Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting 92 low on DA shot--guidance requested

For me the most successful help came from forcing myself to shoot 100 rnds in DA only. I also tend in DA, and also as I try to pick up speed, to switch from a sight picture where the POI is on the top edge of the front sight (how my sights are adjusted), to the front dot covering the POI. The 'drive the dots' technique. It's a bit of a cheat but it works. I also, every range trip, force my self to shoot the last mag of ammo in DA. That is what worked for me for 15 yrs or so until more recently when I started shooting local competition. That is when I started using lighter hammer springs. Oh wow, what a difference. And then 6 weeks or so ago I installed a Langdon trigger job in a bag. Oh wow, another jump in DA shooting. I don't know the details about how it is done but what I notice is that the increase in pull weight over the travel of the trigger seems to be less. My trigger gauge says that is not true, but it feels like the effort increases for the first 50% of the stroke, and then stays the same for the last 50%. We currently use 12 or 13# springs in our EIIs for competition but I am going to slowly add TJIBs to our HD 92s and use 14# springs. One other thing I have been doing lately, is grip the crap out of the gun w/ my left (support) hand. This is kind of new for me so I have to remember to do it, but when I do, the feeling of the gun not moving while I pull the trigger is obvious.
    Last edited by CraigS; 06-09-2018 at 02:55 PM.

As Tom Givens is quick to point out, some guns are too big for some hands. All of my trigger address issues go away when I shoot slim-gripped 1911s, P35s, and Gen 4 17s. They all come back when I try to shoot 226s, 92s, and oddly G19s.
    Ignore Alien Orders

@CraigS yea I broke my Beretta m9-22 doing that. ��
    Beretta fixes it though.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

If you set your maximum grip at the time you lift the pistol from the holster, you will minimize sympathetic squeezing as you press the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I’ll send you a Wilson Combat short reach trigger if you find trigger reach to be the issue. I have small/medium hands and I found my trigger finger contacts the frame with slim grips installed so I don’t have a use for it.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the detailed responses. I'm going to further digest them all.

I went back to range today. I tried to isolate my pinky. This alone brought my groups up about 10".

This tells me there is a huge grip issue going on.

I noticed that several times in trigger press the gun dips forward huge...like yuuuge. Of course this is when the shots nearly go into the dirt.

This happens even with the pinky isolated but once every 50 rounds instead of once every 15 with pinky on grip.

So I have a conundrum--modify my grip to be some strange pinky isolation thing, continue working 'normal' grip to reduce milking/ sympathetic squeezing, or cut losses and move back to G19.

If the gun is large for your hands get the slimmest grips you can.

Establish a good firm master grip before drawing from the holster, the firmer you grip the gun the less downward effect your trigger press will have.

Get as much finger on the trigger as you can. Forget center of the finger pad and all that, double action is a different animal. The more finger you have on the trigger the less levering effect will occur during your trigger press.

Don't nurse the trigger, this will only exacerbate the situation. This is one of the most common errors shooters make when using a double action trigger. Stroke the trigger firmly all the way through the press.

Get as high of a grip on the gun as you possibly can, bury it in your hand if possible. This will also minimize the downward levering effect.

As previously suggested, isolate your trigger finger instead of squeezing with your entire hand.

Don't over think it. Another common error.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-09-2018 at 06:56 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Thanks for the detailed responses. I'm going to further digest them all.

I went back to range today. I tried to isolate my pinky. This alone brought my groups up about 10".

This tells me there is a huge grip issue going on.

I noticed that several times in trigger press the gun dips forward huge...like yuuuge. Of course this is when the shots nearly go into the dirt.

This happens even with the pinky isolated but once every 50 rounds instead of once every 15 with pinky on grip.

So I have a conundrum--modify my grip to be some strange pinky isolation thing, continue working 'normal' grip to reduce milking/ sympathetic squeezing, or cut losses and move back to G19.
    If your goal is to solely develop defensive pistol skills, change to a type pistol you can shoot now. If your goal is to develop your overall technical shooting skills, solve this problem.

If you want to solve this, something else you might try is the Rogers School ball and dummy drill, where you alternate ball and dummy rather than go random.

User Tag List