Page 13 of 134 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint just dropped ACRO P-1 MRDS!

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Holy crap. That window looks TINY. Hope it’s an optical illusion or lack of references.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Using the back of the slide as a reference and comparing that to my DPP and RMR, ya it looks pretty dang small.
    Glad you two mentioned it. I said exactly the same to GJM and he called me a pessimist.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

The window is smaller than an RMR's, according to the specs: https://www.aimpoint.com/fileadmin/u...-1_ENG_Web.pdf

0.63"×0.63" for the ACRO, while the RMR's published specs are 0.87"×0.63". DPP is at 1.01"×0.68", Aimpoint Micro T-2 and CompM5 are at 0.7" in diameter.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-31-2018 at 12:17 AM.

Well I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but with RDS does the window size really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Well I'm not the smartest guy in the room, but with RDS does the window size really matter?
    Bigger window means bigger FOV, which means the dot is easier/faster to find. Less of an issue with long guns, due to more points of contact, but more pronounced with handguns that are much less forgiving of a poor index, hence why @GJM argues that the DPP is far superior to the RMR for gaming.

Im expecting mine in hand end of next month. Can't wait to try it
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Yes as a general answer; more nuanced if you go into details. If you're shooting largely standing still and largely on one target, larger window is better but the performance difference is small. My times on Garcia dot drills or Bill Drill are not a ton different between DPP and RMR. Once you introduce other variables like moving, off positions or transitions, I find size does matter. That has even been confirmed with rifles when everyone jumped on AP Micro train and then some found out they did not shoot it as well in strange positions as full sized AP.

This opinion is not necessarily shared by everyone, including some on this site. On the other hand, RMR is a dominant optic in self defense or tactical community, while its share during last year USPSA optics nationals was just 10%.
    This new AP optic induces some pessimism in me because its window is reported as smaller than RMR, it looks that way to me too, while overall unit size is larger.
    The optimists like my friend GJM want to get their hands on to pass a judgment, and they are probably right.
    Last edited by YVK; 07-31-2018 at 05:02 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I really hope AP gets these out this year and this isn't a "hey we released some info but the official drop isn't till SHOT 2019."

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I really hope AP gets these out this year and this isn't a "hey we released some info but the official drop isn't till SHOT 2019."
    I agree.

Maybe atei can cut the slide to direct mount the acro. That way you can bypass the mounting plate. Might be able to get it a little lower and no sealer plate to worry about.

Site Supporter
    I'm going to throw something out and it's not because I work for Aimpoint. I think that the ACRO is the next step up or paradigm shift on the pistol mounted RDS. All we've had to now are proof of concept sights that lacked durability and/or environmental adaptiveness. When they worked, they were a force multiplier and when they didn't, well, they broke your heart. So, the ACRO will now bring the durability and the environmental resistance needed for much better success. Window size or field of view is a constant topic with dot sights on carbines or pistols, but it shouldn't be with proper utilization. If you want small and compact, then you get small and compact, not big and wide.

I think that when RDS for pistols has finally fully evolved, it will not be a lot bigger than the profile envelope of a suppressor sights package and may not even be on the back of the gun. Think of some streamlined housing up front where we're used to looking with irons. Just a thought, but I think we're only on the front end of a journey that has lots more miles to go.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    I think that when RDS for pistols has finally fully evolved, it will not be a lot bigger than the profile envelope of a suppressor sights package and may not even be on the back of the gun. Think of some streamlined housing up front where we're used to looking with irons.
    This.

When I first started seeing dots on guns, it was the Docter sight on a mount on open guns. And that largely made sense how it was mounted due to it’s size. Then I saw a Roland and thought “why the hell isn’t it forward of the ejection port? That’s where my visual focus is trained to be and that’s the part of the gun I’m trying to steer...”.

Dots are getting there, but they’re not quite yet there for me yet. It’ll be interesting to see where it all goes.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List