Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint just dropped ACRO P-1 MRDS!

I just replaced a type2 RMR in an ATEi pro pocket. Yes - the new RMR was a very snug fit, but John at ATEi walked me through the installation process and the replacement dot is in place.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    The Aimpoint is sweet because you will need a pro cut/precision cut. It will be universal like most mounting systems for optics.
    Did you mean to say the Aimpoint is sweet because you will NOT need a pro cut? Three letters make a big difference.

I don't think anyone knows what the exact benefit is of a "Pro cut" in terms of longevity of an optic. Anecdotally, I think my DP Pro units last longer in a direct milled installation, but is also possible that is just chance, the different year optics I happened to install, or variation by brand optic.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Did you mean to say the Aimpoint is sweet because you will NOT need a pro cut? Three letters make a big difference.
    Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I don't think anyone knows what the exact benefit is of a "Pro cut" in terms of longevity of an optic. Anecdotally, I think my DP Pro units last longer in a direct milled installation, but is also possible that is just chance, the different year optics I happened to install, or variation by brand optic.
    I did not get mine cut with the plan of it failing and installing a backup. After talking to Atei they made it very clear that the pro cut is ultimately more reliable because the optic is so tight in the slide and there is no play. My job revolves around precision made parts. And if anything is not precise or has movement, it will fail sooner.

This is like everything else. Different folks have different demands. I am not saying all pro cuts have zero chance of changing optics. But if your replacement is on the other end of the tolerance spectrum it will most likely not fit without proper persuasion. I am putting my trust in Atei on what they think is the best application for the use I intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    I did not get mine cut with the plan of it failing and installing a backup. After talking to Atei they made it very clear that the pro cut is ultimately more reliable because the optic is so tight in the slide and there is no play. My job revolves around precision made parts. And if anything is not precise or has movement, it will fail sooner.

This is like everything else. Different folks have different demands. I am not saying all pro cuts have zero chance of changing optics. But if your replacement is on the other end of the tolerance spectrum it will most likely not fit without proper persuasion. I am putting my trust in Atei on what they think is the best application for the use I intended.

I think it is a more complicated analysis.

Direct milling is more secure than a MOS type mounting system, but it weds you to a particular optic. To date, there is no obvious red dot that checks enough boxes for me to live forever.

Primary Machine also says a secure pocket is better for optic reliability, but they and other installers have a vested interest in that solution. Same with integral bosses, those that do them swear by them. All this precise fitting is great until your red dot fails and the replacement requires fitting. And, if you shoot a lot, your red dot will fail.

While your professional experience suggests a tight fit is better, how do you square this with Aimpoint testing their Acro to more than 20,000 rounds of .40 with an Acro mounted on an MOS style Glock .40 caliber pistol. Are you aware of any formal testing of direct milled pro cut installations versus the same optics in MOS type systems, or is this mainly conjecture and some plural of anecdotes?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Anecdotally, I think my DP Pro units last longer in a direct milled installation, but is also possible that is just chance, the different year optics I happened to install, or variation by brand optic.
    Coming out of my work-induced hibernation to say that I love when people recognize the phenomenon of true/true/unrelated. It is very easy to jump to causation when we identify an associational relationship with persuasive narrative support, but the entire reason the field of statistics was born is because we are very bad at doing so accurately.

Anyway, back to work...

I think it is a more complicated analysis.

Direct milling is more secure than a MOS type mounting system, but it weds you to a particular optic. To date, there is no obvious red dot that checks enough boxes for me to live forever.

Primary Machine also says a secure pocket is better for optic reliability, but they and other installers have a vested interest in that solution. Same with integral bosses, those that do them swear by them. All this precise fitting is great until your red dot fails and the replacement requires fitting. And, if you shoot a lot, your red dot will fail.

While your professional experience suggests a tight fit is better, how do you square this with Aimpoint testing their Acro to more than 20,000 rounds of .40 with an Acro mounted on an MOS style Glock .40 caliber pistol. Are you aware of any formal testing of direct milled pro cut installations versus the same optics in MOS type systems, or is this mainly conjecture and some plural of anecdotes?
    Honestly I think the Aimpoint mounting system even when mounted to a mos is superior. You are not using multiple screws as your primary mounting design. They do not compare to one another so I do not think that is fair. Also the Acro itself is most likely a better more reliable product. I would still trust a direct milled Acro mount over mos mount. Less moving parts, and less mounting points is simply better in my opinion.

r
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Coming out of my work-induced hibernation to say that I love when people recognize the phenomenon of true/true/unrelated. It is very easy to jump to causation when we identify an associational relationship with persuasive narrative support, but the entire reason the field of statistics was born is because we are very bad at doing so accurately.

Anyway, back to work...
    We'll be waiting for an RCT on this subject for a long time. Meanwhile, the data of breaking n units over 5 months and then breaking n/8 units over 5+m months will remain the most conclusive evidence one might get.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    r

We'll be waiting for an RCT on this subject for a long time. Meanwhile, the data of breaking n units over 5 months and then breaking n/8 units over 5+m months will remain the most conclusive evidence one might get.
    My aspergers finds this paucity of evidence unsatisfactory!!!

User Tag List