Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Issue Shooting Left

If you're shooting left at speed, but center during slow fire, it's your grip.

Your support hand should have full contact with the frame. Frame drag is a thing, and if you don't have a good grip, you will knuckle the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by TopShot View Post
    I also shoot a little left when shooting my Glock Gen4.
    CHECK THIS OUT !
    I bought a new Glock Gen5 and when I ran the first 150 rounds through it I shot it to the right.
    I found that odd and thought it might be caused by the absence of the finger grooves.
    When I got home I examined it very closely and not only did I find the front sight was ever so slightly twisted to the right I found the rear sight also drifted to the right. I called Glock and they told me to get a pair of pliers and twist the front sight straight and that they are shipping out the new guns with the rear sight to the right to compensate for most people that are shooting it to the left. I can't believe he said that, Crazy !
    Gun going back to Glock tomorrow.
    I don't understand what you are sending it back to Glock for. What type of sights are on the gun?

Ameriglo Pro Night Sights.
    I have a friend with a Glock sight pusher and I have a front sight tool.
    If I break the front screw I have to order a new one.
    Why should I play with it ?
    Let them fix it and test fire it.
    Gun is 10 days old with 150 rounds through it.
    If they break something they'll fix it free.

Ameriglo Pro Night Sights.
    I have a friend with a Glock sight pusher and I have a front sight tool.
    If I break the front screw I have to order a new one.
    Why should I play with it ?
    Let them fix it and test fire it.
    Gun is 10 days old with 150 rounds through it.
    If they break something they'll fix it free.
    Because they’re just iron sights on a gun. Pretty much no one zeros pistol sights from the factory because they have no idea what ammo you’re going to be shooting. You’d also have to REALLY wrench on that front sight HARD the WRONG way to snap that screw in half. It’s not that difficult and you won’t have to wait for shipping or Glock to actually make the adjustments.

If you’re that leery about it just about any local gun shop should be able to tweak those pretty quick for you.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

You adjust the sights for you and your ammo. Thats how this all works.

PS you should keep a spare front sight screw in your range bag anyway.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 06-14-2018 at 11:19 AM.

"PS you should keep a spare front sight screw in your range bag anyway." - Good Idea!

I was Told by Dan at Glock technical support that they would
    test fire my gun on a bench rest at 25 yard with 124 grain ammo.
    That would get it zerod better than I could do.
    Last edited by TopShot; 06-14-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Captians1911 -- I also am shooting one of my pistols to the left
    I have learned that having a flat faced and long pull on a DAO I start pulling flat on the whole trigger but by the time I get to the end of it's travel I'm pulling on the left side of the trigger and pulling the muzzle just a hair but is just enough
    I just ordered a new trigger that moves my finger forward more . I hope for my fix , the distance between the trigger and the back strap
    Bottom line-- large hands and mid size gun

Most Glocks I've shot, POI was left of POA. I thought it was me, so I bench rested...same thing. Did a Google search and some really experienced folks reported having to tap the rear sight over.

More than likely it's not you.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

I was Told by Dan at Glock technical support that they would
    test fire my gun on a bench rest at 25 yard with 124 grain ammo.
    That would get it zerod better than I could do.
    Are you going to send in your hand and eye, too?

I am having to learn the Glock because a local range has started offering GSSF. My Glockbud provided fibre optic sights so I can see what I am doing. The rear is centered on the slide, the guns still shoots left. I made the measurements, did the trigonometry, and came up with a .017" sight change. I will double check when I have settled on a load and then drift to suit MY hold.

The gun is a G17-4 with interchangeable backstraps. The large does not feel just right in my hand, but it gives me a better trigger finger placement and less left to adjust for.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Are you going to send in your hand and eye, too?

I am having to learn the Glock because a local range has started offering GSSF. My Glockbud provided fibre optic sights so I can see what I am doing. The rear is centered on the slide, the guns still shoots left. I made the measurements, did the trigonometry, and came up with a .017" sight change. I will double check when I have settled on a load and then drift to suit MY hold.

The gun is a G17-4 with interchangeable backstraps. The large does not feel just right in my hand, but it gives me a better trigger finger placement and less left to adjust for.
    Did you install the sights? Even if you didn’t install the sights, before you start sliding the rear sight around:

1) Make sure the front sight is straight. There is often some play in the front sight and if not addressed during installation it will “clock” slightly to the left when the front sight screw is tightened resulting in the gun legitimately shooting left. This is why most modern designs have dovetail front sights.

2) Shoot the gun left handed - if your groups suddenly shift from left /9 o’clock to right / 3 o’oclock it’s is you / Glock trigger not the gun.

If #2 it is usually the rounded face of the trigger (as viewed from the top) plus the tab safety causing the trigger finger to “tetter-totter” and only engage one side of the trigger. This in turn causes the trigger to be pulled back on a 10 or 11 o’clock to 4 or 5 o’clock axis for a right handed shooters and push shots left instead of pulling straight back from 12 to 6.

This is why flat faced triggers are a popular modification, however the stock Glock trigger can be shot straight by applying more or less trigger finger, depending on the individual. You are seeking trigger finger engagement with both sides of the trigger.

Another shooter induced cause of Glocks “shooting left” for right handlers (and vice versa) is biceping or knuckling where the base / knuckle part of the trigger finger pushes against the frame and literally pushes the shots left as you pull the trigger as Dave M mentioned.
    Last edited by HCM; 07-14-2018 at 11:00 AM.

User Tag List