Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Failures

Quote Originally Posted by Zelly View Post
    2 1/2-3 lbs pull
    Really, the only thing I can think is "cringe." That's just dangerously light, in my book.

From his post on USN, it's a competition only gun.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The way I see it, I am not a cop, and as such don't have to potentially handle my handgun nearly as much, save for holstering/unholstering.
    I probably won't be ordering someone to do something with my weapon out. It's either run or fight. Hopefully the former. Should a situation deteriorate to the point where I actually draw down on someone, the average likelihood I am going to actually follow through and shoot once my gun is out is in my mind much higher than an average LEO.
    Conversely, you likely handle your pistol under stress less often than an average patrol officer; make threat/no-threat judgment calls less frequently than an average patrol officer; and, are more likely to face ambiguous or uncertain justification than an average patrol officer. All of those things, to me, suggest that having a very light trigger on a CCW gun would be a poorer option.

ToddG--Well said!!!

A few years ago, I shot with some older gentleman every weekend in Southern California at a private range. I ended up being firmly convinced that a Weaver stance and a good 1911 with a crisp, light trigger was the way to go. I bought a way too expensive Nighthawk 1911 with a 3lb trigger.

Shot this group and thought I was the cat's meow.

Now, the below is the first group out of my stock Gen4 Glock 19. Same distance (25', unsupported). Same number of rounds, range ammo, prolly about a 6lb stock Glock trigger.

****Note***I know these aren't bragging rights type pics but I feel that they do illustrate my point.

#RESIST

That's some good shooting, LL.

The only real "issue" that has concerned me with the M&P9's is the tendency for the slide to "Auto-Forward" during speed reloads. I know some may consider this a "feature", and while I have found that yes, it drops my reloads times when running ball FMJ ammo during training, I have also found that approximately 70-80% of the time it will induce a feed-way stoppage when running several different types of duty/hollow point ammo when relying on the "Auto-Forward". Every 9mm M&P FS I have shot does this consistently. Basically, the nose of the hollow point round gets hung-up at the very bottom of the feed-ramp completely locking the slide and requiring remedial action to clear it. I have owned two different M&P9 FS's. One from early 2007, and one from mid 2010. Both do this consistently. I have also tested this on thee other co-workers M&P9's with the same results.

I have had to recently re-train myself to not slam the magazine home and to use the slide stop lever to release the slide during my reloads.

I recently installed a KKM barrel in my M&P9 and it also locks-up when slamming the magazine in during reloads.

I will try to make a video in the next couple of days to show exactly what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    A few years ago, I shot with some older gentleman every weekend in Southern California at a private range. I ended up being firmly convinced that a Weaver stance and a good 1911 with a crisp, light trigger was the way to go. I bought a way too expensive Nighthawk 1911 with a 3lb trigger.

Shot this group and thought I was the cat's meow.

Now, the below is the first group out of my stock Gen4 Glock 19. Same distance (25', unsupported). Same number of rounds, range ammo, prolly about a 6lb stock Glock trigger.

****Note***I know these aren't bragging rights type pics but I feel that they do illustrate my point.

They do illustrate your point, and well.

I can tell you that right now, I could make a similar group with my Glock, but I don't think I could with yours. Maybe someday.but sadly, my trigger control is still that bad. As I said in my accuracy thread, I have come a long way, and am still overcoming some devastatingly bad habits.

Just 2 weeks ago I shot a friends all stock Glock, and I was all over the map. I just can't cope with the 'big ass speed bump' in the trigger before the shot breaks.

I don't know what the actual weight of my triggers are, but I do know they're somewhat less than stock configuration, and I know I feel fine carrying them like that. Though for a while I actually didn't, and actually carried chamber empty. Like I said- DEVASTATINGLY bad habits.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    The only real "issue" that has concerned me with the M&P9's is the tendency for the slide to "Auto-Forward" during speed reloads. I know some may consider this a "feature", and while I have found that yes, it drops my reloads times when running ball FMJ ammo during training, I have also found that approximately 70-80% of the time it will induce a feed-way stoppage when running several different types of duty/hollow point ammo when relying on the "Auto-Forward". Every 9mm M&P FS I have shot does this consistently. Basically, the nose of the hollow point round gets hung-up at the very bottom of the feed-ramp completely locking the slide and requiring remedial action to clear it. I have owned two different M&P9 FS's. One from early 2007, and one from mid 2010. Both do this consistently. I have also tested this on thee other co-workers M&P9's with the same results.

I have had to recently re-train myself to not slam the magazine home and to use the slide stop lever to release the slide during my reloads.

I recently installed a KKM barrel in my M&P9 and it also locks-up when slamming the magazine in during reloads.

I will try to make a video in the next couple of days to show exactly what I am talking about.
    Very interesting. Looking forward to seeing this.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Conversely, you likely handle your pistol under stress less often than an average patrol officer; make threat/no-threat judgment calls less frequently than an average patrol officer; and, are more likely to face ambiguous or uncertain justification than an average patrol officer. All of those things, to me, suggest that having a very light trigger on a CCW gun would be a poorer option.

Sorry for the continued thread derail.

I concur on the very light trigger. What is very light? What is just lightened? Depends on the individual.

Hopefully I'm not making a threat judgement with my gun out, for obvious reasons. Why its good to have a fast draw, I think you'd agree.

If I am indeed trying to figure out whether to shoot someone with my gun out (already not ideal), I don't think the difference between a 5.5# trigger and a 3.5# trigger will save me from screwing up and doing something I'll regret for the rest of my days. but if the target is something it want to shoot it may save me from badly pulling the shot and missing. I realize this is a judgement call, and I feel comfortable with my choice.

User Tag List