Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Shooting 92 low on DA shot--guidance requested

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    The biggest help for me was press-outs from a compressed ready position. Doing that, I was getting consistent hits on the smaller torsos of the SQT-A1 target at 10 yards firing DA only. Whereas before, while overthinking the whole DA trigger, I was sending shots low.
    There is a lot of value in doing this repeatedly. Bring the gun into a compressed high ready with the trigger/hammer in DA. As you press forward, take up some of the slack in that long heavy trigger pull. This helps minimize the amount of trigger you have to pull once the gun is fully extended. Do this, break the shot, then decock and do it again. And again. For a 12 lb trigger if you can take 6-8 lbs up before the gun hits your full extension, it'll minimize any anticipation/gun movement. (It won't make it entirely go away, but it helps mitigate the issue.) You can shoot a DA/SA system as well as you can a striker, but it requires more work. When my department issued me a DA/SA gun I had to do a metric TON of dry fire and additional supporting live fire work to get comfortable with it.

Site Supporter
    Update on this.

@GJM's suggestion was like a magic potion. Thanks George.

I've been doing a few months of ball and dummy drills. Before, out of a 15 round mag, I would get about 2-4 shots on paper at 25 yds (mistake on first post). I would also throw rounds into the dirt or other shots that were like feet off the target.

Now I'm still shooting low but there is progress: I'm getting 6-8 shots on paper at 25 yds typically. Sometimes I can get 10-12. No rounds in the dirt; and my low shots are barely off the paper.

Another important update: I picked up a PX4 compact. After 4 range sessions with ball and dummy, my performance with the compact matches my performance with G19 mentioned in first post. This is a huge win for me.

I appreciate everyone's help with this. Super stoked to be improving on DA/SA shooting.
    Last edited by fixer; 10-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.

IME, the dedicated work you're spending on the double action will only serve to improve your competence with Glock trigger also. Nice job.

Site Supporter
    Another update.. @GJM

Still improving DA shots using ball and dummy and excruciatingly discriminating dry fire.

I'm now at 12-14 out of 15 on target at 25 yds, slow fire. Groupings are improving.

This is with both the 92 and the PX4 compact.

The biggest improvement--single shot from concealment drills. I'm averaging about 6-8 shots on target out of a 10 shot string. This is with a 2.5 par time at 25 yds. I notice the shots that are off target are when I try to push things past 2.0 seconds.

Next challenges:

Improve groupings in DA , slow fire. Need to match or beat groupings with old G19.
    Get all 10 shots on target in single shot concealment drills, reliably.
    Ultimate goal: all shots in 6 inch circle, under 2.5 par, 25 yds.

User Tag List