Thread: Week 272: F-PAR Failure Drill

Week 272: F-PAR Failure Drill

Week 272: F-PAR Failure Drill

Results may be posted until July 8th, 2018.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: A-zone (USPSA, 8" circle, or 8.5x11 sheet of paper) and 3x5 card
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 80

You will need a shot timer for this drill and you will need to know how to operate the PAR function.

This is another Floating PAR.

For this week, each draw starts with three shots to the body (large target) followed by one shot to the head (3x5). Begin with a PAR time that you can confidently get 100% hits.

Draw and fire three to the body, one to the head. If you score all hits, reduce the PAR time by 0.1 seconds. If miss one, increase the PAR by 0.1 seconds; if you miss two or more shots, increase the PAR by 0.2 seconds. Do not make incremental changes greater than this even if your times are much farther from the PAR.

Draw and fire two again with the new PAR. Repeat the process (subtracting 0.1 seconds for 100% hits or adding 0.1-0.2 seconds when there is a miss) until you've performed a total of 20 4-shot draws.

If you cannot draw from the holster on your range, then shoot the drill from ready instead.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Start position (open holster, concealed, retention holster)
    Body target used
    Starting PAR
    Lowest PAR with 100% hits
    Final PAR (20th draw)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

2.0c from Dark Star Gear aiwb from under a polo
    uspsa a zone
    starting par - 4 seconds
    lowest par with 100% hits - 3.6
    Final par - 3.6

Time/PAR/hits
    1. 3.08/4.00/clean
    2. 2.89/3.9/clean
    3. 2.76/3.8/-1b
    4. 2.53/3.9/clean
    5. 3.27/3.8/clean
    6. 2.51/3.7/clean
    7. 2.56/3.6/-1b-1h
    8. 3.33/3.8/clean
    9. 2.96/3.7/-1b
    10. 3.1/3.8/-1h
    11. 3.18/3.9/clean
    12. 3.23/3.8/-1h
    13. 3.04/3.9/clean
    14. 3.17/3.8/clean
    15. 3.2/3.7/clean
    16. 2.86/3.6/-1b
    17. 3.23/3.7/clean
    18. 3.23/3.6/clean
    19. 3.78/3.5/clean
    20. 3.2/3.6/clean

So i set the initial par about a half second or so too high. It somewhat skewed the results but I still pushed and had a 2.51 clean run with a bunch around the 3 second mark. On run 19 I f'd the grip resulting in a clean over time run. Anticipation showed it's head on quite a few runs, notably two runs where I was -1h. I called two of the missed body shots vividly and new they were mikes before i looked downrange, so my shot calling is improving which is a positive I guess. I've been enjoying the floating par drills this year and hope they continue. It is a nice balance of pushing and control/consistency.

Name:  20180608_170002.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  29.0 KB

Excuse the hardcover target, i have a stock of old used targets from when i helped run local matches and this was on top of the pile.
    Last edited by backtrail540; 06-09-2018 at 06:50 AM.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Start position (open holster, concealed, retention holster) :
    G19-5 in a DSG Orion concealed AIWB under a closed front button up shirt
    Body target used:
    B8 8 ring
    Starting PAR:
    2.5s
    Lowest PAR with 100% hits:
    2.3s
    Final PAR (20th draw) :
    3.1s
    Anything you noticed:
    8 clean runs and 12 runs with a single miss, including one where I missed the head box completely. All but three of those misses went low. Those three misses were head shots. I’ve found that if I miss the head on a failure drill, I usually overshoot the transition and send a round too high. Every missed body shot landed in the 7 ring. 7 runs were under 2.2s with a few of those at 2.02s. I need to speed up my draw. I averaged in the 1.4X range for my first shot. My press out needs work. My recoil control needs work. Much work to be done.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Start position (open holster, concealed, retention holster) :
    G19-5 in a DSG Orion concealed AIWB under a closed front button up shirt
    Body target used:
    B8 8 ring
    Starting PAR:
    2.6s
    Lowest PAR with 100% hits:
    2.4s
    Final PAR (20th draw) :
    2.4s
    Anything you noticed:
    I started out poorly and improved near the end today. My first six runs each had a miss or two. 11 of the next 14 were clean. One of the 20 runs had two misses. The other 8 runs that had misses only had one. Most of my misses were head shots. I missed one or two body shots through the whole thing. About half way through, I saw that I was going way faster than the PAR time and decided to slow down and really try to get my hits. It paid off and my final six runs were clean. The final run was a clean 1.98.

I also noticed that I fired a few body with a really poor sight picture that ended up being hits. I had figured they’d be misses as soon as I broke the shot but they ended up landing within the 8 ring. A good reminder that at shorter distances, even sloppy sight pictures are often good enough to get hits.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List