Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: American Rifleman: Testing the 38 Special

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    In my post above, my reloading practice that I now condemn was 5.5 Unique and a 160 grain bullet. I see you specified a 145 gr bullet. Please be aware that I'm not criticizing but merely sharing information.
    Here's a bit of data I found on John Taffin's website:

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Taffin for decades has been famous as a handgun authority, and as an humble hobbyist I hesitate to point out observations that might contradict him. First, I noticed that the link presents data with one load of 6.0 grs Unique and Lyman's 358429 bullet. Using no. 2 alloy, this bullet weighs 173 grains. Mr. Taffin classifies it as +P. I think that it has 357 mag pressure. It won't blow up a modern K frame. But remember that .38 Spl ammo loaded this hot can mistakenly be fired in small frame or even older K frames like those not rated +P. 50 years ago manuals were much less conservative than today's offerings. The same is true for data suggested by gun writers. Elmer Keith at one time recommended the Lyman 358429 bullet and 8.0 grs Unique in .38 cases when used in heavy frame revolvers. Today you would be hard pressed to find the same data used in.357 mag cases. Taffin's 158 grn load and 5.5 Unique is presented as standard pressure. My suggestion is to use Taffin data in .357 mag handguns and enjoy proven ammo.
    Last edited by willie; 06-20-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Here's a bit of Unique data from the Alliant website.

I learned long ago that reloading data without proper (modern) pressure testing is just a gesstimation, and many times a pretty poor one. No matter from whom the data originates.

Site Supporter
    ...the link presents data with one load of 6.0 grs Unique and Lyman's 358429 bullet. Using no. 2 alloy, this bullet weighs 173 grains. Mr. Taffin classifies it as +P. I think that it has 357 mag pressure.
    I've loaded this recipe and shot it in my M13-2. Recoil is in the ballpark of .357 Mag 158-grain factory loads. I store it in boxes labeled "38-44" so I don't shoot it in my .38s. I'll probably reserve it for my M28-2.

Here's Alliant's 38 +P data for Unique:

Just for the heck of it I ordered 100 of these today. I'll see if I can't more or less duplicate the FBI load.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=60

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Just for the heck of it I ordered 100 of these today. I'll see if I can't more or less duplicate the FBI load.

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...products_id=60
    Tokarev, have you considered casting your own bullets? You have become our resident lead bullet researcher and must consider casting for many reasons. Control of bullet hardness and thus expansion is one. Many others exist. I'll happily mentor you.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Tokarev, have you considered casting your own?
    I used to cast bullets all the time although I haven't done so in probably twenty-five years. It is hot, messy and dangerous.

I don't normally shoot a bunch of cast anymore; having found plated bullets to usually be a better option when looking at time, effort, safety and cost.

My interest in cast bullets now is really more for the curiosity of how they might work in the self-defense realm and I doubt I'll do much more with them once I have a few loads tested. Even if I were to come up with a bullet/load that works well I probably wouldn't shoot enough of them to warrant getting set back up to cast.

This all does, however, make me wonder about a lead hollow point and some of the modern coatings. I wonder if I can convince Acme, Missouri, bluebullets or somebody into either making a coated bullet or coating someone else's bullet for me. A soft lead bullet with a durable protective coating might work well.

Who said they miss Nyclads?

User Tag List