Thread: JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5 belt loop setup for M9A1 compact

JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5 belt loop setup for M9A1 compact

Getting a 2.5 AIWB wedge from JM custom kydex for my soon te receive M9A1 compact. I'm stuck between the wide soft loops or standard setup. I like soft loops and will use them regardless but the ability to switch to a Kydex clip will be nice for certain occasions. I understand i CANNOT use this option with the wide setup as its dedicated soft loops only. Is there a big downside to going the standard clip/soft loops setup over the wide loops? I want the most comfortable option obviously.

I have wide loops on two of my 2.5s and narrower ones on my other one. I ALWAYS order wide now. I'm not saying that you may have other needs, but here's what I've found:

1. Soft loops are absolutely vital. I carried a pistol off duty pretty much always for 15 years and then took a Mike Pannone covert carry course. I found out that even the best clips do a great job of catching the shirt at the absolute worst frigin' time. While the good clips won't eject the holster, they'll surely screw up the draw if they catch. Now it's soft-loops all the way.

2. By spacing out the loops, larger guns are balanced much better and are significantly easier to carry. My first 2.5 holster was for a full-size 1911 and the wide spacing isn't that wide, so the weight of the grip tends to pull the wing and butt towards the belt. Not to big an issue for concealment, but it makes the draw a bit less consistent. My wide spaced holsters for my Beretta Centurion Tactical with Surefire XC1B and my M&P2.0 Compact both balance much better and the wide loop spacing keeps the draw very consistent. I've carried the CenTac for weeks and it's more comfortable than holsters with smaller guns and I'm carrying a WML and 18rds in the gun. I've ordered two more 2.5s with wide spacing and just got notification today that they're on their way. One of them is for an M9A1 Compact (so I can use the CenTac without the light or my 92F Compact), so I could give you some pictures/feedback in a few days. I have no doubt it will be good feedback.

3. I agree there are certain times when a really "easy on" holster is nice. Truly, I'd get another holster for those times. The wide 2.5 is such a good holster it's the only thing I'll buy now for concealed carry. I wouldn't compromise that for the potential to use a clip with all the negatives that go with it. The 2.5 with wide loops is the perfect blend of comfort, concealment, and performance for me.

Lastly... The Beretta picture thread better get some of that compact goodness when you get it. That model (in black) is on my wish list!

Quote Originally Posted by azerious View Post
    Getting a 2.5 AIWB wedge from JM custom kydex for my soon te receive M9A1 compact. I'm stuck between the wide soft loops or standard setup. I like soft loops and will use them regardless but the ability to switch to a Kydex clip will be nice for certain occasions. I understand i CANNOT use this option with the wide setup as its dedicated soft loops only. Is there a big downside to going the standard clip/soft loops setup over the wide loops? I want the most comfortable option obviously.
    azerious, this is all gold right here.
    I have wide loops on two of my 2.5s and narrower ones on my other one. I ALWAYS order wide now. I'm not saying that you may have other needs, but here's what I've found:

1. Soft loops are absolutely vital. I carried a pistol off duty pretty much always for 15 years and then took a Mike Pannone covert carry course. I found out that even the best clips do a great job of catching the shirt at the absolute worst frigin' time. While the good clips won't eject the holster, they'll surely screw up the draw if they catch. Now it's soft-loops all the way.

2. By spacing out the loops, larger guns are balanced much better and are significantly easier to carry. My first 2.5 holster was for a full-size 1911 and the wide spacing isn't that wide, so the weight of the grip tends to pull the wing and butt towards the belt. Not to big an issue for concealment, but it makes the draw a bit less consistent. My wide spaced holsters for my Beretta Centurion Tactical with Surefire XC1B and my M&P2.0 Compact both balance much better and the wide loop spacing keeps the draw very consistent. I've carried the CenTac for weeks and it's more comfortable than holsters with smaller guns and I'm carrying a WML and 18rds in the gun. I've ordered two more 2.5s with wide spacing and just got notification today that they're on their way. One of them is for an M9A1 Compact (so I can use the CenTac without the light or my 92F Compact), so I could give you some pictures/feedback in a few days. I have no doubt it will be good feedback.

3. I agree there are certain times when a really "easy on" holster is nice. Truly, I'd get another holster for those times. The wide 2.5 is such a good holster it's the only thing I'll buy now for concealed carry. I wouldn't compromise that for the potential to use a clip with all the negatives that go with it. The 2.5 with wide loops is the perfect blend of comfort, concealment, and performance for me.

Lastly... The Beretta picture thread better get some of that compact goodness when you get it. That model (in black) is on my wish list!

Especially the part about shirts catching on the clips!!! The security and ease of use that pull the dot loops provide is the only way to go for quick on/off holsters in my opinion. The 2.5 was initially conceived in the wide hole pattern because it does transfer the weight better and gives the holster a rounding effect with the sight channel side loop in the sight channel itself, and having the sight channel side loop buried in the sight channel makes that loop "recessed" which equals better belt line concealment. Plus, we have just added fixed soft loops to the belt loop options if you want to go that route. Go wide hole pattern, all day long!!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Fixed soft loops? I'm drawing a blank here. Anyone have picture? I tried searching online but couldn't find anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    azerious, this is all gold right here.

Especially the part about shirts catching on the clips!!! The security and ease of use that pull the dot loops provide is the only way to go for quick on/off holsters in my opinion. The 2.5 was initially conceived in the wide hole pattern because it does transfer the weight better and gives the holster a rounding effect with the sight channel side loop in the sight channel itself, and having the sight channel side loop buried in the sight channel makes that loop "recessed" which equals better belt line concealment. Plus, we have just added fixed soft loops to the belt loop options if you want to go that route. Go wide hole pattern, all day long!!

Awesome feedback! What is the difference between the fixed soft loops and regular pull the dot?

azerious, the pull the dot loops feature directional one way snaps that allow you to not have to thread the loops thru your belt when you put the holster on. The fixed soft loops do not have the snap feature and are screwed directly to your holster. You do have to thread your belt thru them to put the holster on. Thanks
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Attachment 27083

This is my carry rotation sans my MC Operator that's in my training holster right now.

The soft loop holster is my newest one and it is shaped different enough that it is more comfortable than all the others.

It is slower on and off and it's not tuckable but it's not slow to put on.

User Tag List