Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP 2010 RAV4. Soliciting advice for replacement

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    No, she loves it. I’ve been looking around. There are quite a few pre-2013 and post-2013 RAV4s around at not terrible prices - easy to keep under $20k, quite possible to keep under $15k. 2013 is an easy year to mark for my neophyte eyes: 2012 and earlier had the spare tire on the back, side-swing door. 2013 and newer have a lift gate and tire under the cargo floor. Limited has a power lift gate. Wife would appreciate that. Don’t remember if other trim levels have or offer that.
    I had the Sport edition, which I liked - slightly tighter suspension so it handled much more like a sedan in many ways. I'll definitely look at other RAVs, ultimately it will come down to what I get from my insurance and what things are priced at around here. I would like to finance <50% of the vehicle if possible, but we'll see. I would be open to another RAV if it ends up being the more fiscally responsible choice vs. the 4Runner.

One friend has Rogue. Another has a Pilot. Three with CRVs. Two have Outbacks. All are pleased.
    One couple was looking at Subaru but inexplicably bought the Volvo crossover, the which I cannot understand.
    One friend called the first gen CRV "the greatest baby hauler known to man," but got something bigger after a wreck injured her and scared the children.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Just ran your car and what data you mentioned through the KBB online app. Your car, in my area, would have had a private party sale value of about $12k. Trade in is a bit less.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I had the Sport edition, which I liked - slightly tighter suspension so it handled much more like a sedan in many ways. I'll definitely look at other RAVs, ultimately it will come down to what I get from my insurance and what things are priced at around here. I would like to finance <50% of the vehicle if possible, but we'll see. I would be open to another RAV if it ends up being the more fiscally responsible choice vs. the 4Runner.
    If you like sedan-handling, you might not be as happy with a 4Runner. Very truck handling. And truck mileage, too. We’re looking to change from a 4WD Durango my wife has trouble seeing out of and doesn’t really like to drive for something with better visibility for her and handling she will like better. While we will both miss the power and cargo capacity, we will not miss the thirsty V8’s gas pump diet.

Just ran your car and what data you mentioned through the KBB online app. Your car, in my area, would have had a private party sale value of about $12k. Trade in is a bit less.
    That's not a bad start.

If you like sedan-handling, you might not be as happy with a 4Runner. Very truck handling. And truck mileage, too. We’re looking to change from a 4WD Durango my wife has trouble seeing out of and doesn’t really like to drive for something with better visibility for her and handling she will like better. While we will both miss the power and cargo capacity, we will not miss the thirsty V8’s gas pump diet.
    I might be able to live with the truck handling, but the mileage will be something of a bummer. Definitely don't want an 8cyl; V6 would be OK. I'll widen my search to crossovers like the RAV4, CRV etc. I do like the idea of something bigger though, after this incident. I could get used to driving a heavier vehicle if only for the (potentially imagined) peace of mind.

My 4.0L Taco gets around 20/21 mpg, rural/highway driving.

I know a guy that has a ‘17 with the 3.6L, and gets 24ish under similar driving conditions.

My old 4Runner was awesome, and I wish I could replace it. Financial reasons aside, I would in a heartbeat.

Just a thought - unless you’re putting steel bumpers on the 4Runner, I don’t know that it’ll fair substantially better than anything else when impacted.

Personally, I think the newer Subaru Foresters are hard to beat. Plenty of clearance, and a proven drive train. If you don’t need all the bells and whistles, they’re pretty affordable too.
    Last edited by Dan_S; 06-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.

RIP 2010 RAV4. Soliciting advice for replacement

Subaru Crosstrek is a good option.

And— you came out of that ok. Looks like it could have been so much worse.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 06-10-2018 at 11:20 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    My 4.0L Taco gets around 20/21 mpg, rural/highway driving.

I know a guy that has a ‘17 with the 3.6L, and gets 24ish under similar driving conditions.

My old 4Runner was awesome, and I wish I could replace it. Financial reasons aside, I would in a heartbeat.

Just a thought - unless you’re putting steel bumpers on the 4Runner, I don’t know that it’ll fair substantially better than anything else when impacted.

Personally, I think the newer Subaru Foresters are hard to beat. Plenty of clearance, and a proven drive train. If you don’t need all the bells and whistles, they’re pretty affordable too.
    My girlfriend has the 3.6L Taco, so I probably won't go with that if only because it seems silly to have two pickups. I'll look into the Subarus, though from what I recall I always felt that they were ~$5k extra vs. comparable Honda/Toyota offerings without offering a ton more. I guess we'll see what the local CPO market looks like once all of the checks clear.

Also won't lie... I may be turning this accident simply into the excuse I've been looking for to upgrade to a 4Runner we'll see how things look financially - a crossover would probably be a financially more sensible option.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Subaru Crosstrek is a good option.

And— you came out of that ok. Looks like it could have been so much worse.
    You're very right. Driver of the white van went to the hospital with what looked like an ankle fracture from the couple minutes I spent assessing him before EMS arrived. the F150 that caused the accident was doing easily 50mph; my car was rolling to a stop. Feeling very sore today, but also very lucky.

I wasn’t suggesting a Taco, but rather, that the 4.0 and 3.6 litre V6 offerings from Toyota get substantially better fuel mileage than some of the previous iterations.

User Tag List