Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting 92 low on DA shot--guidance requested

Site Supporter
    When I learned double action revolver shooting, my instructor encouraged his students to dry fire in front of a mirror at 7 yards. This worked for me and countless others. Of course use snap caps

Took my newly Frankensteined 92 Centurion and D Compact to the range this week, and found that I'm more prone to the low DA shot on the Centurion over the D.
    Need to up the dryfire game.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If you want to solve this, something else you might try is the Rogers School ball and dummy drill, where you alternate ball and dummy rather than go random.
    What is the reasoning behind alternating ball and dummy?

Re; shorter trigger reach. Is the gip on your 92 relieved like this?
    20180105_132319 by craig stuard, on Flickr
    Using a short reach trigger, thinnest grips possible, and this type frame makes a significant change.

Quote Originally Posted by zuplex View Post
    What is the reasoning behind alternating ball and dummy?

Some folks do fine dry but have problems live. With random ball and dummy, the shooter doesn’t know whether there will be an explosion or not. This might be useful in diagnosing a problem but doesn’t fix it.

With alternating, the shooter knows it will be dry, and over the course of a magazine can use positive reinforcement of multiple dry presses to carry over to live fire.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I find that for me it is often putting in recoil control that is untimed with the trigger press. The 92 is the worst for me because it is a newer platform. I have so many rounds between Sig and HK DA over 3 decades that the 92 is just a hair different. Coming from a new problem of bad arthritis in my hands, it has also gotten to be something that is a bigger issue. Take GJM’s advice on maxing the grip early. This is another reason the PX4 has been sort of a Godsend for me is I don’t need a death grip on it to control a lot of this and it’s recoil impulse. It is like an arthritis therapy gun.
    That last bit of hand tightening is what often gives Glock folks the low left issue. In the DA guns it tends to be not as distinctly left and more of just low for me.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Shooting low, but centered likely isn’t a trigger reach issue. It’s a flinch and anticipation issue. DA triggers are much like Glock triggers in that they need to be pressed straight through without stopping. The difficulty and distance of the shot will change the speed in which the trigger is pressed, but stopping (stagging) during the stroke isn’t condusive to best results.

Think of it this way. A DA trigger has a lot of movement. Stopping and starting along the way is just more opportunity for anticipation.

Here are a couple of drills that may help.

Wall drill in DA. Stand close to the wall and really focus on the sights, NOT the trigger press. Start with a slow press and progress to a faster press. Key points are keep trigger moving. You will be surprised how fast you can work a DA trigger with good accuracy. The purpose of the wall drill is to shift focus from the press to the sights. DA triggers in general need to be shot on autopilot.

Up Drill. As you progress, you will l learn to start working the trigger during the press out or extension. The video above is from the master and I have nothing to add on Fear Not the DA Shot. I personally like to start from low ready and snap the pistol up and begin working the trigger press during the up, with the goal of shooting the shot when you have an acceptable sight picture for the target and distance. Start with a large target and 5 yards, progress from there. This drill does 2 things; shows how fast you can work the trigger and get acceptable hits; and it keeps the finger moving.

If you distill the TECHNICAL DA shot process, you can sum it up to these points:

1. Don’t over think it or focus on the press when shooting. Let it happen, don’t make it happen. This really helps with the anticipation.

2. Vary the speed of the press with the difficulty of the shot and distance but always keep the trigger moving.

3. Learn to begin the press early (Fear Not The DA Shot). Waiting until the sights are perfectly aligned before placing your finger on the trigger and starting the press is a good way to increase anticipation and slows your time way down.

Note: During DA dry fire, don’t forget to work your safety or decocker lever. If you don’t, you are training your subconscious to ignore it, and that’s not a good thing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I find that for me it is often putting in recoil control that is untimed with the trigger press. The 92 is the worst for me because it is a newer platform. I have so many rounds between Sig and HK DA over 3 decades that the 92 is just a hair different. Coming from a new problem of bad arthritis in my hands, it has also gotten to be something that is a bigger issue. Take GJM’s advice on maxing the grip early. This is another reason the PX4 has been sort of a Godsend for me is I don’t need a death grip on it to control a lot of this and it’s recoil impulse. It is like an arthritis therapy gun.
    That last bit of hand tightening is what often gives Glock folks the low left issue. In the DA guns it tends to be not as distinctly left and more of just low for me.
    I think this is what is occurring. I'm not getting any flinching or any issues at all in SA. For some reason my mind is conflating the heavy trigger pull in DA with heavy recoil. The 92 is an exceptionally low recoil system so I need to do some re-wiring. This also makes sense because the issue pops up in live fire, not dry fire.

I also know that 'grip timing' is an issue as I can occasionally feel myself adjusting the grip all the way up to the trigger press.

I'm gonna try the alternating live and dummy drill.

Everyone thanks again for the super helpful suggestions.

CraigS--yes I have the radiused backstrap.
    Last edited by fixer; 06-10-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Another simple way of looking at it. Perhaps you were only paying attention to the sights and your trigger press for the portion of the trigger press that would normally result in a SA shot being fired. With a longer, harder DA press, your attention has shifted elsewhere and your grip is pulling the sites off.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post

Get as much finger on the trigger as you can. Forget center of the finger pad and all that, double action is a different animal. The more finger you have on the trigger the less levering effect will occur during your trigger press.
    Great suggestion here. With a DA/SA gun I find I almost put first knuckle on trigger. Very different from the “Finger pad only” stuff I read previously. This shift helped me tighten my groups up.

Funny thing though is if I get sloppy I will drop rounds in DA or SA. Mostly it is a anticipatory response, even though it’s a 9mm. It’s between my ears.

User Tag List