Thread: Walther PPS Classic striker movement

Walther PPS Classic striker movement

While using some new snap caps (KP Tactical) with the soft rubber primer, I was wondering how much cushion they actually provide. I took the slide off with the snap cap still in the chamber and pushed the striker forward while pressing the firing pin safety plunger. I found that striker tab contacts the plastic striker spacer sleeve before being cushioned by the rubber primer. When I examined how far the striker actually protrudes through the slide breech face hole, I was surprised that the pin doesn't protrude very far. So it looks like even when I use snap caps, the striker is still slamming against the spacer sleeve without any cushion since the striker does not protrude very far past the breech face of the slide. I'm wondering why I never got failures due to light strikes. If I push the striker forward more to where it moves the spacer sleeve forward then the striker protrudes more and looks more like what I would expect to see.

Just wondering if I have an out of tolerance striker or if this is something that all PPS Classic pistols exhibit. I need to get some pictures of this.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Pic of what I am talking about. This is with the firing pin safety pressed and the striker pushed forward to where the striker tab contacts the spacer sleeve. Not a lot of striker exposed.

Name:  DSC_2067.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  31.0 KB
    Last edited by Irelander; 06-05-2018 at 07:00 AM.

I've never had an light strike failures with this PPS but I was wondering if the little bit of striker pin protrusion is normal and I should stop worrying about it...or if I need to acquire a new striker. Any help is appreciated.

Did you call Walther CS, or post something on this in the Walther forum?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I normally post here first as I trust the information and professionalism here the most. I'll post this on the Walther forum and see what ensues.

Site Supporter
    I suggest that you examine primers of cases fired in your gun to see what that tells you. I think that if it shoots reliably, then you don't have a problem. For decades I examined a very large number of my firearms to satisfy curiosity. Whenever I found something that seemed wrong to me, I later found out that this something was normal. I'm sure that I ran a few customer service people nuts. When looking at fired primers and then drawing an imaginary line between breech face and the bottom of the indentation of the fired primer, I doubt that the firing pin bottoms out at this point. I think that the pin is hitting the primer with sufficient force to bring about firing without having to protrude a great distance. By limiting the pin's distance, the designer is guarding against pierced primers. Enjoy your pistol.

Thanks. I need to get a pic up of some fired cases. The primer dents look shallow to me but all fired.

My gut feeling is that everything is fine but since I carry this gun everyday, I want to make sure its all good.

User Tag List