Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Once Upon A Time, In Normandy, A Shooting Incident Happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    A truly amazing generation!
    Yes, an amazing generation. One of my uncles was on a B-24 that was shot-down, and had to endure ill health as a POW. (I do not know whether he was a POW by D-Day.)

My future father-in-law was part of the organized AK resistance against the German occupation of Poland. A professional-level violinist, and a grandson of Antonin Dvorak, he earned favor among German officers by playing music, and raised silkworms to produce silk for German parachute lines, but behind the scenes, he helped hide at least one Jew, and forged documents used by resistance folks. Not being a communist, he had to go further underground after being “liberated,” and his hiding in Czechoslovakia, and subsequent escape, through the forests, to the American sector of Germany, is an example of truth being more amazing than fiction. (Being part Czech, he could hide, for a while, with an uncle.)

We will probably never know whether he was a spy, for Poland, before WW II started. My father-in-law spoke of traveling, with a companion, along the border in a collapsible decked canoe, that we may call a kayak today, just before the war. He said that “we were lucky we were not shot for spying.” When asked, well, what were you doing, he would grin, say, “spying,” then laugh, and change the subject.
    Last edited by Rex G; 06-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    While at work today (in New England), I saw a WWII veteran who (I've been told) landed in Normandy 74 years ago. He was just driving by, but I wish I could have told him that I'm grateful.

Site Supporter
    My grandfathers division entered Normandy on June 8.

I can't imagine the courage it took to jump out of those landing craft into a shit storm of bullets. I've had occasion to meet a handful of guys that were there that day, and am grateful for it.

We have an acquaintance who is a Belgian national who is outspokenly anti-gun. I have so far avoided mentioning how things went in her country until a bunch of Americans with rifle showed up. I should be doubly sure to avoid her today.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

My great Uncle 2nd Lt Arthur Price was killed in action 10th July 1943 in Saint-Didier-des-Bois. He was shot down during an aerial combat as the bombardier of a B-17 #42-30105, 95th BG.

Freedom don’t come free.

Think this is a good place for The Niland Brothers. If you think you have never heard of them think again and google Niland Brothers Hero's Of D-Day

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I had three uncles that landed at Omaha Beach. All three won the Bronze Star, were wounded and made it back alive.
    US Navy Veteran
    1961-1965

My great Uncle Ronnie was on a tank destroyer in Patton’s 3rd Army during the drive across Europe. He was wounded several times and won the Bronze and Silver Star IIRC. My Dad said he would never talk about what he did or saw. The most he ever said was when my Dad asked him what if felt like being wounded. He said one time when he was up in the turret ring when he was hit in the hand it felt like being hit with a sledgehammer. I wish I’d had a chance to talk to him about it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Watched The Longest Day last night (as I have almost every year on 6/06) with my 22 year old daughter.

User Tag List