Page 29 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint just dropped ACRO P-1 MRDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Absolutely no functioning issues with the sight (which is only 2.1 ounces). Over 90% of the 3,000 + rounds I've seen through this G-34 have been commercial 115 FMJ: WWB and Federal 115 (both brass and aluminum). No malfunctions or sluggishness at all and some of that was with the gun bone dry of lube after I doused the sight and gun under the hose several times to demo that the sight isn't weather sensitive.
    Sir, do you know if they tested it with Glocks that have weapon lights mounted? In this day and age I would assume so, but assuming gets me in hot water most of the time. Thanks!

MAC has a demo of a B&T USW Glock chassis with a direct-mount ACRO. (Skip to 17:07, apparently the board doesn't support Youtube timecodes.)

I haven't SBR-ed anything in awhile, but I may need to get this one.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Sir, do you know if they tested it with Glocks that have weapon lights mounted? In this day and age I would assume so, but assuming gets me in hot water most of the time. Thanks!
    Not to my knowledge, but I bet somebody will be doing that soon. With the exception of the Gen 3 Glock .40 caliber stuff, it shouldn't be an issue. Didn't we all learn our lesson from those??
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Not to my knowledge, but I bet somebody will be doing that soon. With the exception of the Gen 3 Glock .40 caliber stuff, it shouldn't be an issue. Didn't we all learn our lesson from those??
    But Wayne, there’s so many cheap police trade-ins! And those .40 cal boolits are afforable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne, can you confirm / deny with a wink wink a possible release date window? Weve seen everything from October to NRA next year.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The following is honestly in ignorance with no antagonism intended. Please take it that way.

@GJM has posted several times lately about how much easier it is to go fast with a DPP than it is with an RMR. The window on the P1 is narrower, but the same height as the window on an RMR, although the Aimpoint may have a more useable shape. (?) I would think the discussion of durability and reliability is a no-brainer, given the closed emitter design. Does the Aimpoint offer an advantage in ease of dot acquisition over the RMR, or all said and done are we all going to find it's no better than the RMR in that respect?

@Wayne Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    The following is honestly in ignorance with no antagonism intended. Please take it that way.

@GJM has posted several times lately about how much easier it is to go fast with a DPP than it is with an RMR. The window on the P1 is narrower, but the same height as the window on an RMR, although the Aimpoint may have a more useable shape. (?) I would think the discussion of durability and reliability is a no-brainer, given the closed emitter design. Does the Aimpoint offer an advantage in ease of dot acquisition over the RMR, or all said and done are we all going to find it's no better than the RMR in that respect?

@Wayne Dobbs
    I am convinced the RMR issue is not primarily size.

The RMR is smaller than the DP Pro, but it also has a lot of frame, the window is not clear, and it appears sloped — all of which make it hard to quickly see through the optic. The RMS Shield is very close in size to the RMR, but I don’t find it objectionable, like the RMR.

DP Pro

Name:  0FB840DE-6D1F-4C73-BC93-F5D23641100A.jpg
Views: 7360
Size:  25.0 KB

RMR
    Name:  65D515D4-60E9-4FB0-82AC-220AD539691A.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  28.2 KB

RMS Shield (I took this photo later, and I am further back than with others, but you can see how much clearer the lens is than on the RMR).

Name:  3E57FE80-BC12-48F8-A234-81DE207FC2C4.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  29.5 KB

Darryl and I were discussing this yesterday, and based on his shooting the Acro, he felt it seemed very much DP Pro like and very different than the RMR. Hope to see in ten days!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks for the reply! The Shield is impressive for the size.

ETA: The RMR does look very congested compared to the other two.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 01-12-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post

@Wayne Dobbs
    I find it much easier than the RMR and the reason it is for me is that I perceive the window is taller on the P-1. My challenge on any red dot pistol sight, which shall henceforth be called a Pistol Mounted Optic (PMO, the term LAPD has developed for their testing program) is not lateral hunting for a dot, but vertical. I've learned to keep your face as flat to the target as possible and also to use the carbine mounted optic mindset of hard target focus. That's a challenge for me as I have a strong motor program in my brain to look for the sights in two different planes as I present a pistol. I think that most folks could do a day or two of focused work with PMOs and get to a very high level of competence and confidence.

This new P-1 is going to begin the second generation of this concept. All the previous ones are simply proof of concept. This one takes the act "coast to coast", so to speak.

And, if you're not aware, the LAPD, with cooperation and participation by LASD, are doing a very extensive, comprehensive and objective testing program as we speak of PMOs and PMO capable pistols. This is more than the typical LE T&E that's more of a fun day at the range, resulting in a poorly informed decision about some piece of gear. They will make their findings available to all LE agencies when published this year and it will certainly be of much value in choosing these optics for duty use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am convinced the RMR issue is not primarily size.

The RMR is smaller than the DP Pro, but it also has a lot of frame, the window is not clear, and it appears sloped — all of which make it hard to quickly see through the optic. The RMS Shield is very close in size to the RMR, but I don’t find it objectionable, like the RMR.

DP Pro

Name:  0FB840DE-6D1F-4C73-BC93-F5D23641100A.jpg
Views: 7360
Size:  25.0 KB

RMR
    Name:  65D515D4-60E9-4FB0-82AC-220AD539691A.jpg
Views: 2243
Size:  28.2 KB

RMS Shield (I took this photo later, and I am further back than with others, but you can see how much clearer the lens is than on the RMR).

Name:  3E57FE80-BC12-48F8-A234-81DE207FC2C4.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  29.5 KB

Darryl and I were discussing this yesterday, and based on his shooting the Acro, he felt it seemed very much DP Pro like and very different than the RMR. Hope to see in ten days!
    George!

Where did you lay hands on an optics ready VP9??? Or, are those direct mill jobs? It's my best information that they will introduce an optics ready model at SHOT week after next.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 01-12-2019 at 09:59 AM.

User Tag List