Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Issue Shooting Left

Issue Shooting Left

I’m right-handed, shooting Glocks usually, and have been having an issue where almost all my hits are consistently dead left when shooting at speed. I’m a fairly experienced shooter (expert class IDPA), with solid fundamentals, but I’m almost positive this is a trigger control issue, I just can’t seem to correct it. I do lots of dry fire practice, with real guns and SIRT pistol, and as far as I can tell the muzzle isn’t moving left when I break the trigger. I’ve played with putting more trigger finger into the trigger guard, and adjusting strong/weak hand grip pressure, with zero results.

Just to give an idea of the severity, today I was shooting an IDPA target at about 7 yards, and almost all my hits were were located in the left half side of the -0, elevation was fine. Very consistent, just left.

Any ideas on how I might correct this would be appreciated. 
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor & RSO, IDPA Expert, Project Appleseed Rifleman
    Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL

Is your pistol zeroed?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

You say when shooting at speed, so can we assume this left bias isn't occurring at slower firing rates?

How fast is fast, before you start seeing it show up? 1 shot per second? per half second? only at "hammer" speeds?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Is your pistol zeroed?
    Yes it’s zeroed. I can shoot dead center if I take my time.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    You say when shooting at speed, so can we assume this left bias isn't occurring at slower firing rates?

How fast is fast, before you start seeing it show up? 1 shot per second? per half second? only at "hammer" speeds?
    Any faster than about 1 shot per seconds. Today I was shooting about 0.4-0.5 sec splits. Slowing down a bit didn’t seem to help much.

Site Supporter
    Search is your friend.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-if-so-why

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ect-Grip/page2

SURF, a member here has a video which is very helpful as well.

Last edited by HCM; 06-09-2018 at 09:15 PM.

Since you're accurate at slow fire, I wonder if when shooting at defensive / competition speed are you getting a flash sight picture with front sight simply "in" the rear sight but not really centered - "equal light" on each side of the front sight?

Issue Shooting Left

I’ve found this simple diagnostic drill really helpful in figuring out what I was doing on follow up shots:

https://youtu.be/NxyTFzgWjhk

In Dry Practice, I find wearing a pair of full lens reading glasses really let’s me see what the front sight is doing in the trigger press:

Pyramex Safety Emerge Safety Glasses with Reader Lenses Option https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5NXH6M..._h.qhBbQ6ZKEM3

A small AAA headlamp can really help as well:

Petzl - TIKKA+ 110 Lumens, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H7KAHCC..._zbrhBbDX4JRC0
    Last edited by RJ; 06-10-2018 at 06:50 AM.

[QUOTE=Rich_Jenkins;749759]
    In Dry Practice, I find wearing a pair of full lens reading glasses really let’s me see what the front sight is doing in the trigger press:

I also found using my computer glasses (both lenses set to focus at front sight distance which is the same as monitor distance) helped. So a month ago I got a new pair of glasses. The entire left lens (left eye dominant) focuses at sight distance and the right lens is a bifocal w/ far focus in the top and sight focus in the bottom. Having the sights perfectly sharp and the target just slightly blurred really helps me.

I suggest Ben Stoeger’s Dry Fire Reloaded. Drill: Trigger Control at Speed.

I also suggest Skills and Drills Reloaded for live-fire drills.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

User Tag List