Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safes 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Great thread.

We still haven’t found something yet for our needs. 3-4 pistols, some ammo, a few valuables etc. We had a Costco Combo Chinese one but gave it away downsizing. The 1.5 cu ft size was just about perfect, though, I just don’t really want another.

Have you guys ever looked at a distributed solution?

Meaning, several smaller safes or lock boxes stashed around the house. Seems like it would enable spreading the valuables out so they are not ‘all in one basket.’

I’m contemplating just such a situation...say a Simplex lock box by the bed, a box safe or lock box for ammo and what not, etc.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Makes sense, who makes good small safes?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    We have my wife's SV500, but also several of the AMSEC HAS410 pistol boxes throughout the house. The HAS410 is made of a more substantial construction (thicker steel) than most store bought full size "gun safes" that are under $1500-$2000 and uses a Simplex lock.

They make all sorts of substantial little pistol boxes and safes of small sizes.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-18-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    We have my wife's SV500, but also several of the AMSEC HAS410 pistol boxes throughout the house. The HAS410 is made of a more substantial construction (thicker steel) than most store bought full size "gun safes" that are under $1500-$2000 and uses a Simplex lock.

They make all sorts of substantial little pistol boxes and safes of small sizes.
    Thanks, will look into these.

Related, I stumbled on to this yesterday: Chinese made, but appears to be a mechanical lock, with some self-declared fireproof rating. Likely not a TL-15 safe, and more of a RSC, but I was wondering if y’all have come across this brand:

Steelwater AMSWD-360 2-Hour Fireproof Home and Document Safe

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016LNH5JI..._O.bkBbSH1D7BC

It’s 1 cu ft, and not battery operated. And a weight I could just about manage.

Any thoughts on this for a RSC?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

American Security Hide-A-Safe Handgun Safe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VS9G6O6..._t4ckBbMJ6SPE0

Very nice. Will look at AMSEC’s other, larger options as well.

American Security Hide-A-Safe Handgun Safe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VS9G6O6..._t4ckBbMJ6SPE0

Very nice. Will look at AMSEC’s other, larger options as well.
    If you find a good small safe please share because I’m in the market too. I just don’t have a big enough collection to justify a huge safe.
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Gun Safes 2018

Looking at this RSC, a Hayman Dynavault DV-2219:

https://www.safeandvaultstore.com/pr...e-safe-dv-2219

Made in Oviedo FL, where oddly I used to live. Online priced just under $1K. UL RSC, and fire rated 75 min @ 1,200°F. Old-school dial combo lock. No batteries. Adjustable shelves. Fabric lined.

It is 3.1 cu ft, which is bigger than I really wanted, but I think folks have told me to go bigger on a safe than you think you need.

Hmmm.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-19-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I purchases a B series a couple years ago with the 4 gage internal upgrade. I've been happy with it. It took some research on my part to order it then have a local locksmith install.
    Thought I'd mention this.....AMSEC discontinued the BF HD models (with the 4ga liner) and replaced them with the new BFII. It's a play on it's certification under the new UL RSC Level II standard. Basically, a two man attack for 10 minutes on the door using any tools.

In other words, it's the TL standard but for 10 minutes instead of 15 . From what my locksmith described to me, it's basically the BF HD series but with the lockwork from their TL15/TL30 rated safes in the RF-line....so that says a lot about the general construction of your BF HD safe!

Badass safe. I wanted what you had or the BFII, but it would've taken 5 weeks to get a BFII and my locksmith isn't even sure if he could safely get it down my stairs.....even with the door removed, which apparently accounts for 1/3 of the weight. I went with a BF6024 instead.

Nice safe, Drummer. I'm jealous!

Also, since this thread is all about security and whatnot....ya'll should upgrade your door locks to Grade 1. They're awesome from a gun enthusiasts standpoint. The deadbolt is essentially an HK G3 bolt with rollers that lock into the frame. Nerd out with me for a second....how neat is that? Dr. Karl Meyer's creation lives on....but in locks.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-21-2018 at 01:54 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I didn't know the BF series had been changed/ modified. It took several weeks to get mine when I ordered it because was a custom order. But Amsec shipped exactly when they quoted me, pretty much to the day. My dad ordered a Fort Knox after I ordered the Amsec and their quote was not as accurate, supposedly due to a machine going down.

Gun Safes 2018

Appreciate these ideas.

We ended up ordering one of the items mentioned in this thread.

It was a little larger than I originally wanted, but I think that is ok.

Appreciate everyone’s comments here.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-23-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Have you guys ever looked at a distributed solution?

Meaning, several smaller safes or lock boxes stashed around the house. Seems like it would enable spreading the valuables out so they are not ‘all in one basket.’

I’m contemplating just such a situation...say a Simplex lock box by the bed, a box safe or lock box for ammo and what not, etc.

Thoughts?
    A little bit late, but I'm looking at doing something like that when I finally land in a place longer than 24 months, though a bit larger solution. My current safe is an older 24 gun Winchester branded safe from Sam's that I bought from a friend that was moving back about 8 years ago. My thoughts are to upgrade to a more substantial Amsec TL15 or TL30 rated safe with a similar footprint for the not seldom used/shot guns that would go in the workshop. Then get a smaller 12 gun safe (Amsec TF5517 is the leading candidate) with my "everyday" guns to bolt to a concrete slab in my bedroom closet. Then a couple more "house guns" in quick access safes (like the Amsec safe you linked up a couple posts ago looks promising) in my office and a couple other areas.

Just my thoughts though, but I'm definitely a fan of distributing the guns around to other locations within the house. Partially for convenience, partially for not putting all my eggs in one basket.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Bumping this old thread... What kind of lock does everyone recommend? I'm looking at the Amsec ESL 10 vs a group 1 mechanical dial. While rapid access with an electronic keypad is a convenient I'm more invested in long term reliability (and immunity to EMP if that's even a credible threat)

User Tag List