Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: SICARIO II Day of the Soldado

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    He'll always be "Joker"
    Isn’t he running a lab in Indiana these days?
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Well, that was pretty average.

Not a bad movie, but it lacked the gritty sense of claustrophobic tension that made the first movie effective. If this is the second of a planned trilogy the lack of focus is understandable, since the second of three is always more filler than anything else. The plot was really all over the place and lacked focus, which didn't help. It was as if they couldn't decide what kind of movie it was going to be, an all too common thing in Hollywood. Benicio Del Torro and Josh Brolin were a bit misused in this one. Del Torro's character didn't have the sense of painful vengeance that seemed to inhabit him the first time around. The character just seemed to be moving through the plotline because the script told him to. Giving Brolins character some kind of moral compass he completely lacked in the first movie totally changed the tone and not for the better.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-29-2018 at 05:11 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I saw it this afternoon. I don't understand why there is disappointment with the flick. Yes, there are holes in the times/distances covered by the characters. Yes there are issues with structure and plot development but as a summer adventure shoot 'em up flick it really satisfies. The U.S. trying to start a war between the cartels was a pretty cool story line and I was able to suspend my disbelieve enough to enjoy the action.
    Sets up for a third Sicario flick that I will be ready to enjoy next time. Could it have been better? Certainly but....if you are wanting lots of deep meaning, subtly and character examination to go with your violent shoot 'em ups you can always re-watch No Country for Old Men.
    Instagram @JuryTrialJedi

Quote Originally Posted by Mobettadefense View Post
    ...but....if you are wanting lots of deep meaning, subtly and character examination to go with your violent shoot 'em ups you can always re-watch No Country for Old Men.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Well, that was pretty average...Giving Brolins character some kind of moral compass he completely lacked in the first movie totally changed the tone and not for the better.
    I didn't perceive any lack of a moral compass in the first movie, in fact, he was mission focused and seemed committed to doing the right thing (winning)...no matter what.

So would you recommend seeing part 2 or is it a waste of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Mobettadefense View Post
    I saw it this afternoon. I don't understand why there is disappointment with the flick.
    Unrealistic character choices. Because the overall story is weaksauce, characters do unrealistic things to drive the plot.
    No clear protagonist.
    Contrived coincidences in said weaksauce story.
    Caricature characters- this is what really sticks ,because the first Sicario takes time to build charaters,even the supporting players. Here they just fill out a stereotype. May as well be a totally different Matt and Alejandro in this movie then in the first.Ironically the only consistent character between the two movies was Jeffery Donovan’s role.

I could keep going,but I’ll end my critiques here. This is a “watch once to check the box” movie at best.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I didn't perceive any lack of a moral compass in the first movie, in fact, he was mission focused and seemed committed to doing the right thing (winning)...no matter what.

So would you recommend seeing part 2 or is it a waste of money?

No, I wouldn't call it a waste of money because it isn't a bad movie. It just lacks the focus and intensity of the original. If you thought the laser like focus of Brolins character was cool in the first movie, you won't like the characters portrayal in the second. Personally, I didn't find his character objectionable in the first movie. The character obviously put mission objectives above anything else, including morals and ethics which he found to be an encumbrance. That takes a dive in the second movie without any real set up or development to explain it. The character I found objectionable in the first movie was Emily Blunts. The characters wide eyed Mary Sue attitude was a turn off. The gun handling is pretty decent (I'll give Del Torro a pass on bump firing a Beretta 92 'cause 92s are sexy.) and Sexy Steves reaction when he takes a hit during one shootout is the high point of the movie. A movie is a medium by which to tell a story. This one just didn't tell it as well as the first, but I've seen far worse.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-29-2018 at 10:19 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

My wife surprisingly enjoyed the movie. My daughter had been waiting 6 months to see it, she liked the score. I would have been fine with two movies, did not appreciate a possible setup for a third.

Saw it yesterday. Not bad. Not as good as the first.

Rosco

Thanks Trooper for the breakdown.

I'm kinda bummed now...sounds like they showed most of the best parts in the trailers. Guess I'll stay home and watch the old stand-by...Black Rain.
    Last edited by Redhat; 06-30-2018 at 09:32 AM.

User Tag List