Thread: Combat Mini 44 mag Conversion by Mag-na-port ?

Combat Mini 44 mag Conversion by Mag-na-port ?

Anyone have any real life experience with one of these? I been considering one for a while, but just couldn't talk myself into butchering up a Mod 57 or 58. Well, lo and behold, I found a 58 done with the full package, and a 3" barrel.
    Does the porting actually help, or does it just make it obnoxious?

http://www.magnaport.com/conv.html

My only experience with Mag-na-port was on a very heavy recoiling Contender barrel. As a recoil management system it is inferior to more modern brakes.

That said, my 3" 629 was pretty obnoxious without porting. I doubt Mag-na-porting would have made it worse.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

With some high pressure loads, you can tell a difference ..... with others, not so much. In all cases it makes the report a bit louder, but nothing like what you would associate with a modern muzzle break. I would be more inclined to have a shorter barrel (say, 6" or less) ported than a longer one, but that's just my own preference.

My go-to hunting revolver is a S&W Mod 657 with the Mag-na-Port "Stalker" treatment and a friend of mine has several S&W DA and Ruger SA conversions from their shop. They do good work and I wouldn't hesitate for one second to use them again.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 06-04-2018 at 06:57 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

I used to shoot one of the three-inch PC 629 revolvers with the Quadra-Port treatment. It did make a difference in muzzle rise, and it was obnoxiously loud. So was an unported three-inch 629. I also used to hunt with a "Stalker" Ruger Super Blackhawk.

I have to admit I prefer the "Tame the Beast" Hybra-Porting originated by Jack Weigand and now done by Marc Morganti at Gemini Customs in Frankfort, KY. Those revolvers are the only guns I own that recoil downward.

My first revolver was a full house Magna Port Model 57. Shot competition with it and everything else. I am a huge fan. Recoil was straight back. I have shot a ton (and own too many) snub big bores. I would be all over a 3” Magna Port 58 like a fat kid on cake.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Anyone think $2500 is out of line for it? Stainless, and I can't see any warts. I figure the price of a good 58, plus all the work. Is that price justified?

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Anyone think $2500 is out of line for it? Stainless, and I can't see any warts. I figure the price of a good 58, plus all the work. Is that price justified?
    If the base gun is a M58, the gun is not stainless. It may be finished in the MagNaLife finish, which I believe is a hard chrome finish. To be stainless, the base gun would be a M658, and I am pretty sure S&W never made one. I found the revolver on GB, and it is not stainless. The dual-detent lockup is nice.

$2500? Not to me, but I am not a .41 Magnum fan. A M58 can be found for $1000 and another $1200 will do the conversion and finish. Custom guns usually sell at a discount to the cost needed to build them.

Shit, $2200, plus shipping, plus not having a wait time? Not quite sure how I can resist this.
    Thinking my next few posts will be in the "For Sale or Trade" section here.

User Tag List