Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The Specialized Clothing Issue Always Seems To Crop Up.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    No, I took off my obvious metal. Then I went into the room and the operator said any metal in your shoes and it came to me that they had the tips. Oops.

Might have been exciting. Ever since I read two cases where:

1. The MRI fired some officers' 1911
    2. They tested the MRI during construction of a hospital and there was a Bobcat on the other side of the wall from the installation. When they turned it in, it came through the wall and squished someone. IIRC, the fireman had to cut power cables on floors below to free him. Might be a tall though.
    IIRC a kid was stuck in the head with an unsecured oxygen bottle and killed some time back. The way that magnetic attaaction strength increases with decreased distance, I wouldn't think someone would get stuck, more like smashed into pulp.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by mongooseman View Post
    I think that the post about people seeing what they look for is spot on. I've picked up on people in public wearing the garb of our tribe, especially the low key tac pants like Vertx, hiking shoes/boots, polos or patterned shirts and G-Shok style watches. I exchanged nods with a guy in WalMart as we made each other at about the same time. We looked like we bought stuff from the same rack in the same store.

The orange croc thing is hilarious to me! I was sent to Pascagoula, Miss after Katrina and the department issued us a goody bag with a brand new set of orange jail shoes. I love em, my wife hates them, to the point that they disappear after a few months and I'll but a brand new pair from the jail for about three bucks. One of our regulars saw me in a grocery store and yells from the opposite corner of the store "Officer Walton why you wearing jail flip flops?!"
    As I sit here at home in my Vertx khackis, black martial arts T-shirt, Keene's sandals and poorly concealed but comfy OWB rig I find this highly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I wore my 5.11 pants into Book People, Whole Foods and GT Distributors in Austin this weekend. No one panicked. Had a nice conversation with clerks in each store. Books, cheese, pistol carbines. The shoes were were slip on Rockport steel toed brown ones. Why steel toes - nice looking and on sale. However, don't forget not to wear them through TSA or the MRI - ask me how I know.
    To be fair it was Austin, I doubt any of them know what 5.11 is outside of Levi 511’s.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    To be fair it was Austin, I doubt any of them know what 5.11 is outside of Levi 511’s.
    The GT people would.

Site Supporter
    I think that many people besides us might find 511 pants to be comfortable and buy them. Because such is so commonplace, then it all blends. I wear some of it when hunting and fishing because its comfortable and roomy. In public when knocking around I try to dress like other old guys. I can spot an ex convict from across the street. If a man or woman has done hard time, I can pick up on mannerisms and expression(affect). I can spot an off duty cop with ease. Over and over again. I an ocd about printing. I never clip a stainless knife to my pants. I do carry a black Spyderco in my waistband. It's a handy knife and is more utility tool than weapon. I wear beat up 20 year old Danners that I keep sending back. I look like an old dude with corrective shoes. In a way they are corrective shoes because they are kind to my arthritic feet.

Bear with me for slight thread drift on how we dress. For many years I traveled back and forth between Texas and Mississippi when checking on my parents. I would always begin the trip as a freshly showered, clean shaven person wearing clean clothes. My vehicle would be clean. I presented myself as a responsible person to any law enforcement officer or anybody else that I encountered. My cased 870 was clearly visible. No problem. We, you and I, are for the most part law abiding folks. As long as that is our mindset, then what we wear is not terribly important as long as we are presentable and sort of blend with the surroundings. And then few notice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Awww, man. I can't even wear my Merrell's any more?
    I had no idea about the Merrills. Been wearing them for years due to many Boy Scout camping/backpacking outings...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    The reason I started this thread I'd because it comes up a couple of times a year on every single firearms forum I read usually combined with a warning not to put NRA/Gasden Flag sticker on your car. If it's considered inappropriate please accept my apologies and delete it.

Those of you who are police, do you pay that much attention to people's fashion choices? Is it really something you even focus on?
    Why would I, as a Texas LEO, “focus on” clothing associated with a wholesome, legitimate activity?
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-17-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Why would I, as a Texas LEO, “focus on” clothing associated with a wholesome, legitimate activity?
    I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I’m no LEO, but seing a civvie in typical muted tac-attire seems worthy of minor note, but not enough to get excited about or even all that interested in unless behavior warrants it.

I like to see if I can spot printing, but that’s usually the extent of it.

As a youngster I traveled the U.S. a lot. In the military I traveled internationally. I'm also lazy. And like most folks I don't like change.

From San Diego, Washington state, Memphis, Virginia to D.C. looking like Joe the plumber/construction worker fits. No one wants to strike up a conversation about a toilet. No one hates you for being blue collar, etc.

Internationally I found I could not blend in, so it was more about not being from the U.S. Western Canada is safe, usually Australia works if you can pull off the accent. Buy Cubavera long-sleeved shirts and generic shoes, good to go anywhere.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

User Tag List