Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: USPSA President threatens to ban Ben Stoeger

I keep remembering that clip from the Hitler in the bunker movie where he is ranting and people like to create their own subtitles for the narrative of something he is saying...sort of the animated meme, I predict Foley gets one of those soon...

At least Bill Wilson was the actual private owner of the shooting organization when he went off like a dictator a few times. Foley has no such status, I am wondering if bylaws allow the board to remove him if he does not resign. I plan a carefully worded letter to my Area 6 rep tonight requesting they pressure him to leave.

Does the President have the power to ban someone without board approval?

Shit like this is why I hate most "gun" people.

I came in here because I thought maybe Stoeger didn't stand for the pledge of allegiance or something

All of it is really sad. As someone who is trying to keep the troops in line, Foley is in a tough position, but social media is not the place to air grievances or use inflammatory language. His third mistake was to threaten or carry out a ban/DQ. That is a little over the top in my opinion.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

While I don't like what was put on display here, I honestly cannot say that I'm all that surprised.

The original social media post by Mr. Berry probably could have been worded a bit better (the one that Foley took exception to). Foley definitely should have handled every single bit of his part of this better than he did. You simply cannot post things like that nor act like that when you are the president of an organization like this. As for Stoeger, I'm not going to even pretend to know all of the stuff that may be lurking in the background there. I met him once at a level 2 some years ago. Kinda said hello and all that, brief exchange. Seemed like an alright guy to me. I can also imagine that some of the stuff he's put online over the years has probably worn a bit thin in some circles.

In the end, it seems that no one was banned from competition. Good. As for Foley, I'm on the fence. If this was a one off temper tantrum, then I go to my philosophy that we all deserve forgiveness for one good fuck up as long as we learn from it. If, on the other hand, this is part of a larger pattern that is only now becoming public, then I think he needs to go. Either way, I doubt he gets re-elected once his term is up, assuming he finishes the term.

Foley has done a bunch of good stuff at USPSA — cleaned house at HQ, upgraded the website, made classifications update weekly, started working on updating hit factors, introduced PCC (gasp), brought 140mm mags to CO, and probably a lot more good stuff I have forgotten. However, the emotional online banning threat is to me like having a dog that bites the neighbor’s kid.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is all over with, Foley posted an official apology, I believe. Free free to discuss Doodie and Stoeger here, we don't care.
    Not by a long shot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I read the thread on doodie. I think alot of good stuff was brought up there, albeit without much decorum.

I think @nwhpfan was one of many members who asked on the facebook post for Foley's statement to have USPSA present the issues for members to evaluate. Folks reasonably asked for more information from the organization and were ignored, or had comments deleted.

I look forward to becoming a USPSA member, I'm not one yet. But if USPSA ever hopes to grow beyond a niche it needs to change.

Holding the organizations leadership publicly accountable for their actions related to the organization is not out of line. You may not like the person who informs the members whats happening but that doesnt make them wrong. Threatening suspensions, bans, and other penalties against members for disageeing with leadership or for making a joke you dont like on social media is a sure way to not gain members.

The language Foley used doesnt personally bother me. I've used all that and more. But it isnt how a large organizations president should act. Like it or not, the standard of conduct is different for them.

Should Foley lose his job? Not my call. I'm in no position to advocate eitherway. I think his term wont result in reelection. I understand those calling for resignation and those saying its a shame to loose a full time leader who has accomplished alot.

The whole thing makes USPSA look petty.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 06-05-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post

The whole thing makes USPSA look petty.

-Cory
    I couldn't agree more with this

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Mature and to-the-point responses?

Your Honor, I Object! -GL
    On Bookface and here? Yes. Other places, we know you are just being your general self...

____

So, I followed with great interest as I watched this break on Stoeger’s IG and then over on Doodie (where I am not a member just an observer).

I don’t have much of a horse in this fight. Having shot 0 USPSA matches in the last decade. But I’m in process of gearing back up and prepping to start club level matches this fall, for the first time in about 10-years.

None-the-less, what I saw over the weekend was insane. I’ve served as a board member and officer for multiple professional societies now. While planning a science conference isn’t quite like planning a shooting match, there is a lot of politics and management involved in both. In all cases, it is your responsibility as the representative of your Org to maintain your decorum at all times. You can -never- get mad in public, ever. You must, absolutely remain professional at all times. If you have an issue with someone - you solve it behind closed doors, in private, between as few parties as possible. Professionalism dictates apologizing, even when you are right. It means placing the Org ahead of your ego, always, without fail, everytime.

Mike Foley failed the professionalism test. He failed it first on social media, again on Doodie, and for a third time in a poorly worded and disingenious apology. That’s three strikes and as an outsider looking in - I’d say folks need to demand him out.

You can do all of the good in the world - and still fuck up beyond all repair. If Foley wants to maintain status within USPSA - I suggest he make a heartfelt public apology, and not run for re-election when his term is up. If he wants to look like a pedantic child - he can continue acting like he is.

As for Stoeger -

Stoeger is a shit stirring smarmy d-bag that lots of folks don’t like - but he’s one man - beating many men with experience and skill right now. Like a clever prosecutor getting a defendant to incriminate themselves on the stand - Stoeger is merely walking from USPSA strawpile to strawpile setting them on fire. And showing the world what happens. It strikes me that the “old boys” who talk garbage while squadded up haven’t figured out how to “solve” guys like Stoeger or Berry yet. Because they don’t realize the solution is to make them board members and make them professional reps of the Org - eliminating their ability to talk shit about “the man” because they are “the man”.

——-

Anyways what this all taught me is - USPSA might as well stand for “United States Practical Shooting Amateurs” for the way they have acted in this scenario. Makes me seriously reconsider IDPA. Or starting my own shooting club (with blackjack and hookers).

User Tag List