Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P Failures

M&P Failures

Every time we have a new recruit class, I see a few new failures that I either didn't consider or hadn't seen before. We have issued M&P9s since 2008, overall it has been an outstanding duty weapon. Here's a few:
    -trigger hinge pin walking out
    -extractor breakage
    -mag floorplate failure
    -rust (officer maint. failure)
    -roll pins splitting
    -recruit installing the guide rod backward during the mad-minute drill, had to take that one apart with a rubber mallet. I still have no idea how he got it together...

When we first got our M&Ps, S&W accidentally sent us a batch with .40 cal slides and 9mm barrels. We were baffled that all of our brass was hitting us in the forehead, it wasn't until we sent them back that they realized that the slides and extractors/ ejectors were wrong. It was funny afterward, but really aggravating at the time. I can say that most officer's love this pistol, I just wish it had a more definite trigger reset.

What issues have you guys run into?
    Mark

M&P40 that I purchased used with 72 rounds through it started having light primer strikes at around 1200 rounds. I replaced the extractor with the upgraded version and the issue went away.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

We are getting ready to go to the M&P .45. The research I did indicated that the 9mm had extractor issues in that it would not extract WWB for some reason(?). Someone even mentioned that the reason for the extractor failure was because the extractor used in the 9mm was originally designed for the .40 S&W. Apex Tactical makes a great replacement from what I understand.

I also contacted the largest agency in our state (NCSHP) and asked their main armorer if they were having any issues with their S&W M&P .357 Sig's. He indicated that their original drop shipment of 500 (out of 2000) had about 6 weapons that had some sort of trigger bar/sear issue.

Alamance County SO switched to the S&W .40 from the Glock 21. The guy I spoke with indicated that they had slide rust issues (user maint. failure as far as I was concerned); He also indicated that they had 2 slide stops completely break. Also, the M&P night sights seem to leave a lot to be desired because they seem to quit after a few years.

Raleigh PD switched to the M&P .45 about 2 years ago. They seem to have had no failures at this time...they bought close to a thousand.

ALL of these guys I spoke with say that S&W's customer service is outstanding. ANY issue they've had has been taken care of. The slide rust issues I mentioned...S&W sent the agency "a box of slides to use as needed." Thats what speaks the loudest to me.

Granted, I'm a Glock guy and would have loved to have another G-21 so my take on things is a bit skewed toward the Glock. I do not believe the Glock would have had these issues but if we had to have another weapon it would be the S&W M&P in .45.
    Last edited by KeeFus; 03-09-2011 at 08:20 AM.

I was aware of the various issues that needed to be resolved with the early models and some fixes came from S&W and some by Apex Tactical Specialties so I basically had a plan to resolve it before using it as a defensive handgun. The 1 issue I personally had was with two light strikes using RWS ammo which is known to have a hard primer, I replaced it with the newest striker that is supposedly stronger, slightly heavier, has a different geometry and a heavier striker spring with more coils. Hearing the possible problems with the 9mm's extracting WWB and other thin rimmed 9mm ammo, I decided to get Apex's Fail Resistant Extractor for my FS9 and later for my 9c which is a beefy sucker and is made for 9mm out of the box and can be adjusted for the other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscoutg36 View Post
    I just wish it had a more definite trigger reset.
    This has been my issue with the M&P right from the start, and it is the primary reason I rejected the M&P during the T&E phase when my former agency was looking at getting new pistols. I like pretty much everything about this pistol but the trigger.

I really like the way the M&P45 feels in the hand and have considered putting an aftermarket trigger in one.

regarding reset:

If you're gun fits into these models than you can have a better reset.
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid44.html
    https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid45.html

But without an Apex DCEAK or similar trigger job, you won't have a really short and distinctive reset. Here's a RAM install video my buddy did on my M&P and you can get an idea of before and after the RAM combined with my polished DCAEK.

If only, we have about 600 issued M&Ps on the road now but we don't allow mods to them. If we did, we'd be fixing dremel jobs every week. If I ever buy a personal one, the first thing I will do is install that Apex trigger group. I checked one out and was very impressed, they have some great products.

Quote Originally Posted by boyscoutg36 View Post
    If only, we have about 600 issued M&Ps on the road now but we don't allow mods to them. If we did, we'd be fixing dremel jobs every week. If I ever buy a personal one, the first thing I will do is install that Apex trigger group. I checked one out and was very impressed, they have some great products.

Just an FYI, the DCAEK and RAM are approved by quite a few agencies and Apex would have no problem giving you names of some of them and DocGKR may know of some as well. Send in a department letter head for a T/E kit to get them approved.

RAM for the .45 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Garner View Post
    RAM for the .45 yet?
    Hopefully soon

User Tag List