Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much ammo do you keep on hand? Not asking for #. The why and details are inside.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    At a rough count, I have firearms in roughly 53 different chamberings on hand.

Ammo stocks range from "0" for .32 Rimfire Long and .41 Swiss Rimfire to "Shiva Only Knows How Many Thousand" for .22LR. Most of my "working" calibers (.32ACP, 9x19, .38Spl, .44Spl, .45ACP, 5.56x45) have a couple thousand rounds in stock at any time. I get antsy if there are less than 2k rounds of deuce-deuce in the ammo can.

This is not counting my roommate's stocks.

You do not need to worry about any of this stuff getting released onto the market and depressing prices. That would be like trying to resell cans of Campbell's tomato soup.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Banned
    over 5000 rounds because guns are worthless without ammo

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    in roughly 53 different chamberings on hand.
    I don't think I can name 53 ...

Odd questions. Shooting competitively, I've got a good amount of ammo at times. I reload, so I make in large batches. The amount that I have depends on whether I recently reloaded.

That aside, you could call me a "prepper", although National Geographic is working hard to flush out the crazies and assign a negative connotation to the term. How much is enough? Who knows...I guess it depends on what you are prepping for - e.g., preventing looting after a natural disaster or dealing with a complete collapse of infrastructure for an extended period of time. I think a natural disaster is more likely and have less preps than many others. But that's just me.

Yeah, me either.........

I keep 2 full load outs for my go to defensive and fighting guns. Beyond that, it's what was on sale, I happen to have loaded, or didn't get around to shooting. I don't worry much about doomsday, being a prepper/survivalist, etc.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Yeah, me either.........

I keep 2 full load outs for my go to defensive and fighting guns. Beyond that, it's what was on sale, I happen to have loaded, or didn't get around to shooting. I don't worry much about doomsday, being a prepper/survivalist, etc.
    +1

My experience with most survivalists is that they should worry less about the apocalypse, and more about heart disease.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Enough carry ammo to load a few magazines plus some extra for the occasional practice session.

FMJ will vary from 10k+ to zero.
    Right now I have 500 rounds of 9mm NATO awaiting my Nano's arrival and 400 rounds of WWB waiting on this weekends match.

I do have several tin cans full of AK ammo (5.45x39 and 7.62x39), just because it was so dang cheap when I ordered it.
    $100 per 1000 for rifle ammo is too good to turn down.
    I bought two "spam" cans of 7.62x39 and don't even own an AK-47.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Currently I have a 500 round case of 124+p Gold Dots for my carry gun. 1000 rounds of XM-193 for the gun I'm picking up tomorrow, and maybe 300 rounds of heavy (200 grain?) DoubleTap XTP 10mm.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by F-Trooper05 View Post
    +1

My experience with most survivalists is that they should worry less about the apocalypse, and more about heart disease.
    The only one that I have seen fitting that category was on TV. However I have seen where people get OCD where they never have enough and are never satisfied that they are able to handle the scenarios that they have envisioned. I think it's that behavior that drives some to acquire mass quantities of food, water, ammo, etc. While I personally would not subscribe to such a tact, I would support their right in doing so.

Currently have 1600 of 9mm FMJ, 500 of that is allocated for a class next month. Just got off SGAmmo.com and ordered 2000 rounds of FMJ. I like to stay above 1000, and will buy a thousand or so at a time when I do buy.

About 200 rounds of JHP for my carry load.

I've got 320 or so of .380 carry loads for the .380 pocket pistol I no longer own, but plan to buy another one some day.

4950 of .22 that I will shoot down to 0 before I buy more. I think pigs will fly before .22 becomes expensive and scarce.

Other guns I just keep whatever on hand in case I want to shoot it.

15 rounds of buck for the 12ga.

About 260+ of 7.5 Swiss for my K31, a little over 50 for my S&W 19-4....

7 325gr lead hollow-points for my side-lock .54 Cal muzzle loader in case I want to get colonial on someones ass......or shoot a deer....

And........*sticks out chest proudly with nose in the air at Tam*

1 round of .41 Swiss Rimfire for my 1878 Vetterli!
    Last edited by TGS; 02-15-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List