Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP 2010 RAV4. Soliciting advice for replacement

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar

RIP 2010 RAV4. Soliciting advice for replacement

So, last night, I got rear ended for the third time in 6 months, this time at a much higher rate of speed. Ended up as car #3/4 in the pileup. Myself and my girlfriend are OK - just shook up and generally whiplash-y. My RAV4 (gray vehicle), however, is probably toast.

Filed my claim and from what I can tell it looks likely to end up as a total loss. Not sure of the KBB value of the vehicle, but basically am planning to use it as a down payment on a CPO/lightly used vehicle to replace it.

This is where I'd like some advice. After this wreck, and my luck in CO in general, I am looking to upgrade to something slightly bigger. Essentially want a truck w/o the pickup bed. The 4Runner is so far my top choice, but the Nissan XTerra would definitely be a consideration if I come across one in good condition on the used market.

Any other vehicles to look at? Don't want to break the bank on this one, probably want to keep it at/under $30k for a used model, but open to any/all input at present time.

Glad you're okay. That's a bad run of luck.

I'm prejudiced, but as the happy owner of a 2016 4Runner, (Trail Edition Premium), I highly recommend it.

(And so does virtually every independent review of the most reliable and long lasting vehicles. There are other excellent vehicles on those lists worth looking into as well, but I have no or limited experience with them personally.)
    Last edited by blues; 06-10-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Toyota 4Runner
    Honda Pilot

But remember bigger doesn't always equal better - You really want to investigate the crash ratings of anything you buy. The advantage of the CRV/HRV/Rav4/CX5 line of vehicles is - they crash test at car levels of safety - Trucks crash test differently. FYI - I noticed the other day that the Honda offers the HRV with a manual transmission.

Go cool and old school - Buy an FJ40.

PS: Also glad you're okay. I mean sorta...you're cool...for a Glock guy.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-10-2018 at 08:48 AM.

IMO, 4Runner would be a good choice - especially if you do any off-roading beyond dirt roads. If I was in the position to get a new vehicle for myself, I'd be giving the 4Runner a serious look.

You may also want to take a look at the Subaru Outback while you're at it - long-lasting, excellent quality, top scores for crash rating and their AWD systems are very capable.

Site Supporter
    Been looking at getting my wife a RAV4 or CRV. Maybe a Forester or Outback.

Your RAV4 looks like it did good in the accident: neither of you got hurt.

I’d either get another one, or get the 4Runner.

Site Supporter
    CPO 4runner. Try to find an SR5 premium package.

I had a 2016 SR5 premium that was awesome. I traded up to a Limited because 3rd row and full leather seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Been looking at getting my wife a RAV4 or CRV. Maybe a Forester or Outback.

Your RAV4 looks like it did good in the accident: neither of you got hurt.

I’d either get another one, or get the 4Runner.
    Yeah, I was quite happy with my RAV4. Especially pissed because I took great care of it and was looking forward to driving it into the ground (68k miles, just finished paying off the loan). I've heard the newer 4th generation RAVs (2011-present) aren't as good as the 3rd generation cars and I don't want to buy something with 100k+ miles on it at this point, so i'm probably going to be looking at a newer car.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Yeah, I was quite happy with my RAV4. Especially pissed because I took great care of it and was looking forward to driving it into the ground (68k miles, just finished paying off the loan). I've heard the newer 4th generation RAVs (2011-present) aren't as good as the 3rd generation cars and I don't want to buy something with 100k+ miles on it at this point, so i'm probably going to be looking at a newer car.
    Coworker has a 2013 Limited she bought last year. We drove it all over creation to client sites Friday, and she let me drive part of it. I quite liked it. Hers has about 70k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Coworker has a 2013 Limited she bought last year. We drove it all over creation to client sites Friday, and she let me drive part of it. I quite liked it. Hers has about 70k on it.
    Is it for sale by any chance

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Is it for sale by any chance
    No, she loves it. I’ve been looking around. There are quite a few pre-2013 and post-2013 RAV4s around at not terrible prices - easy to keep under $20k, quite possible to keep under $15k. 2013 is an easy year to mark for my neophyte eyes: 2012 and earlier had the spare tire on the back, side-swing door. 2013 and newer have a lift gate and tire under the cargo floor. Limited has a power lift gate. Wife would appreciate that. Don’t remember if other trim levels have or offer that.
    Last edited by Duelist; 06-10-2018 at 09:51 AM.

User Tag List