds I've put through it.

I tend to avoid the new guns. Ever since I found out they were using MIM for the locking inserts and outsourcing small parts to overseas producers... they just seem more like "consumer oriented" guns to me--riding on a name that used to mean something special (subjective, of course). I have heard, however, that LEO guns get better parts and possibly better QC? Not sure. But I can't say that didn't affect my decision to buy my current P239 (that it was an LEO gun). And it's been one of the best Sigs I've owned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    SIGUSA is a bad actor undeserving of your money. Setting that aside if reliability is your cheif concern HK is untouchable.
    SIG has addressed the issues that plagued the long extractor when it first came out. That aside, JAD speaks the truth ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    More info please?

OP, for a data point I have a 12-13 example that has been 100% reliable for me. Albeit a range/ home defense only gun. As soon as my wing-claw 2.5 comes in I plan on carrying it. I also had an 02 example that was very obviously better fit and finished. 100% reliable as well; just a better job. Details of the 2k challenge can be found in the sticky section thread. But I’m not arguing about the HK; I like them too. Would depend on other details as to which way I went.
    The Sig-Sauer that earned a reputation for reliable pistols and awesome customer service died when Cohen took over. The Sig of today doesn’t give 2 shits about it’s customers. If it did we wouldn’t have witnessed the 320 debacle and the other lesser known Sig debacles. Such as Sig sending P22x out into the LE market with parts that are out of spec and make the gun no-workie. AND THEY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM. Sig will get none of my hard earned money and if I could carry something else on duty I’d be all over it like a fat kid at an ice cream stand. Unfortunately, I have the option of carrying a 229 or a 226. Both mfg in 2013. Considering 20% of our 226s have shit the bed, I chose the 229. So far it hasn’t failed me. But I still don’t trust it.

So I NEVER, and I mean NEVER, recommend Sig products to anyone. Which makes me sad. I bought a 226 when I was 15 and learned to shoot with that gun. Then I carried a 228 and a 226 (both pre Cohen guns) for most of my career. Never had a problem with any of those 3 guns. And I shot the crap out of them.

So fuck Sig. I’ve had a P30 and really liked it. If I had to choose between a P30 and a 229, the P30 wins hands down every day.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I've had four US made SIGs in the last few years. While I admit that I favor the German made SIGs, I have to say my American made SIGs have been reliable, trouble free guns. The only recent HK I've owned was a USP Expert model. Not a duty type pistol, but it did display the same reliability the USP line is noted for.

I'm not the biggest fan of the current American made SIGs,with all their designer colors, silly names,etc. At least HK has avoided that silliness. But still, I can't gripe that any of my American SIGs have been a problem. I don't think you can go wrong with either the SIG or HK pistols....

I used to carry a 226 concealed. Before that I carried a 229. For open carry in a duty rig there isn’t much difference between the two. In my experience the 226 is much easier to shoot well, reload well, and is much more reliable. I would carry a 226 over a 229 any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    The Sig-Sauer that earned a reputation for reliable pistols and awesome customer service died when Cohen took over. The Sig of today doesn’t give 2 shits about it’s customers. If it did we wouldn’t have witnessed the 320 debacle and the other lesser known Sig debacles. Such as Sig sending P22x out into the LE market with parts that are out of spec and make the gun no-workie. AND THEY KNEW ABOUT THE PROBLEM. Sig will get none of my hard earned money and if I could carry something else on duty I’d be all over it like a fat kid at an ice cream stand. Unfortunately, I have the option of carrying a 229 or a 226. Both mfg in 2013. Considering 20% of our 226s have shit the bed, I chose the 229. So far it hasn’t failed me. But I still don’t trust it.

So I NEVER, and I mean NEVER, recommend Sig products to anyone. Which makes me sad. I bought a 226 when I was 15 and learned to shoot with that gun. Then I carried a 228 and a 226 (both pre Cohen guns) for most of my career. Never had a problem with any of those 3 guns. And I shot the crap out of them.

So fuck Sig. I’ve had a P30 and really liked it. If I had to choose between a P30 and a 229, the P30 wins hands down every day.
    I own a P2000 LEM and find the trigger hard to run. Do you see DA/SA as a handicap in a duty weapon?

User Tag List