Thread: RFI: H&K MR762A1

RFI: H&K MR762A1

I don't see many of these around, but have developed an interest in them for the general purpose battle rifle role. Can anybody comment on their: durability? Ergonomics? Parts? After-sale service?

What would you have wished someone told you before you bought this rifle? Would you buy it again?

Lost of questions, guys. Thank you for your time.

Just to get the conversation started:

Great choice if you want a to-hell-and-back built gun that will likely shoot 1MOA (or better, sub MOA is common) and have a 15k-25k barrel life at minimum.

Bit heavy for a general purpose rifle, and the mags are insanely expensive. A better choice for a GP "battle rifle" would be an M&P10 weighing a full 2 pounds less and using affordable, commonly available PMAGs.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-06-2018 at 06:38 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I have one. Have fired a few hundred rounds through it. At 9.9lbs empty in my opinion it is too heavy for a general purpose battle rifle unless you have Paul Sharp like physical capabilities.

It does not have a chrome lined barrel or chamber. That may have been responsible for the only malfunction I had with the gun--a failure to extract with some 1960s vintage West German surplus ammo where the extractor failed to grasp the rim and the case became stuck in the chamber and needed a cleaning rod to knock it out. I have fired a wide variety of other ammo through the gun without any issues.

One thing I really hate is that you need to use a special allen wrench with a nipple to push the pivot pin and the takedown pin out to even pop off the upper for cleaning, and then you need to use the same tool to exert pressure one way while pushing the pin the other way. I had the takedown pin replaced with a regular one that does not require a tool to pop open to allow me remove the bolt and clean the chamber and barrel.

JodyH has indeed used it as a MBR. But he is a bigger, younger, and in better shape than I am.

Here is a thread where he discussed his MR762: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-H-amp-K-MR762

Since this thread he replaced the forend with a lighter weight one: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....770#post716770
    Last edited by Ed L; 06-06-2018 at 10:20 PM.

For what it's worth, and I know it likely ain't much, the guy that owns the shooting range I go to was a Navy SEAL and he said he carried the military version when he was in and loved it. Said he wanted to get the civilian model but I don't know how close the two are.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I can't really add much to my previous reviews (except round count) on the MR762.
    It's expensive as hell to buy and accessorize and starts out as a bit of a heavy pig.
    But it's also stereotypically Teutonic in it's reliability, durability and quality.
    I could have bought a small, newish car for what I have invested in my MR762.
    But i'd buy it all over again in a heartbeat.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

MR762 A1
    CIM Tactical M-Lock slim rail
    H&K slim buttstock
    Geissele trigger
    Magpul MOE grip
    Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6x optic

Attachment 26951
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    MR762 A1
    CIM Tactical M-Lock slim rail
    H&K slim buttstock
    Geissele trigger
    Magpul MOE grip
    Elcan Specter DR 1.5-6x optic

Attachment 26951
    That's one kick-ass rifle.

Not in the same league but I had a HK91 with the HK bipod and clamp-on scope mount before the Clinton ban but like an idiot I sold it.

I've had mine for a couple of years now. I have 25 mags for it, and right now it's just set up with irons with a blueforce gear sling. I'll tell you it definitely isn't light, but I plan to buy another one. It's definitely not the best rifle for a battle rifle sure. But you can use it in that role. Most of the weight is how forged everything is, the barrel nut is 4" + and the barrel thickness is aggressive for sure. I will say though, the thing is a tack driver. It loves the 168 FGMM and Black Hills 168gr SMK's I've shot through it. Before shoving off pier I took it out with my wife. We both shot it well at 200 yards. I went 19 for 19 (thought I put 20 in the mag.......oooops) on a medium sized steel target with troy irons. It's incredibly easy to shoot well.

I've run it fast standing, and it works just fine too.

Things I wish I knew going in:
    -It's hard to buy one, then run another gun.
    -The trigger is better than the MR556 by about 1lb. It's still kinda heavy, but smooth and very useable.
    -All of the rails except the MI rail pictured above are heavy as hell
    -The barrel twist prefers the 168's (1:12), but honestly it's same twist rate as the SCAR 17 and the harmonics are amazing on the MR762. The barrel is honestly amazing, I wish the twist rate was a touch faster, but I also haven't tried the 175's in it yet. It loves the 168's. Which in all honesty the max range I might be able to shoot around me here is 1000 yards and in tops. That's a special day at a special range too. Not my usual range with the 200 yard cap.

Would I buy it again?
    -Yes, and like I said above I'm getting another one.

Accuracy?
    -I can't wait to put a NF ATACR 4-16 or T5Xi 3-15 on it to see what I can do. But I've never done that well with a rifle before with the troy irons which have a thicker front sight.

Accessories.......
    -Uhhhhhhh, proprietary mag........Geissele makes an expensive trigger for it, not many rails........not many butt stock options........You're never getting a BAD lever on this thing.

In the end you definitely can use it as a battle rifle, but there's better options out there if you're looking for more speed/mag dumps. But if you're looking for precision, this is honestly what I would take all day long. It blows the KAC and LWRC out of the water, comes in at $3400-3500 so not cheap, but definitely not as expensive as some LWRC or KAC options. A little richer than the Daniel Defense model, but not by much. Most guys run it as a DMR, which I plan to do also. But @JodyH inspired me to possibly run a light weight version for faster things than a DMR. I don't know if I'd call it a battle rifle, but it'll be close to what the Army is trying to do with the new CSASS.

Lots of special forces dudes run the military variant also so, there's that. The quality, durability, service life, and use in harsh environments is already in place. Just has to fit your mission.

User Tag List