Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: M&P Failures

In the M&P I think this is more a function of the hardness of the slide and the slide stop, along with the issue of engagement surface on the slide. There really isn't alot of material in the slide stop cutout to increase engagement and the angle is shallow. Since mine is a duty gun, I'm not changing it I'm adapting to it. If you look at a 1911, the hardness of the slide is significantly less than the slide stop itself, that leads to a little more friction. Also, the engagement surface is much deeper, I'm wondering if S&W will ever address this but I haven't heard anything so far.

M&P Failures-a unit where I work has had the M&P 45 for a few months (an 18 person group). They've probably shot 5k through each so far and there has been exactly one problem with 1 pistol. The slide lock/release mechanism got finagled somehow and the pistol wouldn't consistently lock back on an empty magazine.

Here is my belated reply to this thread.

My M&P45 broke its trigger pin and became inoperable after about 3500-4000ish rounds.

I've had problems with my M&P9.

First, it would completely fail to extract a case one time out of every 200-400 rounds. This happened with several types of ammo, including Ranger. It seems that the 9mm uses the same extractor as the original .40. An Apex extractor completely eliminated this issue and I have not had one in like 2K-3K rounds.

I have also had the slide release on the left side break after about 5000ish rounds:

But the issue that really bothers me is that I've had about 4 or 5 instances where the rounds in the magazine got lodged together and the mag would not feed. This has happened with a different magazine each time and happened despite the fact that I have upgraded followers and installed ISMI extra powered springs.

Below is a picture of it:

I suspect that it something was not done right with the redesign of the magazine for 9mm that makes it vulnerable to this.

When you look at the number of occurances that I have had divided by the number of rounds through the gun, it only translates into one instance per 1200-1500 rounds through the gun. But I have not had this happen with any other gun, so it bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    Here is my belated reply to this thread.

My M&P45 broke its trigger pin and became inoperable after about 3500-4000ish rounds.

I've had problems with my M&P9.

First, it would completely fail to extract a case one time out of every 200-400 rounds. This happened with several types of ammo, including Ranger. It seems that the 9mm uses the same extractor as the original .40. An Apex extractor completely eliminated this issue and I have not had one in like 2K-3K rounds.

I have also had the slide release on the left side break after about 5000ish rounds:

But the issue that really bothers me is that I've had about 4 or 5 instances where the rounds in the magazine got lodged together and the mag would not feed. This has happened with a different magazine each time and happened despite the fact that I have upgraded followers and installed ISMI extra powered springs.

Below is a picture of it:

I suspect that it something was not done right with the redesign of the magazine for 9mm that makes it vulnerable to this.

When you look at the number of occurances that I have had divided by the number of rounds through the gun, it only translates into one instance per 1200-1500 rounds through the gun. But I have not had this happen with any other gun, so it bothers me.
    this mag problem happened to me also on a brand new pro series, just this past Jan 2012, i first emailed them and got no response then finally got through on the phone and they said try it again (what a lot of help) so i try it again (all factory ammo) the same thing happened the follower would get hung up on the mag release notch in the side, i did switch the mag release over to the right side of the gun so i could release it with my right hand trigger finger. i thought they would just send me a new mag release but they sent me the fedex mailer to send it in. i hope it gets fixed right

Quote Originally Posted by 900-DRIVER View Post
    this mag problem happened to me also on a brand new pro series, just this past Jan 2012, i first emailed them and got no response then finally got through on the phone and they said try it again (what a lot of help) so i try it again (all factory ammo) the same thing happened the follower would get hung up on the mag release notch in the side, i did switch the mag release over to the right side of the gun so i could release it with my right hand trigger finger.
    The issue of the rounds lodguing together in the magazine has happened about 4 times in 6K+ rounds. It happened with different ammo and different magazines. If it was a matter of the mag release getting caught on the mag release follower, I suspect that I would have seen more occurrances. This is just in my case, I can't speak for what may be happening in other people's cases.

User Tag List