Thread: How a Black-Powder Revolver Saved My Life.... by Matthew Allen -

How a Black-Powder Revolver Saved My Life.... by Matthew Allen -

"In the mid-1990s, on the banks of the Missouri River, the applicable lesson of "any gun beats no gun" would play a very instrumental role in saving my life".

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...saved-my-life/

Good read thanks for posting it. Glad it turned out ok for the author. A life lesson to be certain...

Rule 1

Site Supporter
    Something to think about as some of our loved ones balk at carrying a G19 with two spare magazines but can be convinced to drop a Kel-Tec P-32 in their pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Back in the day (a Tuesday), I carried a .36 cal 1851 Colt Navy replica around with me, when I was hiking, in the work truck, on road trips. This was a time, before I was old enough to carry a handgun around legally and a BP revolver didn't count as a "firearm/handgun". Wearing a shoulder stock, that same revolver served as my "apartment defense" weapon in college until I could afford an 870. It wasn't perfect, but it could shoot 4" at 25-yards and 5 of the 6 chambers were slugged a little tighter and it would give 3" groups from those five (guess which ones were loaded...).

Unfortunately, Illinois considers a black powder percussion revolver a "firearm" and says you can't carry one without a license. Otherwise, you'd probably find me toting a stainless '58 Remington Army repop in .44. - Fortunately, IL. changed the laws and now allow Texans to apply for and receive non-resident concealed carry permits, so it's unnecessary.

But in the meantime...I wonder if Lehigh's .451 diameter controlled fracture HPs can be loaded in a '58 Rem repop? https://www.lehighdefense.com/collec...nt=36101510216 Hmm....

The author is a little confused about his revolver. The 1862 Police is a great carry choice, but it's a five shot revolver.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Thanks for the kind words and glad the article was enjoyed.

By the way. Not confused about it being a six shot cylinder. The pocket police was a five shot. The Pietta Police Colt copy was in fact a six shot. I know because I'm looking at it.

All the best

Great read and a worthy post.

I have said for years that in an emergency...a loaded charcoal burner beats an empty Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew0 View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and glad the article was enjoyed.

By the way. Not confused about it being a six shot cylinder. The pocket police was a five shot. The Pietta Police Colt copy was in fact a six shot. I know because I'm looking at it.

All the best
    Then their copy isn't a copy, it's an Italian original.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

My dad was one of those old guys who got a little more weird as time went on. He was a deputy sheriff in northern Arizona for 40 years. He started after he got home from Korea when it wasn't all that unusual to see deputies in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona carrying Colt Peacemakers and Ruger Blackhawks in buscadero rigs. I have a couple of old pictures of him from the 50s carrying a thumb buster with his badge pinned to a khaki shirt with a Resistol hat.

He went kicking and screaming into the "modern era" of police work and carried a 5" Model 27 in a Jordan River Holster from the late 50s until he retired in the early 90s. On his last day, he carried his Peacemaker again. When SASS came around, he jumped in with both feet. After a little while, he started shooting Frontiersman with a pair of 1860 Army Colts (the Colt repros from the 70s). He got so into the charcoal burners, he bought a pair of Colt's Third Model Dragoons and instead of packing his Chief's Special in his pocket as he went about his business...the old bastard carried a pair of .31 caliber Baby Dragoons.

He never had to use the Dragoons or the Baby Dragoons to save his bacon, but he took a coues buck on our property outside of Prescott with one of the 44 Dragoons. One shot, pegged it to the ground.

One thing is for sure...I'd never want to catch a lead ball or conical bullet from one of those bastards.

User Tag List