Page 35 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint just dropped ACRO P-1 MRDS!

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Karl Rehn has said that he used the BUIS for the close-in shots when he made GM in CO, ignoring the red dot.
    Actually, I believe he said that he had the dot turned off and used just the iron sights. Something is weird about that whole deal, as he had, last time I looked, just four classifiers on record and I couldn’t see a single regular match he shot in CO.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    At this point, unless he muzzles Wayne Dobbs, I could care less what he does, as long as we get to see an actual Acro. Seems weak that they are doing a redesign of the cross bolt and battery compartment to “all use the same tool as a Micro,” when the market has been waiting forever for these.
    ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    BUIS should be for when your RDS goes down completely. Not to make up for shortcomings in the performance of your RDS.
    But they all have something they sacrifice. There’s no free lunch in my experience. A manual RDS forces you to choose before an event what brightness you want. If that’s a match you’re good. If it’s a real event the conditions can change and we don’t always have control.

I’ve worked in some very bright and sunny parts of the country. Places where a red dot needs to be on its highest or almost highest setting to be visible. But if that chase/fight moves into a structure then the dot is so bright it can obscure the target/threat. If I have it set for low light or indoor work and have to move outside, now I can’t see the dot. We are at a point where we must pick our poison and train to win with it. Same goes for the EOTech style optics.

It’s also why I’ve started thinking an etched reticle or crosshairs of an LPV are ideal for times when the dot is “lost” no matter the reason. But for handguns I feel more comfortable with the problem you mentioned because for most of my life I’ve shot handguns with just iron sights. I feel faster using the BUIS for a “missing” dot than making manual adjustments to the optic when I can’t afford to be distracted. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    But they all have something they sacrifice. There’s no free lunch in my experience. A manual RDS forces you to choose before an event what brightness you want. If that’s a match you’re good. If it’s a real event the conditions can change and we don’t always have control.

I’ve worked in some very bright and sunny parts of the country. Places where a red dot needs to be on its highest or almost highest setting to be visible. But if that chase/fight moves into a structure then the dot is so bright it can obscure the target/threat. If I have it set for low light or indoor work and have to move outside, now I can’t see the dot. We are at a point where we must pick our poison and train to win with it. Same goes for the EOTech style optics.

It’s also why I’ve started thinking an etched reticle or crosshairs of an LPV are ideal for times when the dot is “lost” no matter the reason. But for handguns I feel more comfortable with the problem you mentioned because for most of my life I’ve shot handguns with just iron sights. I feel faster using the BUIS for a “missing” dot than making manual adjustments to the optic when I can’t afford to be distracted. YMMV.
    I always run my RM06 two pushes down from the brightest setting and I don’t need to make any adjustments in bright or low/no-light situations to have a visible/useable dot.

I found the idea of using the housing as a rear sight interesting.

That's what I do with RMR. My BUIS is not a true height.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think there is room for respectful disagreement, but “shortcomings in the performance of your RDS,” is something I definitely associate with the RMR. There is a reason you see ZERO better shooters using an RMR in USPSA Carry Optics competition.
    Ooh... a challenge. Seeing as how my RMR has endured a ton of abuse and still runs and a bunch of guys I know who run DPPs have had them go and died, I’d consider actually working when expected to be something I’d associate with an RMR and certainly not as much with a DPP. Not working is a shortcoming... a HUGE shortcoming when doing things that involve more than a game.

That said, I have a DPP that should be arriving in the next day or so, a type 2 RMR to play with in addition to my current type 1, and I’m gonna be all over an ACRO P-1. Maybe I’ll change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Ooh... a challenge. Seeing as how my RMR has endured a ton of abuse and still runs and a bunch of guys I know who run DPPs have had them go and died, I’d consider actually working when expected to be something I’d associate with an RMR and certainly not as much with a DPP. Not working is a shortcoming... a HUGE shortcoming when doing things that involve more than a game.

That said, I have a DPP that should be arriving in the next day or so, a type 2 RMR to play with in addition to my current type 1, and I’m gonna be all over an ACRO P-1. Maybe I’ll change my mind.
    I think you are confusing the difference between performance and reliability. This underscores that the technology is not mature — right now you can pick between an RMR that lasts longer, but is harder to shoot with, or a DP Pro that allows you to shoot a higher score but breaks more frequently. My CO VP9s have DP Pros, and my carry VP9 has an RMR. For red dots to become as common on pistols as they are on carbines, the technology needs to keep advancing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I always run my RM06 two pushes down from the brightest setting and I don’t need to make any adjustments in bright or low/no-light situations to have a visible/useable dot.
    Which may work in your part of the country. In South Florida however (or AZ, TX, etc.) a dot can disappear on a sunny day.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Which may work in your part of the country. In South Florida however (or AZ, TX, etc.) a dot can disappear on a sunny day.
    We have bright sun and snow here on the reg. I’ve carried and trained in AZ, LV & FL. Still works.

User Tag List