Page 100 of 134 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1337

Thread: Aimpoint just dropped ACRO P-1 MRDS!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Who would want that?

Probably a marginal gain in battery life vs a tiny or off color view through the optic? No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    What if it was the same tint as an rmr, but allowed the optic to be set on 6 or 7 for closer to a year battery life? I don’t know how the numbers would work out, but some might find it a worthwhile trade. It would probably be the cheapest and fastest way to re-engineer it for longer battery life too.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Do you mind giving an outline of your strategy?
    I bought 30 batteries.

I'm keeping 5 in the car, 10 in my range bag, 10 at home, 5 in my briefcase and one in the grip of the gun retained by a grip plug.

Since the gun isn't my primary at home, I dial the brightness down to 6 when I take the holster off. I dial it up to 8 to carry normally. I will dial it up to 9 if I'm at the range or I'm going to be spending significant time outdoors in bright sunlight.

The plan is to proactively replace the battery every 30 days.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I bought 30 batteries.

I'm keeping 5 in the car, 10 in my range bag, 10 at home, 5 in my briefcase and one in the grip of the gun retained by a grip plug.

Since the gun isn't my primary at home, I dial the brightness down to 6 when I take the holster off. I dial it up to 8 to carry normally. I will dial it up to 9 if I'm at the range or I'm going to be spending significant time outdoors in bright sunlight.

The plan is to proactively replace the battery every 30 days.
    How expensive are the batteries?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I know me. That MX schedule is a complete no go for me.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    How expensive are the batteries?
    9 bucks for a 10 pack.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    What if it was the same tint as an rmr, but allowed the optic to be set on 6 or 7 for closer to a year battery life? I don’t know how the numbers would work out, but some might find it a worthwhile trade. It would probably be the cheapest and fastest way to re-engineer it for longer battery life too.
    Have we definitively established that the ACRO won't run for a year on #6? According to the literature the optic should go 1.5 years at this setting.

#7 is the default setting when the optic is turned on. It should last 6 months at this setting. 7 is decent and probably fine indoors or on the late shift, etc.

That info right there should give us about all the data we need. Going up one step in brightness cuts 2/3 off the battery life.

Have we definitively established that the ACRO won't run for a year on #6? According to the literature the optic should go 1.5 years at this setting.

#7 is the default setting when the optic is turned on. It should last 6 months at this setting. 7 is decent and probably fine indoors or on the late shift, etc.

That info right there should give us about all the data we need. Going up one step in brightness cuts 2/3 off the battery life.

Sounds like something that needs to be determined, possibly sim. to GJM’s ongoing bench test & it would be good to get Wayne’s batt. feedback after running his ACRO for close to a yr? now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    Sounds like something that needs to be determined, possibly sim. to GJM’s ongoing bench test & it would be good to get Wayne’s batt. feedback after running his ACRO for close to a yr? now.
    Yes.

My unit went about eight days on the max setting. That was turning it on and leaving it on and checking it whenever I remembered to look. Not very scientific and had I known it wouldn't last a couple weeks or whatever I would have paid more attention.

What I guess I should do now is set the optic on #9 and check it 1x every 24 hours until it konks out. Repeat at #8 and see what that does. Settings 8 & 9 should get most users through about anything they'll likely use the optic for.

Sounds like a lot of work....

Yes.

My unit went about eight days on the max setting. That was turning it on and leaving it on and checking it whenever I remembered to look. Not very scientific and had I known it wouldn't last a couple weeks or whatever I would have paid more attention.

What I guess I should do now is set the optic on #9 and check it 1x every 24 hours until it konks out. Repeat at #8 and see what that does. Settings 8 & 9 should get most users through about anything they'll likely use the optic for.

Sounds like a lot of work....

So on mine what happened was that the dot didn't konk out. When the battery got low it displayed the dot but only very, very faintly. Instead of being on a 9 setting it seemed somewhere between a 7-8 setting which was almost impossible to see in bright daylight. Then sometime overnight the battery gave up entirely. So it will warn you if you are paying attention.
    3/15/2016

From what I’m reading the battery life on these is not as long as most (all) of is would like. That being said dot management is something I’ve had to do for years with my work guns. First with Eoturds and now with an Aimpoint H-1. I work a swing shift 1400-2400, the H-1 starts out on 10 and gets turned down to 8 at sunset and it’s stored in the off position. Now the battery life on an H-1 is crazy long used like this but when I was issued an Eotech I had to change the batteries on a regular schedule. If I am allowed to put a ACRO on my new duty pistol I’m planning on running it in the same manner as I run my work rifles, manage the brightness during my shift and turn it off while I’m sleeping and the pistol is not being used (I keep plenty of blasters around the house for immediate use if necessary and generally don’t carry my work gun off duty). This will require a bit more thought and preventative maintenance but I’ve found it very workable over the years. Seems like at this point an ACRO for duty, an RMR for off duty and Trijicon’s new one for gaming (if I go full on PMRDO for everything) seems like it could be a viable compromise. Would I have preferred a longer battery life and be able to just use an ACRO for everything? Absolutely but until the next generation of enclosed emitter PMRDO’s come out this optic still seems to be the best for my uses.

ETA: If full value sunlight (in Southern AZ on a cloudless day between 1100-1400) I’ve been using the ACRO at setting 8 and it’s very seeable...
    Last edited by TCB; 06-15-2019 at 05:37 PM.

User Tag List