Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros/cons of cross draw carry?

Thanks, guys. Like I said, mostly hypothetical, I knew there were issues but wasn't clear on what they all were. Now I am . Later.

Dave

Crossdraw has advantages and is viable within a reasonably narrow context. Flagging can be mitigated, but few will teach crossdraw techniques well.

I've found that the most viable alternative to crossdraw is ankle carry.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Pros/cons of cross draw carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    There are only two places were cross draw has merit.

First: if you're going into a gunfight with Johnny Ringo and he's your Huckleberry.
    I must admit I saw this thread and thought (briefly) about a holster option for cross draw of my Ruger Blackhawk.

I mean, how cool would that be?

Kidding, obviously.

Maybe. [emoji41]
    Last edited by RJ; 06-05-2018 at 05:57 PM.

^^^ They can be usable as a field holster if having a gun on the right side is a problem, and getting the gun out fast isnt needed, or for long barreled revolvers.

Actually, it does seem to be a solution for me in certain circumstances. 3" K frame in a DM Bullard purpose built cross draw holster. Worn at the 1030ish to 11 o'clock position, almost like AOWB. Holster has enough rake to it that it doesn't interfere with sitting. I use it mostly fall, winter, and spring months due to driving between projects, and getting out and sitting in the cab of a backhoe or excavator. Hides great under a hoodie, it really shines when I have Carhartt insulated bib type coveralls, which have a front zipper. It's the only way I can carry in this scenario that actually gives me good access. I went to it since pocket carry was a disaster for me. My pockets tend to fill up with mud and shit if I'm down in a pit or trench, which I often have to do in order to consult, inspect, or help do a confirmation for my crew's.
    The draw mechanics require a bit of rethinking, especially getting the off side arm clear. I find that one step back with my right foot turns me from head on to a bladed position, reducing the chance of muzzling others.
    Check out Mas Ayoob's video on it.
    Also worked really well for me after a shoulder injury when I couldn't draw my 4" N frame from 3 o'clock IWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I must admit I saw this thread and thought (briefly) about a holster option for cross draw of my Ruger Blackhawk.

I mean, how cool would that be?

Kidding, obviously.

Maybe. [emoji41]
    As cool as a nice floral carved cross draw holster would be for my nickel plated M29. Sigh, substance over style can be a drag.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    As cool as a nice floral carved cross draw holster would be for my nickel plated M29. Sigh, substance over style can be a drag.
    It worked for Lone Wolf McQuade.

Somewhat related...

In FoF I've found that guys who stashed their training knives in the cross draw position were fairly easy to disarm.

User Tag List