Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Light weight TDA choices- PX4CC vs P07

Tried out the new P07 today, and like it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I’ve been mulling over the idea of going back to a TDA pistol for over a year now. The choice was essentially between exactly these two options. I think either choice will serve just about anyone well.

Given frame to hand fit, trigger feel, controls placement, sight options, as well as similar pistols of full size, I made my decision today.

This option simply works better for ME.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Not much to add here but I handled and dry fired the P07 and the PX4CC yesterday. It was the first time I have had either one in my hands and I preferred the PX4 in every way.

I ran about 500 rounds through my new-to-me PX4 Compact in John Murphy's class yesterday. It has factory Trijicon night sights, Fugly/Stealth "G" conversion, Talon grips, and a 12 lb spring.

I'll tell you what: This silly little gun just works for me. It conceals well for me in a JMCK AIWB 2.5, and I prefer DA/SA to the LEM I've been running for the last year.

The TJIAB may come eventually, but I really don't find it necessary.

Damn you Bolke and Langdon!!!!
    David S.

I'm pasting a PM conversation (with permission).

Quote Originally Posted by _
    I read all of your posts with great interest and enjoy the nuggets of wisdom you put out there. I want to shoot some USPSA later this year and would like my carry gear mimic my competition pistol as close as possible. Thank you for the response on that question earlier.
    What has always worried me about the P-07 is the very low price. Is there a reason they are priced so low? I watched a video on the assembly/disassembly last night and it seems to be built really well. Not sure what I’m missing as to why it’s a $450 gun and others are $100 more??? Is it because to make the P-07 hum you need the CGW parts?

Currently I carry a PX4CC, but there isn’t a great competition gun that mimics it. So I’ve thought about a CenTac, but I can get 3 x P-07 base models for the same price.
    Is there any reason why you switched?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack
    Great question.

Someone with a background in economics could probably answer this way more intelligently than I can, but here goes. Gun prices (and markup) are driven by market forces. For example, it supposedly costs $70 to $80 to manufacture a Glock, and consumer prices are $500 - $600. An HK P30 costs $700+. We don't know how much it costs to manufacture a P30, but I doubt it's much more than $150. I think the high markup is driven by the reputation these companies have for investing in R&D and producing high quality firearms. Some manufacturers are able to fetch high prices based primarily on appearance rather than reliability (e.g. Kimber). And, some guns are made in countries with a higher cost of labor.

A few weeks ago, I got to handle my first Wilson 92 Brig Tac at a local USPSA match. A new shooter had one, and wanted to compare it to my CZ Shadow 2. After a brief comparison, both of us concluded that the Shadow 2 was functionally superior in every way. It really wasn't even close. The new guy seemed a little bummed.

So, I have to conclude that MSRP and street prices have little to do with the quality of the gun. As well, each of us will have our own definition of quality.

For a carry gun, I want a gun that has a strong track record of reliability, and preferably adoption by military and law enforcement. The CZ-75 platform has had the most military use of any handgun. The P-07 is in wide use by military and law enforcement. As well, the Beretta PX4 is used by military and law enforcement. Both have been well-vetted in multiple high-round count tests. Parts are readily available, and they are relatively easy to work on. I don't have any Berettas, so I can't comment on the engineering, but I'm impressed with the P-07. I haven't found any red flags in the design.

By contrast, (for example) M&Ps and XDs are in my opinion obviously poorly engineered in critical ways. I would not choose either as a carry gun.

So, my answer to your question is: the $100 difference doesn't mean anything other than a $100 savings for you. You don't need CGW parts either. I could be perfectly happy with a bone stock P-07. (Just don't dryfire it without the protective earplug over the firing pin).
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-25-2018 at 05:34 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

An interesting thing about the P07/09, is how cavernous it is inside, and how that tolerates so much more dirt and gunk than a metal CZ like a Shadow. Reminds me of an AK with the dust cover off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    An interesting thing about the P07/09, is how cavernous it is inside, and how that tolerates so much more dirt and gunk than a metal CZ like a Shadow. Reminds me of an AK with the dust cover off.
    I know a lot pf people poo poo the so called torture tests. But the p07 always seems to do very very well and the p01 does not do as well. So I agree with your assessment. I always appreciated how simple in design my p07 was and seemed very Glock like in a da/sa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I know a lot pf people poo poo the so called torture tests. But the p07 always seems to do very very well and the p01 does not do as well. So I agree with your assessment. I always appreciated how simple in design my p07 was and seemed very Glock like in a da/sa.
    Next month I'm attending a Systema (Russian martial art) camp that includes fighting in a river. I'm hoping I'll be allowed to carry my (unloaded) P-07 and verify function after the wet and muddy exercise.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-25-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    I am starting to feel like an idiot for dumping the P-07.....multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Next month I'm attending a Systema (Russian martial art) camp that includes fighting in a river. I'm hoping I'll be allowed to carry my (unloaded) P-07 and verify function after the wet and muddy exercise.
    Is Systema one of those weird male bonding things, where there are a lot of white guys in underwear getting in touch with something? Seems right down YVK’s alley. @YVK
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List