Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP 2010 RAV4. Soliciting advice for replacement

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Does it come with a .32 PPK?
    Nah, Bond never drove a Mini.

But Jason Bourne did, so it comes with a 9mm Sig.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-10-2018 at 05:43 PM.

I don’t know if you’re cursed, Neph, it could be that you’re surrounded by idiots.

I looked very hard at the Forester when I got my outback. The 2.0XT is very quick, which addresses the Outback ‘s glaring flaw. The visibility in a Foz is just outstanding — reminds me of a BMW2002 on stilts. I really like them.

I will eventually have to go back to German cars, but for now I am a legit Birkenstock -wearing Ruby fan.

For me with safety it’s less about mass and more about height. When a Ford ranger with no brake lights lit ‘em up in front of my Saab 9-3 wagon I slid /under/ his car. It worked out all right but I do not recommend the approach.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Wife just picked out a 2014 Honda CR-V between those and RAV4. I told her I was good with either but preferred the Honda since it gets slightly better mileage. 44k miles and under $15k. It's not loaded out but has most of the niceties that she would actually use. So far so good and I'm really impressed with Honda as to their electronics. They are well thought out vehicles from what I can tell in 3 months of ownership.

If I could do ot over again id get s subie xt. I just have an outback for the wife. Got myself a gti because city driving.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I don’t know if you’re cursed, Neph, it could be that you’re surrounded by idiots.

I looked very hard at the Forester when I got my outback. The 2.0XT is very quick, which addresses the Outback ‘s glaring flaw. The visibility in a Foz is just outstanding — reminds me of a BMW2002 on stilts. I really like them.

I will eventually have to go back to German cars, but for now I am a legit Birkenstock -wearing Ruby fan.

For me with safety it’s less about mass and more about height. When a Ford ranger with no brake lights lit ‘em up in front of my Saab 9-3 wagon I slid /under/ his car. It worked out all right but I do not recommend the approach.
    Thanks for the input. The forester is looking like a strong contender. We'll see whats available when the money comes through - locally it seems like most of the XT models are pretty close to brand new and pushing my $30k budget. Still, I did buy the RAV4 with the intention of driving it into the ground...

Do Subarus use a timing chain or a belt? How are they for maintenance?

Pretty sure they use a belt. No real issues with maintaining mine other than like all the wheel bearings taking a shit at the same time. Might have been due to an earlier accident though. They also need full synthetic oil.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Wife has a highlander an loves and will be getting another one of them. I like the 4 runner better
    Can’t go wrong with a Toyota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RAV 4 is undergoing a major redesign for 2019. The prices on the previous generation RAVs will take a hit after the new design comes out. Might save you a few thousand to wait a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Do Subarus use a timing chain or a belt? How are they for maintenance?
    The 2.5 liter engines (both SOHC and DOHC) use a belt, but I think the newer 2.0 uses a chain. The 3.6 liter six (available in the Outback as the 3.6R model) uses a chain.

The turbocharged 2.5 DOHC engine is an entirely different engine than the naturally-aspirated 2.5 SOHC. Older versions of the latter were notorious for head gasket problems.

Maintenance is what I would call normal compared to other makes, nothing really stands out as a red flag.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
    The RAV 4 is undergoing a major redesign for 2019. The prices on the previous generation RAVs will take a hit after the new design comes out. Might save you a few thousand to wait a few months.

Unfortunately not sure I can swing that. Don't have rental coverage and am borrowing my GF's truck in the interim. There seem to be lots of other competitive models on the market to look at... I won't jump on an overpriced car, but I can probably find a good deal on a Forester/Crosstrek/4Runner without looking too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The 2.5 liter engines (both SOHC and DOHC) use a belt, but I think the newer 2.0 uses a chain. The 3.6 liter six (available in the Outback as the 3.6R model) uses a chain.

The turbocharged 2.5 DOHC engine is an entirely different engine than the naturally-aspirated 2.5 SOHC. Older versions of the latter were notorious for head gasket problems.

Maintenance is what I would call normal compared to other makes, nothing really stands out as a red flag.

Good to know. The 2.0XT sounds like it might be up my alley, assuming that uses a chain too. I'll see what's on the market.

Hopefully I'll wrap this saga up soon... I rely on my car to commute to/from work. Want to make the right call and willing to be patient, but don't want to dally either.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 06-10-2018 at 08:34 PM.

User Tag List