Thread: SP-101 327 Federal Magnum Range Report

SP-101 327 Federal Magnum Range Report

As mentioned in another thread, a short while ago I noticed a Ruger SP-101 in .327 Federal Magnum on consignment at a local gun store. It had been on the shelf for over 60 days so the owner was willing to deal, enough so that curiosity won out. I picked it up this afternoon and took it to the range tonight.

This is not the current model, it's the one from the first release several years ago. The main difference is that the earlier 3-inch version has a windage adjustable black with white outline rear sight, while the recent re-release has a fixed trough for a rear sight. There's also a slight difference in the grips, but mine had a Hogue grip on it instead of the original factory one. I like these better, I'm pretty finicky about revolver grips and this one fits my hand better than most.

Name:  IMG_1381.jpg
Views: 1973
Size:  33.3 KB

First impressions: It's a Ruger, it's solid, in this case 28 ounces solid. It balances well, the sights are easy to see. The trigger pull, both DA and SA, is a little on the heavy side. More on that later. The previous owner told the LGS guy that only 50 rounds had been through this particular revolver, not sure I buy that but I could believe several hundred, wear is fairly minimal and mostly limited to a couple of minor cosmetic scuffs. In this caliber it of course holds six rounds instead of the usual five. One of the things that convinced me to take a chance is the ability to fire five different loads: 327 Federal Magnum, 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W Long, 32 S&W, and allegedly 32 acp which is semi-rimmed.

I was able to find a few loads on local shelves, the nearby Sportsmans Warehouse had 100 gr American Eagle soft point, at around 1400 fps from a three inch barrel; and a 98 gr Aguila S&W Long load at a leisurely approx 758 fps. A smaller local store had a few boxes of Speer Gold Dot 115 gr in 327 FM, which reportedly clocks 1356 fps out of a three-inch SP-101. So I started with those three.

The Aguila 32 S&W Long were extremely soft shooting, in a heavy for size revolver barely more recoil than 22 LR. They were also smoky and the soft lead bullets were less than elegantly formed. Accuracy (two hand standing/unsupported) was about 3.5 inches and every group had at least one flyer to open up what otherwise would have been more like a 2.25 inch group. About what I'd expect for $21/box of 50 retail, although they were fun to shoot. POI was about an inch high.

The American Eagle 327 load had a much stouter recoil, not 357 level but for sure you know it's there; and I couldn't consistently get it to group under about three inches, usually more like 3.5 inches with POI just a hair high. I had a couple of boxes of this load and at $27 per box of 50 I was willing to shoot some of it a little faster, that's going to take a little practice but the problem is that heavy trigger, the sights were settling back in place pretty well although the gestalt of it is a little different than I'm used to, different recoil pulse an I think it will flow better after a few more range trips. These groups mostly stayed inside six inches with a few fliers an inch or two beyond that and tended to pull right a little.

I only shot one cylinder of Gold Dots, only had one box of 20 at something north of $1 per round, this one was the star performer though. The group measured 1.73 inches and again hitting about an inch high and dead center. Recoil felt similar to the previous load but perhaps not quite as sharp.

Given the wide range of velocities, I was very surprised there wasn't a lot more spread in POI among the three loads.

Overall, I'm pretty happy so far. It's not as easy to shoot for accuracy as my older K-frames, and I put that mostly on the heavy trigger. Not sure how much or if that will lighten up with dry fire, swapping springs may be an option since I don't really plan to carry this one at least in town, maybe a little in the woods. We'll see.

Ammo: While it's around, variety is limited and most of the time there are just a few boxes on any given shelf. The LGS is going to order a couple boxes of the Buffalo Bore 130 gr hardcast (1400 fps approx) which is the closest thing to a bear round I've heard about so far. So I'm thinking about ordering some reloading dies and some 32 H&R magnum brass and some DEWC and SWC bullets and working up a range load.
    Last edited by Salamander; 06-05-2018 at 01:18 AM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Those Gold Dots are hen’s teeth. Don’t think they’ve made the bullet in several years.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Ammo in general is a limiting factor. It's better now than it was a few years ago, but there are still relatively few choices out there and they aren't always available in quantity.

