Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA President threatens to ban Ben Stoeger

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So am I the only one that's hearing that Foley went off the rails, so they are mandating a EVERYONE go through a bunch of political correctness training? I bet they are all just thrilled at that! As a member I think there are better things to spend our dues on too. What a load of tripe.
    It's ok. The training will be held in Vegas or the Bahamas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    It's ok. The training will be held in Vegas or the Bahamas.
    Only for Board Members. Regular USPSA members will receive training at the beginning of all matches in July.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

The Machiavellian part of me thinks the BoD response is perfect. Here is my thinking for what it is worth.

1) The teachable moment requires that all USPSA members attend training.

2) That training will surely mention "hate" language, especially terms usually directed at people of different sexual orientations, is not allowed for any USPSA member.

3) The Doodie forum will be itself.

4) Both forum members and Mr. Stoeger will be penalized. Members for using "hate" language on the forum, and Mr. Stoeger for hosting the hateful comments.

5) Work on the next step of the takeover of the world.

I think the BOD response is lacking. It seems to address the "potentially offensive language" used more than the President's incorrect use of authority. I also think that those who are paying USPSA members have a right to know what actions are being taken by the BOD.

Transparency seems lacking in USPSA. That pretty much concretes that while I will inevitably become a USPSA shooter I'll never be more. Why invest time and effort becoming an RO, MD, or anything else if the organization isnt willing to be open and honest? I realize I'm not yet a member, but certainly this has to discourage further participation?

-Cory

I'll stand with Foley on this.

He's exceeded my expectations as President. Aside from the local USPSA volunteers, the President does the most for making my monthly match a reality. Not the critics. Its easy to point out the failure of those doing the work, tougher to actually do the work.

Don't see why anyone of accomplishment would ever take the President's position if BOD and members don't have your back.

Actions carry so much more weight with me than words. I am interested in what happens going forward, regardless of what is or is not sad now.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Why invest time and effort becoming an RO, MD, or anything else if the organization isnt willing to be open and honest? I realize I'm not yet a member, but certainly this has to discourage further participation?
    While I understand your disgust for the national level leadership, if you're competing on the local level I am certain that most of the shooters appreciate the work put in by their club level volunteers. Without those people, many matches wouldn't happen, or would likely cost way more than they do today. I would not write off helping at that level to help your club's growth.
    Last edited by scw2; 06-07-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Interesting take. Its not a bad thing to remind officers and members not to use bad language at matches and events.

Officers of USPSA should also have a reminder of how to behave while on the job.

It’s disturbing to think that the USPSA BoD would try to restrict what members say outside of official USPSA events, and on social media. I hope this isn’t the direction it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Machiavellian part of me thinks the BoD response is perfect. Here is my thinking for what it is worth.

1) The teachable moment requires that all USPSA members attend training.

2) That training will surely mention "hate" language, especially terms usually directed at people of different sexual orientations, is not allowed for any USPSA member.

3) The Doodie forum will be itself.

4) Both forum members and Mr. Stoeger will be penalized. Members for using "hate" language on the forum, and Mr. Stoeger for hosting the hateful comments.

5) Work on the next step of the takeover of the world.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    While it's a good thing to remind competitors of proper sportsmanship, I don't see anything in the BoD's statement about training for USPSA members in regards to "sensitivity", etc. Can someone point me to that? Looks like they're talking about officers and employees. Gotta say...if they mean members, too, that'll likely end my involvement in USPSA. I have had incalculable amounts of that shoved down my throat at work for the last 27 years. I don't need it in my hobby pursuits, and I pretty much won't be involved if it's the case.

Site Supporter
    I started shooting USPSA in 1986. I shot for practice and fun. I focused on the "fun" portion and refused to get drug into the politics and the local club level and specifically avoided the drama at the regional and national levels. Saw many changes in USPSA during that period - the beginning of compensated pistols, then hi-caps, then RDS. I had plenty of stress at work, National Guard, plus wife and kids - I focused on the "fun" side of USPSA. I used to shoot at least one match per weekend and tried to shoot State and Area matches. Never wanted to try the Nationals. One day, I realized that I was spending a phenomenal amount of time to shoot 4 or more stages measured in seconds - decided I could shoot more for less time and less cost not competing and stopped.

In the 1980s in the Dallas TX area, we had an extremely talented shooter who successfully tried to irritate every other USPSA competitor in the region. Final straw was he started insulting and hitting on some of the other competitors wives - he was first and only person I ever heard of that was formally and permanently banned from USPSA.

User Tag List