Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gun Safes 2018

Quote Originally Posted by underhook View Post
    I had mine delivered to my garage then got a local lock smith to bolt it down. Was simple. Nothing specialized.

How good are Sturdy's relative to the others? Winchester etc?

I have a Secureit unit from my apartment living days. It's easy to move around etc. The interior storage is novel and I bought a retrofit kit from them for my Sturdy.
    The safe isn't going in a garage and will need either specialized machine or strong man crew to get it inside where its going, so curbside delivery is a no go. I simply need more local support.

As for Sturdy's check out their videos. They're pretty awesome.

One thing to note is that their comparison video of an axe attack against an AMSEC BF is done against a BF without the interior 4ga liner, but rather the standard liner. Sort of misleading, given you could have it for the same price point as the Sturdy and basically have the same protection against an axe attack. AFAIK the concrete fill is more troublesome for someone trying to cut the safe open, not punch it open with an awl/axe. Something about dissimilar materials and the type of blade you'd be using to cut open the metal.....IDK, maybe someone in here with more know how can comment on that bit.

And, for the price of a maxed out Sturdy, you might as well just buy yourself an actual TL rated AMSEC because you're already there price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    I'm in a similar boat to the OP. If things go to plan I will need to store 2 rifles, a shotgun, 3 pistols and ammo. I don't need/want a large safe.

I live in a low crime area and need to keep things from small hands and theft with pry bars/hammers/dremels. I'm unconvinced of the merits of fire protection in all but the most expensive of safes as without layers of insulation, the safe will simply conduct heat to it's contents. In the event of a fire, I understand that my insurance will cover the cost and while I am attached to my guns, there is nothing of any collector or sentimental value that outweighs the $ cost to replace. I live in a rental, 1000 square feet on the second floor. I have no garage or concrete floors and even if I could afford one, a heavy safe is not an option. This will change but not in the near future.

Having read the thread and it's links I am struggling to see any real practical difference between the sub $500 cabinets and "safes" between $500 and $3000. Given how easy it is to cut into the majority in this price bracket.

I like the idea of the SecureIt Ultra Light but what does it do that the Paragon 7501 doesn't for $300 less?

What am I missing here?
    Nothing. Everything you laid out is why I've still got my Stack-On cabinet. Only now in my new home with a dedicated arms room, concrete floor and fire wall x2 border am I getting a more substantial safe. Even then, due to its location (deep in the alarmed house behind a hardened steel frame/door with high security locks, in its own room, itself being inside a house with security glass and steel frame/doors with high security locks), staying with a cabinet is probably not an irresponsible decision. I just want it.

That head ain't just a hat rack, buddy. You one of them thinkin' men.

If you mount the security cabinet sturdily to the wall and wooden floor, and with the safe in a corner facing a wall, it makes it harder to pry the door as well. They could always spend the time to pry it off the wall (since it's basically wood screws, not bolts in concrete) but that's also unlikely for your living situation with neighbors. If you're worried about someone purposely targeting your safe then yes, you need to jump up quite a bit in price/capability. The one reason you might want a safe in the $1500 range, however, is to give you protection against an unskilled crew with a sledge and prybar. So, it does get you something, but again that can be mitigated with where you put the cabinet and how it's positioned relative to other structures.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-11-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    If you mount the security cabinet sturdily to the wall and wooden floor, and with the safe in a corner facing a wall, it makes it harder to pry the door as well. They could always spend the time to pry it off the wall (since it's basically wood screws, not bolts in concrete) but that's also unlikely for your living situation with neighbors. If you're worried about someone purposely targeting your safe then yes, you need to jump up quite a bit in price/capability. The one reason you might want a safe in the $1500 range, however, is to give you protection against an unskilled crew with a sledge and prybar. So, it does get you something, but again that can be mitigated with where you put the cabinet and how it's positioned relative to other structures.
    TGS, thank you.

Plan at the moment is to mount the cabinet in a bedroom closet. The closet extends about 2 feet to the right past the door so it's in a fairly confined space. Which side the hinges are on will determine the wall and facing tho ideally I want to screw/bolt to the floor, external and internal walls.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hiro View Post
    Plan at the moment is to mount the cabinet in a bedroom closet. The closet extends about 2 feet to the right past the door so it's in a fairly confined space.
    Take it for what it's worth but I did something similar in my home with a dehumidifier that was rated for 1500 square feet and still had humidity issues and some rust
    Last edited by Cypher; 06-12-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Just checking my emails tonight and see that FAS1 Safe is offering 18% off and free carpeting through Tuesday midnight. Use discount code DAD2018 for the discount.

Great thread.

We still haven’t found something yet for our needs. 3-4 pistols, some ammo, a few valuables etc. We had a Costco Combo Chinese one but gave it away downsizing. The 1.5 cu ft size was just about perfect, though, I just don’t really want another.

Have you guys ever looked at a distributed solution?

Meaning, several smaller safes or lock boxes stashed around the house. Seems like it would enable spreading the valuables out so they are not ‘all in one basket.’

I’m contemplating just such a situation...say a Simplex lock box by the bed, a box safe or lock box for ammo and what not, etc.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Great thread.

We still haven’t found something yet for our needs. 3-4 pistols, some ammo, a few valuables etc. We had a Costco Combo Chinese one but gave it away downsizing. The 1.5 cu ft size was just about perfect, though, I just don’t really want another.

Have you guys ever looked at a distributed solution?

Meaning, several smaller safes or lock boxes stashed around the house. Seems like it would enable spreading the valuables out so they are not ‘all in one basket.’

I’m contemplating just such a situation...say a Simplex lock box by the bed, a box safe or lock box for ammo and what not, etc.

Thoughts?
    Makes sense, who makes good small safes?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have a Liberty Fat Boy Jr that I keep all my weapons that aren't used for HD. Its a nice safe and I have no complaints about it.

Next to the bed I keep a G17 w/ TLR1 in a Gunvault Mini Safe, its good for what it does.

What im currently looking for is a small safe to keep in my master bedroom closet. This would be where I keep my carry guns , loaded mags, and some extra ammo. I would bolt it to the wall for extra protection from theft but mainly it would be to keep my kids from getting access to a loaded gun. I've been considering one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGY6GPG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I don't really want to spend more than $100 and it needs to have electronic access. Anything better for the price??

@Rich_Jenkins

What are you protecting against? What level of security do you want?

I’m sure it’s obvious that the safes you are talking about can be completely walked off with. Even if you bolted down to furniture, it wouldn’t require much effort for the bad guy to break it apart and and steal the whole thing. If you’re primarily concerned about preventing access to kids/grandkids, then maybe $30 Sentry File chest/safes at Walmart/Target are sufficient.

With respect, you don’t have a huge amount invested in your gun collection so high levels of security may not be necessary.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    @Rich_Jenkins

What are you protecting against? What level of security do you want?

I’m sure it’s obvious that the safes you are talking about can be completely walked off with. Even if you bolted down to furniture, it wouldn’t require much effort for the bad guy to break it apart and and steal the whole thing. If you’re primarily concerned about preventing access to kids/grandkids, then maybe $30 Sentry File chest/safes at Walmart/Target are sufficient.

With respect, you don’t have a huge amount invested in your gun collection so high levels of security may not be necessary.
    It’s not just for the Glocks my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    It’s not just for the Glocks my friend.

David S.

User Tag List