A few more thoughts on this revolver and caliber combination: I'm seeing it as a plinker and range toy and curiosity item and wanted to solidify those thoughts a little. Here's where I'm at so far:

Context is everything. My current carry rotation is a pair of 9mm LEM HKs (P2000 and P2000sk) and a J-frame, an M&P 340. The P2000 does multiple tasks, in the backcountry I just swap out the Gold Dots for a mag of xtreme penetrator, nothing meaner than black bear here. The J-frame is for pocket carry when for any of various reasons it's less practical to carry anything bigger and heavier.

Going from the HKs to an SP-101, I end up with an extra four ounces of weight and with six rounds instead of 10+1 (It's California), and slower reloads, and not enough difference in size to matter. And the SP-101 isn't a viable alternative for the pocket carry role of a 13 oz J-frame. Unless I travel to someplace with bigger predators, there isn't much the current rotation can't handle.

So if I use logic, it means I'm staying with my current rotation. Of course there are good reasons to carry a revolver that go beyond logic, and in fact I do sometimes carry a K-frame in 357 in the backcountry just because... at least I get a slight net gain in velocity and bullet weight for the extra weight on the belt and reduced capacity, plus pre-lock S&W can be its own reason. No easy way to explain that but most everyone in this section of the forum understands so I don't really need to explain.

Then there's the ammo angle. Generally, I'm an early adopter... but not for defensive weapons. Maybe 327 works, I don't know. Problem is, there's very little good data. Plenty of guys on the internet shooting meat picked up at the butcher, or clear gel, or water jugs, or just saying it's awesome because they just know or they read it on the internet. But not much of a street record, the hunting record I've found is all on varmints and relatively small stuff (apparently put this combo in certain hands and ground squirrels and rabbits and even coyotes should be very afraid). If somebody with cred steps up, fine. Until then I'd rather not be the test case.

I'm willing to shoot something at the range or even out in the National Forest for no other reason that it is fun, and that's OK. Best guess is I'll probably use the lighter calibers in this revolver more than anything else, especially once I get set up to load 32 SWL or 32 H&R.

I guess the best way to sum it up is that a 327 SP-101 is cool and fun and I will enjoy it for certain things. In a pinch, it can do a whole lot of things fairly well because of that ability to use five different types of .32 caliber ammo. If I had nothing else available, I'd be OK using it for a lot of those things. If I see solid data based in the real world or on rigorous testing then I may reconsider someday. But for now and with the existing uncertainty, I have other revolvers and pistols that I know do some of those things really well, and for which quality ammo is readily available in quantity.

BTW, I compared the SP-101 trigger side by side with my GP-100 Match Champion, and the MC is much lighter. My S&W M19-3 and M19-5 are both lighter and smoother.

I may lighten that trigger pull and work up some good loads and use it at the range, where it's actually kind of nice to sometimes not be like everybody else with common calibers. It may be a good choice when I need to dispatch a varmint and am not in high-density bear country.

ETA: I should say that the SP-101 is a cool revolver, and if I ever stumble on one in 38/357 at the price I got this one at I'd probably grab another one.
    Last edited by Salamander; 06-06-2018 at 12:23 AM.

I'm curious about the 75gr Barnes load from Double Tap. It is supposed to churn out 1,600 fps from a 6" barrel.

From my own experiments with an 80gr Barnes bullet in a 9mm, it isn't feasible to get 12" of penetration even at high velocity. I believe the bullet simply lacks the mass to make it more than about 10" in gel. Will the 327 have the same problem or will the slightly smaller diameter mean less surface area and deeper penetration?

There is also a 32 H&R Mag load using a 65gr Barnes. Hornady is loading an 80gr Critical Dedense. These might be good for those who are recoil sensitive.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 08-01-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Site Supporter
    I shot my SW 632 SS 3 inch comp'ed revolver in a IDPA match a few weeks. Just for anecdotal info, Fiocchi 32 SW long would not knock down a steel popper. Nor would the Federal 32 HR 85 gr magnum. The latter would send a steel plate flying though. I didn't shoot 327's though. They do have a kick from that gun.

Here's mine.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Those Gold Dots are hen’s teeth. Don’t think they’ve made the bullet in several years.
    The only Gold Dot shown on Speer's website is the 100gr load.

No Gold Dot bullets appear to be available as components either. At least none are currently listed on Speer's website.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Not available. But used to be.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...int-box-of-100

Hence "hen's teeth."
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Not available. But used to be.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...int-box-of-100

Hence "hen's teeth."
    Yeah I didn't mean to come across as not believing you. Just commenting on how there aren't many options available.

User Tag List