Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: The Specialized Clothing Issue Always Seems To Crop Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This is so scandalously, torridly off- topic, but: WTF is with Kuhl’s color skews? I swear to God that I’ve tried to buy different colors, but they all end up... more or less OD Glock color. "Dark Khaki?" OD... "Forged Iron?" OD... "Espresso?" Effing OD... two of those colors are so close that even my wife thinks they’re the same side-by-side. Who in the hell has ever seen a shot of espresso that’s goose shit green? Total bunk. Aside from "Sandstone" and "pirate black" it’s all OD. Everyone thinks I wear the same army pants at work all week. Thanks a lot Kuhl.
    LL Bean does the same. Black Cherry, Port and some other color the name of which I forget are all exactly the same. Cracks me up.

Then again, men only need a few colors...black (including charcoal), khaki, coyote, and some kind of vaguely military green between fatigues and ranger green.

The other colors are for when you need to really get gussied up for company.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Still Like The Dickies Work Shirt

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I mentioned this upthread or elsewhere, the Dickies work shirts sure do cover up a lotta gun and are cheap. They fit loose enough they will fit over whatever you are wearing anyway. They work great over the foundation garments preferred by domestic violence perpetrators, as seen on TV.

They make a variety of colors, including some two-tone that will make you they greyest gray man at the bowling alley.

And the other day I somehow tripped over a temporary special of the black ones linked above, that were only $10 in a pack of two. I figure if I have some extras they can stay in the truck for those days when I leave the house wearing something that is too warm once the day warms up, but I still need to cover up a gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post

I think I mentioned this upthread or elsewhere, the Dickies work shirts sure do cover up a lotta gun and are cheap. They fit loose enough they will fit over whatever you are wearing anyway. They work great over the foundation garments preferred by domestic violence perpetrators, as seen on TV.

They make a variety of colors, including some two-tone that will make you they greyest gray man at the bowling alley.

And the other day I somehow tripped over a temporary special of the black ones linked above, that were only $10 in a pack of two. I figure if I have some extras they can stay in the truck for those days when I leave the house wearing something that is too warm once the day warms up, but I still need to cover up a gun.
    I make it a habit to cover up the patches on my security uniform on my way to and from work. Dickies are perfect for that. Especially since the blue Dickies match the color of my uniform shirt

My favorite cover garment for three seasons is the a grey vest from Concealed Carry Clothiers - this one: https://www.concealedcarry.com/produ...cealment-vest/ - in grey.

Tom Givens suggested that one here on P-F and I bought it and use it probably 5 or 6 times a week. If I've ever been "made" while carrying under it, it's unknown to me. And frankly, I don't care. I'm married, professionally employed, and I don't care what people think of my fashion choices as long as they don't stand out. I'm also one of those people who has a body-type that works well with vests such that they don't scream "GUN!" or "NERD!" (well probably).

Which I guess brings me to thought about tacticool clothing - if no one ever bothers you about your clothing - were you really "made" in the first place? Does it matter? Like the tree falling the woods when no one is there, if no one is there to observe it and comment on it, does it really exist?

I liked Tom's comment on the vest above, he said the few times he has needed to present a firearm while carrying underneath it, the perpetrators seemed quite surprised at the appearance of a gun. If it's not a bullet proof vest, I doubt most criminals know the difference. They aren't watching NCIS folks...

This does remind me, on Saturday the wife and I were exploring neighborhoods here in Chicago and drove through a "transitional" one. I observed a young gentleman between 20-25, walking down the street with two pitbulls on chain leashes, wearing a bullet proof vest. This gave me a lot of information in a single observational snippet and confirmed my suspicion that this not the right kind of transitional neighborhood for us to live in. We drove on. First time I can recall in 15 years seeing someone wearing a vest that drew my attention and made me draw the conclusion, "That guy is probably carrying a gun."

We use these as company shirts that I have embroidered with our company logo. My guys love them un-tucked and they are great at covering even an OWB pistol. They last a long time as well.

Banned
    My kitchen is being remodeled this week. I was sitting in my living room this afternoon talking to my wife and I looked over in the kitchen and this little Mexican girl who's doing the remodel is walking around my kitchen in 5.11 Tac pants. (FWIW they look a hell of a lot better on her than they do on me.)

I pointed them out to my wife and then asked if my wife thought she was carrying a gun.

About an hour later the boss came in and they start talking about going to get burritos and tequila. So maybe she was.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I have started wearing O'Neill hybrid shorts as my go-to summer uniform. I get in and out of boats constantly so I thought the fast dry would be useful.

But they also happen to have good belt loops, a nice balance of stretch/drape, and they are even more normal looking than cargo shorts. They get you away from the 5.11 look, also. You pair them up with an "I go to the beach" kind of t-shirt and a button up overshirt and you aren't even at the the "I don't want to look like a gun carrier" look. You look super, super normal.

Site Supporter

My retirement job is working in a bike shop and the brand we sell is Specialized. Specialized has black Dickies workshirts embroidered with their logo which I wear open over the shop's tee shirts on workdays. They do a great job of covering the PX4. Also, WalMart sells Dickies and they make great geezer camo.

Banned
    The kitchen is done and the Tequila drinking operator (who has probably forgot more than I will ever know about covert operations in a foreign country) is gone. The kitchen looks nice though

I've thought & reflected more on this. I tend to think that casual observers either don't notice the somewhat tactical clothing or, if they do notice it as a "thing" they likely consider it apparel of those who tend to be more outdoorsy and/or 'crunchy' more than they associate it with carrying.

On the other hand, I'd bet money that one is more noticeable when he sports such clothing and also rocks a monster Operator Beard.

User Tag List